What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have something similar that I replaced the corojo seco with Nica Habano seco to which tamed the pepper and added more cocoa and earth[/QUOTe

My BH clone is next up. Prepped the leaf tonight so I'll be rolling tomorrow or the next day. That marshmallow note is sounds really interesting.
So you dropped the 1/2 leaf of Corojo seco and stayed with the 1/2 leaf of NHS or did you increase it to a 1 leaf?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I would swap it equally. The corojo viso is plenty spicy without needing any more corojo. My recent blends haven't had the toasted marshmallow that the blend that has some corojo seco in it though. That blend was super tasty but lacked spice because I didn't use much viso I believe. I need to order more leaf soon so I can roll some more of that blend even though I wish it had more spice it was really good

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Good evening brothers.
I rolled a few cigars last night using theTerroso Profundo blend from whole leaf tobacco. I used three leaves of Seco and one leaf of ligero. I'm very happy with how they turned out. I could have rolled them a little tighter in hind sigt. But the one I smoked earlier this evening, already
Posted in the today's smoke thread, turned out very nice. I think it'll be really nice in a week or or more.

I already posted this on instagram, but I wanted to thank @BrewinHooligan here as well. I don't think I would have ever started down the path of rolling cigars if he didn't post this thread. I am really enjoying my rolling adventures so far, and I just wanted to thank @BrewinHooligan for posting this thread and being the primary driver behind me moving forward in this thoroughly enjoyable past time of rolling cigars.

k

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That is awesome! I have always thought this thread would be really cool if I could just get one more person in the hobby. I'm passionate about my hobbies and like to be able to make things myself. With as much as I love cigars, it made sense to roll my own so I could have a better understanding of the cigars I smoke. Keep it up!!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I haven't jumped in yet. I've been spending entirely too much on cigars to smoke and haven't had any to spare for rolling. I guess I need to read the thread on financial responsibility again.

That being said, has anybody tried Cameroon long filler in their blend? I was thinking Cameroon seco, Brazilian Havana viso, Dominican Piloto Cubano ligero, bound in an Ecuadorian shade and Wrapped in Indonesian Besuki would be good. Probably pricy though.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I haven't jumped in yet. I've been spending entirely too much on cigars to smoke and haven't had any to spare for rolling. I guess I need to read the thread on financial responsibility again.

That being said, has anybody tried Cameroon long filler in their blend? I was thinking Cameroon seco, Brazilian Havana viso, Dominican Piloto Cubano ligero, bound in an Ecuadorian shade and Wrapped in Indonesian Besuki would be good. Probably pricy though.
I haven't tried Cameroon yet, not sure that is available but I haven't sought it out either. What's great about home rolling is that you can try whatever you want as long as the leaf you want is readily available. You do get a much better feel for each individual variety of leaf as play around with blending.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm sure this has been asked before. However, the thread doesn't have a search tool on Chrome.

Does anybody know how many cigars you could get out of a 2lb combo pack from leafonly.com? I'm thinking 5"x48 since that is their smallest mold.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Smoking blend #2. 100days of rest. SA Wrapper, Dom binder, Dom lig, Corojo viso, and Corojo seco. Rolled some BH marshmallow clones today. Had to increase the leaf count to get the RG. Hoping the ratio didn't change to much for the marshmallow.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Smoking blend #2. 100days of rest. SA Wrapper, Dom binder, Dom lig, Corojo viso, and Corojo seco. Rolled some BH marshmallow clones today. Had to increase the leaf count to get the RG. Hoping the ratio didn't change to much for the marshmallow.
How did blend 2 turn out? Sounds like a nice, balanced blend with a bit of spice.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So, I was watching some rolling videos on You Tube. I ran across one from Tim Torres where he mentions cigar rollers spraying the sticks with flavoring. He mentions a couple of flavors and gives a "yeah right" look. While I was looking in to some other tobacco issues I found other references to the practice. It seems that it is actually a practice that goes back to at least the late 1800s.

I'm wondering how much of this is still done in modern cigar manufacturing? It wouldn't be hard since you have to moisten the leaves to work with. Plus, even RJ Reynolds was working on flavorings for cigars. So, it had to be something that was thought to be easy to accomplish on a massive scale. Just another turn in the road, or something to pursue?

A book I ran into on another forum during my search.
http://www.leffingwell.com/download/TobaccoFlavorBook.pdf

The word for the process is petune or petuning. Apparently it goes back to at least the 1500's when Indian societies in Central and South America would add citric acids from fruit peels to their tobacco. It has also been used in Cuban cigar manufacturing. No, this isn't infusing like an acid or goopy topping like your favorite Pina Colada cigarillo from the 7-11.

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc6321/m1/8/
Page 8

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
These were sitting in the mold the last couple days so I finally wrapped them tonight. Had a little bit of an aha moment tonight finding that a 2" wide strip of wrapper is easier to work with on these small perfectos instead of a wider piece of leaf. Same blend as last time. Just ordered some more corojo seco today so I can roll more of the toasted marshmallow blend.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
These were sitting in the mold the last couple days so I finally wrapped them tonight. Had a little bit of an aha moment tonight finding that a 2" wide strip of wrapper is easier to work with on these small perfectos instead of a wider piece of leaf. Same blend as last time. Just ordered some more corojo seco today so I can roll more of the toasted marshmallow blend.
The corojo seco gives you the toasted marshmallow? Interesting.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The corojo seco gives you the toasted marshmallow? Interesting.
I don't think it is the corojo seco by itself, but the corojo seco with the rest of the tobaccos seems to be what creates those flavors. I haven't experienced it in any other blend and I have had other blends with the corojo seco that didn't have that marshmallow flavor.