What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good things come in small packages.... At least in the cigar world..
Decided to roll up a mini cheroot this morning. And I think I have found a winner.
.5- Dominican seco
1-corojo viso
.5-criollo ligero
The flavors were exploding. I was blown away. Roasted nuts, earth, baking spices, with a hint of black pepper and creamy chocolate. Right up my alley.
Decided to pull the trigger on this mold. It is in the best condition I have seen on eBay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301846465880
Thinking this blend will be my first "regular production".

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Decided to roll up a mini cheroot this morning. And I think I have found a winner.
.5- Dominican seco
1-corojo viso
.5-criollo ligero
The flavors were exploding. I was blown away. Roasted nuts, earth, baking spices, with a hint of black pepper and creamy chocolate. Right up my alley.
Decided to pull the trigger on this mold. It is in the best condition I have seen on eBay.
That sounds like an excellent blend man! I can't wait to hear what happens to the flavors when you slap a wrapper on it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
.5- Dominican seco
1-corojo viso
.5-criollo ligero
The corojo/criollo combo is really tough to beat imo.

I honestly very rarely buy commercial sticks anymore. I have figured out what I like for the most part but there are still things I will seek out and purchase, I'm just far more picky now

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So obviously I'm wanting to roll this blend into a bigger vitola.
Do you guys think I will get about the same results with:
1-dom seco
2-corojo viso
.5-criollo lig
I guess I can just roll a bigger cheroot and give it a shot, but wanting to see if you guys think my conversion is correct. I guess I should probably use a whole leaf of lig but the strength was about where I want it.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
1-dom seco
2-corojo viso
.5-criollo lig
I guess I can just roll a bigger cheroot and give it a shot, but wanting to see if you guys think my conversion is correct. I guess I should probably use a whole leaf of lig but the strength was about where I want it.
It might not be the same without all the ligero though. Try it both ways and report back!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
1-dom seco
2-corojo viso
.5-criollo lig
You want to scale up all the leaf equally or you will get something surprisingly different. I was amazed with my marshmallow blend how increasing the seco by a half leaf and dialing back the viso by a half leaf made a completely different cigar. Roll some both ways and see for yourself. That's half the fun of rolling your own!

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
1-dom seco
2-corojo viso
.5-criollo lig
3.5 leaves so.... 48 rg?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is that only Nica Habano seco? And how is it? Sounds like I should give this a shot
Dom binder but straight Nic habano seco fill. I think I'm getting a better grasp of where certain flavors are coming from though I'm learning the hard way that some tobaccos just don't mix well. I've been going over some blends I didn't like trying to pinpoint where the bad stuff was coming from. After smoking all these cheroots I'm realizing it wasn't the strains, alone they're very tasty, it was just the blending.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You want to scale up all the leaf equally or you will get something surprisingly different. I was amazed with my marshmallow blend how increasing the seco by a half leaf and dialing back the viso by a half leaf made a completely different cigar. Roll some both ways and see for yourself. That's half the fun of rolling your own!
I'm gonna run out of leaf just testing! Really liking the cheroots though. Dry enough to smoke right off the table, and you get a good idea of what the blend will be once you add a wrapper.
It is all fun and games.... Until you realize that you have to let them rest to get accurate results.... And in the meantime I'm finding it harder and harder to reach for a Comercial brand to hold me over.. So cheroots it is.

3.5 leaves so.... 48 rg?

48 would be perfect. I usually use 3.5 to 4 leaves for my filler. And I get anywhere from about a 45 rg to a 60 lol. All depends on how tight I roll my binder and how long I want them. Generally I like mine around 5 inches. But consistency seems to elude me at times.

Last edited: