What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This thread is killing me. I keep wanting to get started and then I freeze. I know nothing about blending or rolling. I get racked with indecision trying to put something together.

Is the only way to learn really trial and error?
A wise pro that was generous to share some blending advice with me told me that a blend needs to be balanced with seco, viso, and ligero. I have only rolled a few things since that don't have all three primings and the ones that do tend to be the best. If you are sensitive to nicotine you can certainly scale back the strength of any blend, that is the beauty of rolling your own. If you have leaf types that you know you like (I for instance love corojo and criollo) start with those. Read the descriptions of the other strains available and see if the flavors they describe would compliment each other or not. It's mostly just trial and error. A leaf can taste one way on its own and become something very different in a blend. To date I have 22 different filler blends that I have rolled, most of them with 3 different wrapper types. That's 66 unique cigars. Some blends hit, some blends don't. I've never rolled something that I absolutely hated yet though. Also, don't judge a blend too soon. Sometimes it can take a few months for a stick to come into its own. I have had sticks that at the two week mark I did not care for, two months later something magical happened and it was an entirely different experience. Start with a kit to get the basics of rolling down, then start buying samples of different things that sound good and get as crazy as you want to. Rolling has become an addiction for me, I roll WAY more cigars than I smoke and I get every bit as much satisfaction rolling them as I do smoking them, sometimes even more satisfaction.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep wanting to get started and then I freeze. I know nothing about blending or rolling. I get racked with indecision trying to put something together
I could have wrote this word for word.
Is the only way to learn really trial and error?
Yes. unless your a master by nature. If it turns out your not, then like the rest of us, without hands on training,
pay attention to detail and, get in there.
Do not let discouragement get in the way of your encouragement. As well as ours.
There are no dumb questions. join the other forums if you haven't.
here are some play lists. they may not all be useful so much but;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6B443D55985FD3D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-AdMbvzw94RKYrBrkmwueTmcFEdGaF2v

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Rolling has become an addiction for me, I roll WAY more cigars than I smoke and I get every bit as much satisfaction rolling them as I do smoking them, sometimes even more satisfaction.
I completely agree with this, the rolling process is so much fun. As you all know, i hardly smoke at all, but when i do, I am very picky on what I grab from the humi. Home rolls are first lately!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks to @nic and @waikikigun I have just ordered two new molds. Won't know for sure what sizes I am getting until I hear back from the vendor, but hoping for a 40rg and 44rg mold. Be prepared for some good looking Hooligan long and skinnies! The freehand rolling has been fun and rewarding, but I know I can make a more consistent and better looking stick with a mold and for the price I just couldn't say no...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Brazilian blend testing again, kind of sweet and silky smooth, with a touch of pepper

If you don't mind, what is the blend? I've been thinking of Brazilian Havana Viso and Dominican Piloto Cubano seco bound in PA Oscuro, and wrapped in Besuki.

Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If you don't mind, what is the blend? I've been thinking of Brazilian Havana ciao and Dominican Piloto Cubano seco bound in PA Oscuro, and wrapped in Besuki.
I absolutely do not mind! And i love blend ideas since I'm very new to this yet, but I'm a very experimental person, so it's quite fun. Anyways, enough yapping, blend:

.5 Brazilian viso
.5 Nicaraguan Seco
.5 Dominican ligero
Dominican binder

These are very small torpedoes, roughly 36 x 4.5", so the wrapper is going to play a huge roll in the flavor profile. I'm thinking SA or a broad leaf.

I have not used besuki, any notable flavors you discern from it? Also, I'm not sure which Dominican Seco leafonly has, but i did like the stuff from whole leaf.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
So not only do I plan on getting in to this, my pops is very interested as well. I'll be ordering a kit soon, and we're going to get together for a rolling session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do it, you'll have so much fun! Plus a kit is only 30 bucks shipped! You'll spend more on that for a 5er of sticks of equal or lessor quality than what you can roll.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I absolutely do not mind! And i love blend ideas since I'm very new to this yet, but I'm a very experimental person, so it's quite fun. Anyways, enough yapping, blend:

.5 Brazilian viso
.5 Nicaraguan Seco
.5 Dominican ligero
Dominican binder

These are very small torpedoes, roughly 36 x 4.5", so the wrapper is going to play a huge roll in the flavor profile. I'm thinking SA or a broad leaf.

I have not used besuki, any notable flavors you discern from it? Also, I'm not sure which Dominican Seco leafonly has, but i did like the stuff from whole leaf.

Besuki has (imo) a slightly sweet flavor between Sumatra and Connecticut, there is a slight woody taste, it is quite smooth and mild/medium. It doesn't have the "green" taste that Connecticut can have and it doesn't have the spice or funky sweetness of Sumatra. I've heard some folks say it has a white bread taste.

The easy way to say it is, Besuki plays the middle ground between Sumatra and Connecticut without any of the negatives of either. Yet, it has a distinct taste. The guys at Bull City Cigars roll a lancero with Dominican filler, Ecuadorian Habano binder, and Besuki wrapper. It is one of my favorite spring time cigars.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Besuki has (imo) a slightly sweet flavor between Sumatra and Connecticut, there is a slight woody taste, it is quite smooth and mild/medium. It doesn't have the "green" taste that Connecticut can have and it doesn't have the spice or funky sweetness of Sumatra. I've heard some folks say it has a white bread taste.

The easy way to say it is, Besuki plays the middle ground between Sumatra and Connecticut without any of the negatives of either. Yet, it has a distinct taste. The guys at Bull City Cigars roll a lancero with Dominican filler, Ecuadorian Habano binder, and Besuki wrapper. It is one of my favorite spring time cigars.
Interesting, I'll have to grab one and try for myself!