What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you and your friend can try a torpedo mold next.
I managed to make clean looking sticks for a year with just flush molds. I would always press the molded bunches hard against my board to subsume the seams into the body of the bunch before wrapping; and sometimes I would spray the bunch with water to soften it for that purpose if the bunch had been drying for a few days before the wrap.
But now I have four standard "mortise-tenon" molds and am happy about that.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm guessing you haven't tried any of that seco yet, smoke-wise? I bought a sampler and might cheroot that sucker this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Haven't tried smoking it yet, waiting for the test blends to rest a little longer so I don't judge too soon. I didn't roll any cheroots or anything with it either, but it looks and smells top notch.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

As promised, cheroot with the ec. seco.
I like my way to ensure proper comparison with new leaves, take it 50:50 with my favorite Brazilian viso and check how the flavor changes.

As for flavors, I'm getting some nice sweetness, maybe some cherry, dry cocoa. Not bad with the creamy smoothness of the Brazilian.

Final edit notes, started to get some spice including nutmeg, the sweetness persisted, but the cherry/fruits started to fade. Could be a result of fresh binder though. Overall, should be fun to blend.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
From previous taste experiences Piloto Cubano usually is earth with a light cinnamon and nutmeg that develops some passing vanilla notes and a nutty taste between cashews and peanuts.
I have some Piloto viso. I haven't picked up any cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or nuttiness with it but definitely an earthiness. I just think I haven't found the right blend for it yet. I have a new one I just recently rolled that will be tested in a few weeks after they get acclimated.

Glad to hear of the cherries in the Ecuadorian Habano seco. I get that from the Ec Habano wrapper I use and absolutely love it. Will have to name a blend "Cherry Bomb" I'm thinking.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have some Piloto viso. I haven't picked up any cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or nuttiness with it but definitely an earthiness. I just think I haven't found the right blend for it yet. I have a new one I just recently rolled that will be tested in a few weeks after they get acclimated.

Glad to hear of the cherries in the Ecuadorian Habano seco. I get that from the Ec Habano wrapper I use and absolutely love it. Will have to name a blend "Cherry Bomb" I'm thinking.
I'll see how your piloto blends work, i have way too much leaf to combine right now, it's ridiculous.

But yes the ec seco seems pretty good and the leaves are huge as you showed above. I am curious to see how it ages and if it mellows or if the flavors get more pronounced.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That came from an all Dominican PC filler with an Ecuadorian Habano binder and no wrapper. The thing I keep hearing about PC is that it is bold for a Dominican tobacco but is easily overshadowed by Nic and Honduran tobacco.

The vanilla is a passing flavor that comes only occasionally and in the background. It isn't a foundation flavor and I never get it before the last third.

Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Blend test #2:
1 Nicaraguan Seco
1 Brazilian viso
.5 Nicaraguan ligero
Dominican binder
San andreas wrapper

Just like the blend from last weekend but much spicier. Started with a Pepin pepper blast then subsided to baking spices, including a dry cocoa flavor towards the middle.