What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ah, okay. You know you can use honey, jam, pineapple juice, all kinds of stuff the Cubans use in a pinch... looking forward to seeing your first rolls!
No need, because after some hunting, I just scored 8 ounces of pure Xanthan Gum. We're off to the races. Will report back once things have been sufficiently FUBARed! Ooh. I like that. FUBAR. F***ed Up By Amateur Roller. May have just coined my first marca.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice looking sticks, Marc. What's the wrapper?
Great to see you here, smoke!
Hey y'all, is anyone here tight with the admin? Would it be a cool idea to ask if we could have our own section rather than just one humongous thread? Maybe a section in the "Brothers" section, like a Rollers section or something?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Nice looking sticks, Marc. What's the wrapper?
Great to see you here, smoke!
Hey y'all, is anyone here tight with the admin? Would it be a cool idea to ask if we could have our own section rather than just one humongous thread? Maybe a section in the "Brothers" section, like a Rollers section or something?
I like how you think Blake! Shoot @Eric a pm, maybe he can make that happen.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sadly, I did not. The local grocery had no xanthan gum and/or employees capable of finding it. Instead, I did gnaw on some of the leaf, hoping it would give me magical rolling abilities. It made me sorta queasy, so I think it's working?
I have read that the raw leaf is poisonous if eaten. Don't know the extent or truth of that. I know that dogs like to chew on the stems and bits that fall on the floor, and I know that FX Smith's Sons sells bales of stems to pigeon breeders, cause apparently pigeons like to nest in the stuff; so you wouldn't think it could be that bad. Plus. of course, people gnaw on chewin baccer.

But the real reason I'm posting is, if you want glue from the grocery, there's always fruit pectin. Works okay but tastes a bit of bitter citrus. Or you can go to a craft store and get cellulose glue. That's essentially cellulose glue. Works well, sticks better than pectin, and best of all it's tasteless. Safe as the day is long, which's why teachers use it in kindergarten for crafts. Wallpaper paste is cellulose too. So is bermacol, which is what they use in FXSS's cigar factory. Same stuff; different names. They mix bermacol thinner for machines than what hand rollers do. Doesn't take much. About what fits on the tip of a pallette knife mixes into a thick clear jelly in a little wee Tupperware pill cup. That much lasts me a month. Nothing wrong with cellulose glue at all.

Just sayin', there's quicker and cheaper ways to skin the cat when a guy can't find xanthan.

Then there's always the example of deluxestogie from the FTT forum. Absolute encyclopedia of knowledge about tobaccos and cigars, that man, grows and cures his own leaf, all sorts of varieties you never heard of, been rolling his own cigars for 30 years, never uses glue at all. Rolls 'em, licks e'em, smokes 'em, just like that.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have read that the raw leaf is poisonous if eaten. Don't know the extent or truth of that.
Extremely toxic and easily lethal. I got this quote from a homebrew forum but I believe its originally from Wikipedia.

"Toxicology

The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg can be a lethal dosage for adult human beings. This makes it an extremely deadly poison. It is more toxic than many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has a lethal dose of 1000 mg. The LD50 of cocaine when administered to mice is 95.1 mg/kg.

The amount of nicotine inhaled with tobacco smoke is a fraction of the amount contained in the tobacco leaves (most of the substance is destroyed by the heat). The amount of nicotine absorbed by the body from smoking depends on many factors, including the type of tobacco, whether the smoke is inhaled, and whether a filter is used. For chewing tobacco, often called dip, snuff, or snus, which is held in the mouth between the lip and gum, the amount released into the body tends to be much greater than smoked tobacco."

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I have read that the raw leaf is poisonous if eaten. Don't know the extent or truth of that. I know that dogs like to chew on the stems and bits that fall on the floor, and I know that FX Smith's Sons sells bales of stems to pigeon breeders, cause apparently pigeons like to nest in the stuff; so you wouldn't think it could be that bad. Plus. of course, people gnaw on chewin baccer.

But the real reason I'm posting is, if you want glue from the grocery, there's always fruit pectin. Works okay but tastes a bit of bitter citrus. Or you can go to a craft store and get cellulose glue. That's essentially cellulose glue. Works well, sticks better than pectin, and best of all it's tasteless. Safe as the day is long, which's why teachers use it in kindergarten for crafts. Wallpaper paste is cellulose too. So is bermacol, which is what they use in FXSS's cigar factory. Same stuff; different names. They mix bermacol thinner for machines than what hand rollers do. Doesn't take much. About what fits on the tip of a pallette knife mixes into a thick clear jelly in a little wee Tupperware pill cup. That much lasts me a month. Nothing wrong with cellulose glue at all.

Just sayin', there's quicker and cheaper ways to skin the cat when a guy can't find xanthan.

Then there's always the example of deluxestogie from the FTT forum. Absolute encyclopedia of knowledge about tobaccos and cigars, that man, grows and cures his own leaf, all sorts of varieties you never heard of, been rolling his own cigars for 30 years, never uses glue at all. Rolls 'em, licks e'em, smokes 'em, just like that.
Thank you very much for all the insight! I've been lurking on the FTT forums for a bit, and it's almost daunting what a wealth of information is possessed by the membership. I can only imagine most guys will forget more than I'll ever learn about the subject.

Ultimately, I did manage to get the Xanthan, and so I'm going to have a go of it tonight after work. I've spent the last several hours watching YouTube videos on rolling, and besides briefly getting distracted by the epicness of Willy Herrera's beard, I think I learned a lot. Either way, report will follow tonight.

Fingers crossed!

Spenny

EDIT: Also, I didn't actually consume any leaf, that was a joke which may have come off as reckless behavior.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone. I finally made it in here! Thanks MarcL. The Yahoo e-mail did it.
Hey Gdaddy, not much bliss over at Bliss today. What happened over there? Heard anything? Waiki go wacky or what?

If you post any pics of your beautiful rolls over here, these guys will all get discouraged, might turn to smoking Virginia Slims.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The LD50 of nicotine
That's why I always prefer LD47.
is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice.
Hey, if you are measuring your rats by the kilo, then you have got bigger problems
The amount of nicotine inhaled with tobacco smoke is a fraction of the amount contained in the tobacco leaves (most of the substance is destroyed by the heat). The ... the amount released into the body tends to be much greater than smoked tobacco."
You know my motto: Safety Third