What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok, so Brazilian Villain #11 was the first iteration of blend #1 (aka i ran out of criollo ligero and subbed in Dominican). And i really liked my first blend a lot! I have not had the #11 yet, but now I'm excited for it

Blend:
0.5 Dominican ligero
1 Dominican Seco
1 Brazilian viso
Dominican binder
Various wrappers

The torpedo was equal parts of everything

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Hell, that sounds delicious. I would love to try one of you ever get production up enough to sell/trade.

Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hell, that sou de delicious. I would love to try one of you ever get production up enough to sell/trade.
Well, I'm going to have to crank these out real fast, since my local botl ordered a box! I'll see how fast i can crank these out, but definitely remind me in the future for trades!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, I'm going to have to crank these out real fast, since my local botl ordered a box! I'll see how fast i can crank these out, but definitely remind me in the future for trades!

If you're still in Durham we'll have to meet up at Bull City Cigars one night and work it out over some smokes.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Oh damn, you're in Durham too!? I haven't been to bull city cigar yet!

I live less than twenty minutes away and work literally less than three blocks away. I am there on every payday. I love the atmosphere in their lounge. I was in there talking to a guy that worked for Death Row and Aftermath records when a guy showed up that worked for Def Jam. Another night we helped a couple celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary and talked cigars while hail came down outside. It is a super chill place with people of all walks of life mingling over great smokes.

Everything from CEOs to garbage collectors show up and mingle. Plus, I just love their Corojo Maduro and shade grown Ecuador sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calculate 75 cents apiece for my standard perfectos. That's not a guess; that's calculated.

Here's how it comes out so thrifty: I roll 5 1/4" 50rg perfectos. That's the main thing. I use a mold, and I make a bunch which will just fit that mold. So there's no loose ends to chop with a tuck cutter. It's all in the feel of the bunch in your fist. A perfecto matches the natural shape of the leaf. This means there is virtually no wasted leaf at all. When you roll a parejo, you chop a bunch off each end to get your consistent length. Not with a perfecto. Also, I take the inner part of the leaf, the part which I cut out when I cut the outer crescent for a wrapper, and I use that as the binder on the next cigar. One half leaf of Habano 2000 provides both binder and wrapper.

That said, you do go thru a certain amount of wastage until you find the blend you like. But, what the hell, I go thru the same rate of wastage rolling the dice on premiums I don't like. Once you have settled on a couple blends you dig, roll up a couple score, you are golden.

Here's one of my current faves. I call it the Mataloto Uppowoc Perfecto, Consists of Piloto Cubano and Mata Fina fillers, bound and wrapped in Habano 2000:

This perfecto will smoke for an hour and a half to two hours (I smoke slow). I'll take one of these over store bought any day. I rolled my current batch of 50 last November; so they are in their prime condition now.

One last word: Here in Dull-Aware, we have a lot of damp days. It can be damn hard to get a premium to burn well. They roll them too tight. I hate re-lighting a stick. Always tastes stanky after a re-light. These Uppowoc Perfectos, OTOH, I roll a tad looser, then I let them set for months. And I make surfe to select blends from leaves that will burn a la vela. I can nub one of these bad boys every time. My good friend FirstWarrior gave me a primo nub fork which sees good use.

Fantastic videos Web!! Very nicely done and very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

1 Criollo Seco
1 Corojo Viso
1 Criollo Ligero
Binder : Cameroon
Wrapper : Criollo 98
5.25x44
Would love to hear your tasting notes when you fire this one up! I have something similar I have rolled recently but haven't tried with a different wrapper. Did you use filler to wrap or did you find criollo wrapper somewhere?

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Would love to hear your tasting notes when you fire this one up! I have something similar I have rolled recently but haven't tried with a different wrapper. Did you use filler to wrap or did you find criollo wrapper somewhere?
I bought all of the leaf that @PJoyce85 had for sale, minus what you managed to get. In there was exactly 1 leaf of that wrapper. I really like that blend though, I'm planing on rolling as many as I have leaf. I haven't settled on a wrapper yet. I have a few more tests to smoke through. I need to get wrapper and binder ordered from Jorge here soon.

Oh, and I figured that blend would get your attention @BrewinHooligan .

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I bought all of the leaf that @PJoyce85 had for sale, minus what you managed to get. In there was exactly 1 leaf of that wrapper. I really like that blend though, I'm planing on rolling as many as I have leaf. I haven't settled on a wrapper yet. I have a few more tests to smoke through. I need to get wrapper and binder ordered from Jorge here soon.

Oh, and I figured that blend would get your attention @BrewinHooligan .
I just ordered binder and ligero from Jorge. Anxious to see how it is.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered binder and ligero from Jorge. Anxious to see how it is.
In two different orders I've got two different binders (seems like that's how it is in this biz). I'll be interested to see what the luck of the draw brings you.
Your basic formula will use .5 leaves ligero. It's potent. A basic corona will be what I call 1155. 1 volado(seco), 1.5 seco(viso), .5 ligero. Your basic robusto or equivalent will be 1/2/.5. This has worked for me, with Jorge leaf and the CT wrapper, to produce high-end pro-quality sticks, and is in accordance with long-time Cuban formulas.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In two different orders I've got two different binders (seems like that's how it is in this biz). I'll be interested to see what the luck of the draw brings you.
Your basic formula will use .5 leaves ligero. It's potent. A basic corona will be what I call 1155. 1 volado(seco), 1.5 seco(viso), .5 ligero. Your basic robusto or equivalent will be 1/2/.5. This has worked for me, with Jorge leaf and the CT wrapper, to produce high-end pro-quality sticks, and is in accordance with long-time Cuban formulas.
Would the 1/2/5 formula work on 48 rg? Also, can you flip it to 2/1/5 for a milder smoke.