What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Would like some comment on the San Andres wrapper from LO. Planning to buy some,
Thanks.
It is small and takes more effort to roll a decent stick with than with larger leafs. If you want to roll a lot of sticks it will be a bit frustrating in that regard. I've used it on and off for a year for my light creamy chocolatey-type blends. But in general I prefer more "wrapper-sized" leaves, because I roll a lot. It's a bit like the LO Cameroon wrapper in that regard, if you've used that.
It's also pretty rustic and sometimes fights against lying smooth and flat on your board, similar in that respect to the LO Brazilian wrapper, but more so.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I priced out what I thought I would need to start rolling a cigar I would like. It was about $60 with shipping. That doesn't include any of the extras like glue or molds. I also failed to price storage for the leaf.

Maybe when the overtime starts up again.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I priced out what I thought I would need to start rolling a cigar I would like. It was about $60 with shipping. That doesn't include any of the extras like glue or molds. I also failed to price storage for the leaf.

Maybe when the overtime starts up again.
I'm gonna make a mildly controversial statement here and say that this is not a hobby you get into just to save money. That'd kinda like saying you buy a boat to save money on your sailing trips. I understand that guys are gonna jump on my ass for this and talk about their awesome 75 cent sticks, but that's not being fair to you. If your main concern is saving ducats you should look into bundles that seem to meet your profile. There's tons of ways to lay out money trying to get a stick you like in this hobby, and tons of ways to fail to make a stick you like while you're laying out the money. Look at me: 2-$3000 and several hours a day for a year to get where I wanted. Woulda bought a lot of sweet bundles. But I wouldn't have acheived the depth of knowledge and understanding of cigars I have, and I would have played even more Battlefield.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm gonna make a mildly controversial statement here and say that this is not a hobby you get into just to save money. That'd kinda like saying you buy a boat to save money on your sailing trips. I understand that guys are gonna jump on my ass for this and talk about their awesome 75 cent sticks, but that's not being fair to you. If your main concern is saving ducats you should look into bundles that seem to meet your profile. There's tons of ways to lay out money trying to get a stick you like in this hobby, and tons of ways to fail to make a stick you like while you're laying out the money. Look at me: 2-$3000 and several hours a day for a year to get where I wanted. Woulda bought a lot of sweet bundles. But I wouldn't have acheived the depth of knowledge and understanding of cigars I have, and I would have played even more Battlefield.
I wouldn't say this statement is controversial, I would say it is very accurate. Yeah, if I'm only counting the cost of leaf my sticks are cheaper than most premiums and taste as good or better(to me). Once I calculate the cost of my time as well as the tools involved the cost increases exponentially. I will say that not all of my blends have wowed me either but they have at least been decent.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New rolling table? Did you build it and do you have some dimensions or plans you can share?
Yes. I had 7 pieces of 33 by 14 by 5/8 inch wood. it's 33" wide, 33 & 5/8" deep and, 15 & 1/4" tall. The front box drops down 2 1/2" and, has a 31 1/2 by 5 by 2 1/2" cavity. there are 11 #6 power interior wood screws in it. I think I'll mount these computer stand legs to it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So my good friend @Daven asked me yesterday if I have heard of Willy's Cigars here locally. I had not and he sent me a website to view: http://www.willycigars.com

I sent him an email to ask if he ever helps amateur rollers improve and if he would review some of my sticks to help me improve. He invited me to come to his home Tuesday evening and I'm more excited than a kid on Christmas. I know my bunching is unorthodox and he will probably have me switch to entubado but I will feel more confident with some direct instruction. I am also excited to have some extra guidance on my capping. So stoked!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yes. I had 7 pieces of 33 by 14 by 5/8 inch wood. it's 33" wide, 33 & 5/8" deep and, 15 & 1/4" tall. The front box drops down 2 1/2" and, has a 31 1/2 by 5 by 2 1/2" cavity. there are 11 #6 power interior wood screws in it. I think I'll mount these computer stand legs to it.

Thank you so much!! I will be building something like this as soon as I can!

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I think us on this thread are showing off the very slippery and somewhat expensive, time consuming slope of rolling your own

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So my good friend @Daven asked me yesterday if I have heard of Willy's Cigars here locally. I had not and he sent me a website to view: http://www.willycigars.com

I sent him an email to ask if he ever helps amateur rollers improve and if he would review some of my sticks to help me improve. He invited me to come to his home Tuesday evening and I'm more excited than a kid on Christmas. I know my bunching is unorthodox and he will probably have me switch to entubado but I will feel more confident with some direct instruction. I am also excited to have some extra guidance on my capping. So stoked!
I wonder if you could casually enquire where he gets his leaf....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I find nothing wrong with the statement at all. I rather be spoken to honestly than have it white washed. I heard the same thing from the guy that runs Bull City Cigars. He spent thousands upon thousands coming up with a hand full of blends he felt comfortable selling. Even then he didn't get it perfected until he had the help of a former Fuente and Davidoff roller.

The truth is you're probably right. I would probably be better served spending the money on the Famous sales or looking for bundles. There is a part of me that dreams of going that extra step. When I vaped, I took up makin my own even when I was getting the stuff shipped to me for free from a great vendor. The cost difference between that hobby and this is a matter of magnitude.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I wonder if you could casually enquire where he gets his leaf....
His website says he gets leaf from his families farm in the Domincan Republic. I have already casually inquired and haven't received a direct response on that other than he doesn't have corojo wrapper. I will be sure to ask him again when I am there if he will be willing to sell me some leaf. I'm not the hugest fan of Domincan leaf on its own, but in certain blends it really is nice. I will have pics and videos to share afterwards I am sure.

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is small and takes more effort to roll a decent stick with than with larger leafs. If you want to roll a lot of sticks it will be a bit frustrating in that regard. I've used it on and off for a year for my light creamy chocolatey-type blends. But in general I prefer more "wrapper-sized" leaves, because I roll a lot. It's a bit like the LO Cameroon wrapper in that regard, if you've used that.
It's also pretty rustic and sometimes fights against lying smooth and flat on your board, similar in that respect to the LO Brazilian wrapper, but more so.
So no suited for my 6'' 52 gauge-style cigars ?
I'll wait till WLT gets his San Anders, hopefully bigger leaves.
I agree it is fustating to roll with small leaves.
Thanks

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So no suited for my 6'' 52 gauge-style cigars ?
I'll wait till WLT gets his San Anders, hopefully bigger leaves.
I agree it is fustating to roll with small leaves.
Thanks
Well I have managed to wrap 44rg sticks up to 8.5" with the leaf that I have but I guess like all leaf there are some discrepancies between batches.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't wait to see how your sticks improve after this.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
His website says he gets leaf from his families farm in the Domincan Republic. I have already casually inquired and haven't received a direct response on that other than he doesn't have corojo wrapper. I will be sure to ask him again when I am there if he will be willing to sell me some leaf. I'm not the hugest fan of Domincan leaf on its own, but in certain blends it really is nice. I will have pics and videos to share afterwards I am sure.
Willie is pretty legit. Saw him at a rolling demo at a corporate Christmas party. Made it look easy. His cigars are pretty good too. There use to be a local shop that carried his CT shade and barber poles.