What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So he liked all of it?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
He said it all looked good, he really liked the San Andres wrapper. His filler all looks to be of higher quality though and I'm looking forward to trying his sticks and will post some reviews here and in the smoke of the day thread. I find it amusing that my homework for the week is to smoke his cigars and wrap some of his bunches. I will have my wife take a short video of how to remove the midrib by hand the way he showed me. Will probably be my first YouTube video as I'm not sure I can upload a video directly unless photobucket supports that.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just watched this video and have a couple questions maybe you rollers can answer.
1. He said that the traditional Cuban method was according, but I always thought it was entubado. Am I wrong or is he just talking out of his ass?
2. He said they use a double binder. Didn't he only use one?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Just watched this video and have a couple questions maybe you rollers can answer.
1. He said that the traditional Cuban method was according, but I always thought it was entubado. Am I wrong or is he just talking out of his ass?
Willy bunches using the accordion method. He was born and trained in Cuba and has been rolling over 50 years. I have seen other Cuban rollers using the accordion bunch method as well. Can't say for sure whether accordion or entubado is more traditional though.
That definitely looks like a single binder to me as well unless you can't see the second binder leaf.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Now you have more ties for your culebras.
I tossed all these ones, I probably should yank a few out. I showed him my newest culebra and he told me those are too hard and not to roll them. Lol. I still enjoy though and will continue to roll them here and there for kicks. After seeing his though, I am a little ashamed of mine. I shouldn't be considering our very different levels of experience but his were absolute perfection using sticks with different wrappers: one candela, one maduro, and one CT shade. Should have snapped a picture because it was the most amazing culebra I have seen in either pictures or real life.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
@BrewinHooligan Dude, you (and Willy) are an awesome teacher. I happened to be bunching when I saw this on IG and had to give it a try with a binder. Learning how to do this was one of my big cigar-rolling goals for Year Two. Thanks a ton. Here's my first try:
It's a revelation innit?? The more you do it the easier it gets. I think that proper casing is vital and discovered that my binder and wrapper have both been at a higher case than they probably should have been and at too high of a case I imagine the leaf would tear in the process more than if cased properly.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The naked bunches Willy sent me home with are now dressed in his H2K wrapper. Man is this stuff silky and damn pretty stuff. Smells great too. Not soaking my wrapper like I had been I imagine these will be ready for smoking way sooner than what I've been doing at least on a humidity standpoint. I could light one of these right off the table and it would burn. Also kicking myself for not getting some pro glue sooner. All y'all using the Xanthan gum go ahead and order some gum Tragancanth or bermocol(sp?) and ditch the Xanthan when you can.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
In that video he said the typically use a double binder, but you're right - in that video it looked like just a single binder leaf was used.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The naked bunches Willy sent me home with are now dressed in his H2K wrapper. Man is this stuff silky and damn pretty stuff. Smells great too. Not soaking my wrapper like I had been I imagine these will be ready for smoking way sooner than what I've been doing at least on a humidity standpoint. I could light one of these right off the table and it would burn. Also kicking myself for not getting some pro glue sooner. All y'all using the Xanthan gum go ahead and order some gum Tragancanth or bermocol(sp?) and ditch the Xanthan when you can.
I've smoked one of his right off the rolling table before. Delish. For rolling demos, he must be using bunches that have rested for a while I guess.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
So, what's the new technique for casing, more of a @blisscigarco method?
Also, no xanthum gum? You're killin me! Gah!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So, what's the new technique for casing, more of a @blisscigarco method?
Also, no xanthum gum? You're killin me! Gah!

Very gentle mist just enough to make pliable the day before. Then remove the midrib and get to rolling without adding any extra moisture. The hand holding the bunch must never let go of it, very important according to Willy. Use your other hand to hold and flatten the wrapper as you use the pressure from rolling the bunch in the wrapper to stretch it tight. There seems to be enough interest that in the near future I will have my wife pull out the good camera to take some high def video of the bunching and wrapping he is teaching me after I get more proficient.