What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hey BrewinHooligan, your cigars and your teaching are inspirational. I grew tobbacco and rolled cigars a few years ago. It was great fun but I never got anywhere near your level of proficiency.
My question to you is, how many cigars do you have now? You must have a few tupperdors full.
Oh man, i cannot wait to see how the stash has grown since about 300 posts ago!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey BrewinHooligan, your cigars and your teaching are inspirational. I grew tobbacco and rolled cigars a few years ago. It was great fun but I never got anywhere near your level of proficiency.
My question to you is, how many cigars do you have now? You must have a few tupperdors full.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I dream of having enough space to have a tobacco garden down the road. As far as how many cigars I have... I have two humidors, a 300ct and 150ct, that are stuffed to the gills with commercial sticks and then I have a coolerdor stuffed full of home rolls. I haven't counted the homerolls lately but I'm sure it's well over 100 as the coolerdor is stuffed full despite me sharing quite a bit of what I roll. I will be buying a second coolerdor very soon as I am starting to roll more and become faster thanks to the excellent instruction I'm getting.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you so much for the kind words! I dream of having enough space to have a tobacco garden down the road. As far as how many cigars I have... I have two humidors, a 300ct and 150ct, that are stuffed to the gills with commercial sticks and then I have a coolerdor stuffed full of home rolls. I haven't counted the homerolls lately but I'm sure it's well over 100 as the coolerdor is stuffed full despite me sharing quite a bit of what I roll. I will be buying a second coolerdor very soon as I am starting to roll more and become faster thanks to the excellent instruction I'm getting.

Let's see that coolerdor mayhem!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
It's hard to get a good pic of everything but I just snapped this:

Due to a recent bombing spree it's a little more empty than it was a few weeks ago. The cardboard box is anywhere between 4-6 sticks deep depending on stick size, the large ziploc on the side has 10 Cuban custom rolls that I re-wrapped due to wrapper damage. There are a some commercial sticks I don't have room for in my other humis, there is a box with about 30 sticks I intend on donating to Cigars for Warriors as I have no intention of smoking them.

Sticks I have rolled this week in the drybox waiting to go into the coolerdor, not including the 10 bunches I have in the mold that will be wrapped by the end of the day.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I dunno. I'm pretty certain there's a seam in there somewhere. I can't find it. Maybe I need a better camera. Or an electron microscope or sumpin.

So guess who rolled that stick? I ride home this afternoon. As always, Bearswatter's lapdog comes out to greet me, cause she likes me to walk her to the mailbox every afternoon. Where I find this complete and total surprise sixer in there from Roger, the First Warrior. His fave three blends.

Something screwy with my camera's colors; but you get the idea. Pair on the left, you got a mata fina, a san vincente ligero, a criollo viso, and one and a half piloto seco, all shoehorned into a mata fina wrapper. The internet will not be complete until smellavision so we can post the aroma of a baggie like this. The two in the center, we got a piloto seco, and half each of piloto viso, flojo, and aleman ligero, double bound in sumatra and wrapped in CT shade. The last pair, we got half each mata, nick hab, and criollo, one and a half flojo, double bound in Dominican and wrapped in habano. Salivating yet? I am.

Bearswatter is calling me to dinner. But I know where I'll be after. I'll be in the garage, figuring out why Biffy Bullfrog's speedo is going funky while smoking one of these habano wrapped jewels.

Thanks Roger.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

I dunno. I'm pretty certain there's a seam in there somewhere. I can't find it. Maybe I need a better camera. Or an electron microscope or sumpin.

So guess who rolled that stick? I ride home this afternoon. As always, Bearswatter's lapdog comes out to greet me, cause she likes me to walk her to the mailbox every afternoon. Where I find this complete and total surprise sixer in there from Roger, the First Warrior. His fave three blends.

Something screwy with my camera's colors; but you get the idea. Pair on the left, you got a mata fina, a san vincente ligero, a criollo viso, and one and a half piloto seco, all shoehorned into a mata fina wrapper. The internet will not be complete until smellavision so we can post the aroma of a baggie like this. The two in the center, we got a piloto seco, and half each of piloto viso, flojo, and aleman ligero, double bound in sumatra and wrapped in CT shade. The last pair, we got half each mata, nick hab, and criollo, one and a half flojo, double bound in Dominican and wrapped in habano. Salivating yet? I am.

Bearswatter is calling me to dinner. But I know where I'll be after. I'll be in the garage, figuring out why Biffy Bullfrog's speedo is going funky while smoking one of these habano wrapped jewels.

Thanks Roger.
Those look and sound fantastic!!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A propos of nothing, I'm moving along in my latest blend development. A few weeks ago (during that live youtube rolling sesh) I rolled 32 sticks, 2 coronas each of 16 basic blends using the same wrapper/binder/volado/seco/ligero. One week of dry time and then I started smoking. I've now smoked my way through the 16 blends and narrowed them down to my ten favorite. Basically the six that didn't make top-10 had too much ligero for my tolerance. Now I'm rolling three each of the top-10. I'll smoke those and try to whittle it down to best 4. Then I'll start tweaking those across vitolas and wrappers. I've already rolled a few of the best into different vitolas and got totally different flavor profiles. Meanwhile today I smoked one of the blends in a Mex SA that I wrapped a week ago instead of the CT Shade I used on all of them. TOTALLY different flavor/aroma. You'd have no idea it was the same filler. Like I'm always saying: blending's some tricky shit. OTOH I've learned that 1) if your leaf is killer it's hard to go wrong; 2) you can make a nearly endless variety of profiles from just one set of leaves. Anyway here's a quick snap of the Mex SA corona. What you get with that stuff is rustic charm that tastes like Cocoa Puffs milk.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A propos of nothing, I'm moving along in my latest blend development. A few weeks ago (during that live youtube rolling sesh) I rolled 32 sticks, 2 coronas each of 16 basic blends using the same wrapper/binder/volado/seco/ligero. One week of dry time and then I started smoking. I've now smoked my way through the 16 blends and narrowed them down to my ten favorite. Basically the six that didn't make top-10 had too much ligero for my tolerance. Now I'm rolling three each of the top-10. I'll smoke those and try to whittle it down to best 4. Then I'll start tweaking those across vitolas and wrappers. I've already rolled a few of the best into different vitolas and got totally different flavor profiles. Meanwhile today I smoked one of the blends in a Mex SA that I wrapped a week ago instead of the CT Shade I used on all of them. TOTALLY different flavor/aroma. You'd have no idea it was the same filler. Like I'm always saying: blending's some tricky shit. OTOH I've learned that 1) if your leaf is killer it's hard to go wrong; 2) you can make a nearly endless variety of profiles from just one set of leaves. Anyway here's a quick snap of the Mex SA corona.
Truer words were never spoken. Looking good!!

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
A propos of nothing, I'm moving along in my latest blend development. A few weeks ago (during that live youtube rolling sesh) I rolled 32 sticks, 2 coronas each of 16 basic blends using the same wrapper/binder/volado/seco/ligero. One week of dry time and then I started smoking. I've now smoked my way through the 16 blends and narrowed them down to my ten favorite. Basically the six that didn't make top-10 had too much ligero for my tolerance. Now I'm rolling three each of the top-10. I'll smoke those and try to whittle it down to best 4. Then I'll start tweaking those across vitolas and wrappers. I've already rolled a few of the best into different vitolas and got totally different flavor profiles. Meanwhile today I smoked one of the blends in a Mex SA that I wrapped a week ago instead of the CT Shade I used on all of them. TOTALLY different flavor/aroma. You'd have no idea it was the same filler. Like I'm always saying: blending's some tricky shit. OTOH I've learned that 1) if your leaf is killer it's hard to go wrong; 2) you can make a nearly endless variety of profiles from just one set of leaves. Anyway here's a quick snap of the Mex SA corona. What you get with that stuff is rustic charm that tastes like Cocoa Puffs milk.
Dat ash!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Your rolling is exquisite, but looking at the bunching I'm thinking that it may be a bit too loose. You know much more than I do about rolling so please don't take offense to my question but, do you think the draw on these will be too airy ?
They are actually bunched pretty tight, there is one there that looks kinda empty in the center, but that is only because I didn't cut more off the foot. I do a "test draw" on the sticks before wrapping and if anything some of them are a bit snug. The accordion bunching allows for a tighter pack but allowing a nice draw, this is only my second time bunching with this method so I'm far from a pro at it. Last night my fills were horribly uneven and loose, it's much more even and firm today which makes me happy.