What's new

Adventures in home rolling

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We had three straight days without rain. That's unusual. I took an extra tasty Indian Motorcycles cigar out to the cedar lined smoking porch last night and burnt it to a nub. No plugs, no re-lights. That's all it takes, is three dry days, for things to straighten up and smoke right. Last night, the neighbors were all out mowing while they had a chance, while the mower wheels wouldn't sink in muck. This morning, the dew is heavy enough to float a canoe.

Not sure if you've stumbled across this yet but if you haven't....

"Blend Profile

The Indian Motorcycle Habano utilizes a Habano wrapper from Ecuador. This differs from the Debonaire Habano line which uses a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper.

Wrapper: Habano Ecuador
Binder: Dominican San Vincente
Filler: HVA Ligero, Nicaraguan Seco, Piloto Cubano
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic (De Los Reyes)"

http://cigar-coop.com/2015/11/cigar-review-indian-motorcycle-habano-robusto.html

As the Big Tymers once said "get yo mothafckn roll on" :D

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mata and Piloto is da bom. My fave perfectos so far are one leaf Mata Fina and one leaf Piloto Cubano, with both binder and wrapper cut from the same half leaf of Habano 2000. Filled a small humidor with these things six months ago; still half of them left. I regret each time I burn one cause it means one fewer in the box. Dynamite.

Uppowoc Matalotos.

If you like that blend, in a another week or so i will have all of those leafs fermented.I can send it to you if you like. I didnt use any of the HH wrapper you sent so I can send it back with some filler.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not sure if you've stumbled across this yet but if you haven't....

"Blend Profile

The Indian Motorcycle Habano utilizes a Habano wrapper from Ecuador. This differs from the Debonaire Habano line which uses a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper.

Wrapper: Habano Ecuador
Binder: Dominican San Vincente
Filler: HVA Ligero, Nicaraguan Seco, Piloto Cubano
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic (De Los Reyes)"

http://cigar-coop.com/2015/11/cigar-review-indian-motorcycle-habano-robusto.html

As the Big Tymers once said "get yo mothafckn roll on" :D

Good info to have. I love those Indian Motorcycle habano robustos. I got a box because I ride an Indian Scout (among others). But they turn out to be great stix. Rolled by the same people as those Debonaires. The Debs cost twice as much, but I don't like them nearly as much. The Debs especially have a rich meaty flavor, like you would imagine smoked boucan. Not a barbecue sauce thing; but a smoked jerky thing. It's real damn good. Just not worth what they ask. The Indians, OTOH, are right up my alley. Spice without bite. Loads of flavor. I sparked one just last night.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you like that blend, in a another week or so i will have all of those leafs fermented.I can send it to you if you like. I didnt use any of the HH wrapper you sent so I can send it back with some filler.
SPO, that right there is the best dang offer I have heard in ages! Specially considering what you will have to put out for postage. I'd be eager to roll and smoke your ferments.

The Honduran Habano went two ways on me:

1) The wretched stuff I bought makes super filler, all by itself. A real rich habano experience. I rolled a pair of parejos last night with the stuff -- bound in PA broad and wrapped in FXSS CT shade. That shade is some amazing delicate stuff. Thin, flexible, marvellous texture, and a handy flavor transparency.

2) Don at WLT picked thru his bale to find enough wrapper grade leaves to replace all the stuff he sold me. Only thing, the veins are large. So I use that for binder, from time to time.

You still know my addy, right?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Debs especially have a rich meaty flavor, like you would imagine smoked boucan. Not a barbecue sauce thing; but a smoked jerky thing. It's real damn good.
Do you have any clue where this note comes from because I think I know exactly what your talking about. Smoked peppered jerky really nails it. That was the core of the profile in the Tatuaje Jekyll and I absolutely loved it. I don't know if its a particular kind of leaf, a certain combination of tobaccos, sauce, or what but Ive been dying to know where that flavor comes from. Its very distinctive and doesn't seem very common.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do you have any clue where this note comes from because I think I know exactly what your talking about. Smoked peppered jerky really nails it. That was the core of the profile in the Tatuaje Jekyll and I absolutely loved it. I don't know if its a particular kind of leaf, a certain combination of tobaccos, sauce, or what but Ive been dying to know where that flavor comes from. Its very distinctive and doesn't seem very common.
No I do not. Sorry.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apparently I need to work on my accordion game. Rolled this during the half-wheel marathon last Sunday. Started going accordion to make up time, including with this stick. My entubado ash is usually a tight firm cylinder. This was more like a sculpture in a modern art museum. Can't wait to see a vid from BH so I can try to improve my sklz.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPO, that right there is the best dang offer I have heard in ages! Specially considering what you will have to put out for postage. I'd be eager to roll and smoke your ferments.

The Honduran Habano went two ways on me:

1) The wretched stuff I bought makes super filler, all by itself. A real rich habano experience. I rolled a pair of parejos last night with the stuff -- bound in PA broad and wrapped in FXSS CT shade. That shade is some amazing delicate stuff. Thin, flexible, marvellous texture, and a handy flavor transparency.

2) Don at WLT picked thru his bale to find enough wrapper grade leaves to replace all the stuff he sold me. Only thing, the veins are large. So I use that for binder, from time to time.

You still know my addy, right?
No I dont have your address so pm me when you got a chance. All of the leaf is ready except for the wrapper. I believe what you sent me was about 90% good wrapper. I will double check next time I have my nose buried in it. Each type of leaf requires a different amount of time so I just check it every few days until its done. I cant say how long but i,m guessing about a week to a week and a half.When the ammonia is down to trace levels I leave it out over night then put it back in the kiln. If after a day or two I dont detect any more I know its done. In the words of Rocky Patel. "I let the leaf tell me when its done" ...:happy:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Apparently I need to work on my accordion game. Rolled this during the half-wheel marathon last Sunday. Started going accordion to make up time, including with this stick. My entubado ash is usually a tight firm cylinder. This was more like a sculpture in a modern art museum. Can't wait to see a vid from BH so I can try to improve my sklz.
Mine look about the same and don't hold on as long as my previous bunching method sticks would, but I do have a better draw especially on a tighter packed bunch. I have found it is damn near impossible to plug a stick bunched with the accordion method.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ah, okay. I've actually never had my entubado rolls plug.
I am sure that works the same as accordion in that regard. Rolling with my "bastardized book method" if I bunched too tight it was a guarantee the stick would plug even though the ligero placed dead center was tubed. I will sacrifice long ashes for a good draw and burn. The time savings of accordion over entubado is worth it to me even though it's a great feeling to be able to roll a cigar that will hold an ash at least halfway before falling in one solid chunk.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine look about the same and don't hold on as long as my previous bunching method sticks would, but I do have a better draw especially on a tighter packed bunch. I have found it is damn near impossible to plug a stick bunched with the accordion method.
I've often thought about the tunnels created with entubado vs accordion. Once everything gets pressed in the mold the tubes get flattened like an accordion anyway. At least It appears so when looking at the foot. I've also dissected entubado cigars and they look the same as the accordion method once pressed. Is there really any difference? I think both can work equally well in the hands of a craftsman.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've often thought about the tunnels created with entubado vs accordion. Once everything gets pressed in the mold the tubes get flattened like an accordion anyway. At least It appears so when looking at the foot. I've also dissected entubado cigars and they look the same as the accordion method once pressed. Is there really any difference? I think both can work equally well in the hands of a craftsman.
At least with how I roll accordion, the accordion winds up being about 2" wide before being rolled into the bunch where the entubado tubes are usually a much smaller diameter. I think that small structural difference can cause the ash of the entubado bunch to be more structurally sound than the accordion bunch. I am far from an expert and will never claim to be one, that is just what makes sense to me in my head.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least with how I roll accordion, the accordion winds up being about 2" wide before being rolled into the bunch where the entubado tubes are usually a much smaller diameter. I think that small structural difference can cause the ash of the entubado bunch to be more structurally sound than the accordion bunch. I am far from an expert and will never claim to be one, that is just what makes sense to me in my head.
I'm on board with you. I believe the smaller tubes and more of them, have a better chance of leaving air ways especially when rolling a tighter bunch.

Tighter more dense packs seem to be standard fair when it comes to commercial cigars. I rolled too loose for a while and must admit I get a better burn and a stronger ash with a tighter roll. Overall a better cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont have your address so pm me when you got a chance. All of the leaf is ready except for the wrapper. I believe what you sent me was about 90% good wrapper. I will double check next time I have my nose buried in it. Each type of leaf requires a different amount of time so I just check it every few days until its done. I cant say how long but i,m guessing about a week to a week and a half.When the ammonia is down to trace levels I leave it out over night then put it back in the kiln. If after a day or two I dont detect any more I know its done. In the words of Rocky Patel. "I let the leaf tell me when its done" ...:happy:

Here is your wrapper here. Recognize it ? lol .Looks quite different already. Its still pumping out a lot of ammonia.It would take your breath away at this stage. I also Have a few leaves of the H2K wrapper that you like. Its not a lot but It should be done around the same time and I will throw that in as well. All said and done you should have enough for 1/2 doz sticks of the blend anyway.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@smokepoleobsession
Here're four more smokepolefermentedwrapper sticks. This is two "Broadleaf," one "PA," and one LO Nica wrapper, in some order. This is some rustic wrapper. Coming from a CT Shade thing I don't see veins like this. But I just chalk it up as a character-giving positive. You don't even have to lube this leaf, it's so supple and leathery. It feels moist even when it isn't. Nonetheless I did lube it because I wanted to try spraying some of Willy's Secret Mojo Sauce on'em.

Last edited: