What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
It makes me wonder if there is a misinterpretation between Willy and my brain. You say He said "the binder leaf should always be facing the same direction, tip of the leaf pointed to the right." I get "the same direction" part but, the same two half leaves can be used left or right to bind with by flipping them. I mean if we use 2 half leaves taken from the same midrib, they'll have opposite vein exposure. But, if one would like to only bind from the right, then one could certainly do so. yes?

Using your binder placement in your video Brew as a example, .. first, you all will notice, the outer edges of a leaf has very little veins visible inside or out. Giving reason to have that edge on the outer finished seam. .. In that video, by having that outer edge of the leaf placed at the bottom, it will be tucked under, leaving the thickest parts of the veins to be exposed to that outer seam. Also, by starting with the foot of the bunch and matching it with the base of the leaf (opposite the tip) we'll find the binder wanting to turn up and go back towards the foot and around the bunch instead of forward and down the bunch towards the head.
Brew, you did say it was streaming nerves and, for that, you get a pass. so, I'm not going to ask why you do that. Besides, those sticks will, very much most of likely be awesome smokes.

Rickey Taylor will do it his own way for sure and, Bob will say low, medium and high case is all you need besides a finger nail, a match and a little spit.

I seem to be going for most typical or, traditional techniques. .. but, all techniques are of interest to me.

I am curious about binder direction placement in relation to wrapper direction placement on a given stick though. What say all of you?
I used to think if they were going in the opposite directions they would act to stabilize each other. I'm not sure about that. But, if you do it without gluing the binder, the wrapper tends to want to unravel the binder.
That was @nic who shot that video. I'm still working on getting equipment to show what Willy has been teaching me.

As far as binder placement, the tip is always to the right, the outside edge always points up so half of my binders have the veins inside, half have the veins outside.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Must just be a matter of consistency born of repetition and minimizing variation. And figuring the fact that 50% of the wrappers are going one way and 50% the other way being irrelevant, since the mold basically makes a smooth cylinder anyway.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was @nic who shot that video. I'm still working on getting equipment to show what Willy has been teaching me.
I may have got twisted. .. so, @nic shot that video of himself. okay.

As far as binder placement, the tip is always to the right, ..
so , you always bind from right to left?

.. the outside edge always points up so half of my binders have the veins inside, half have the veins outside.
It sounds like you de stem all your binders, book them in left and right piles and use each pile at a time.

I'll try to use a left and right side of a leaf at a time to bind a cigar so, I could bind left or right with the veining in or out side anytime.
I'll take 13 leaves, de stem into one pile where tops and bottoms are facing each other. One pile of 26 leaves, left then right halves. one direction.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I may have got twisted. .. so, @nic shot that video of himself. okay.

so , you always bind from right to left?

It sounds like you de stem all your binders, book them in left and right piles and use each pile at a time.

I'll try to use a left and right side of a leaf at a time so, I could bind left or right with the veining in or out side anytime.
I'll take 13 leaves, de stem into piles where tops and bottoms are facing each other. One pile of 26 leaves, left and right halves.
Right to left. Foot of the bunch pointing up getting wrapped in the tip of the binder leaf. I hope that makes sense. I used to bind like you making sure the binder veins always went to the inside of the bunch. Now all the binder goes in one stack and they are all bunched the same for the sake of speed and repetition I suppose.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, which way is that exactly Don?
The tip of the leaf is pointing to your right elbow with the veins at the proper angle to run horizontally(just like the wrapper would). You roll up moving from right to left. It doesn't matter if the leaf is facing good side up or good side down but the tip always starts at the same place at the right elbow.

Since the wrapper always needs to have the good side showing half the leaves will need to be rolled from the right elbow and the other half from the left elbow. However, the binder doesn't show, it doesn't matter if the face is up or down.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A friend named Tom and I set off down the Blue Ridge Parkway years ago, intending to camp at the Blue Ridge Parkway Motorcycle Campground in Cruso NC. I led all the way down from Dull-Aware to past Ashland. About Mount Pisgah, Tom took over for the last leg, cause he had this TomTom GPS mounted on his bike (I know, right? He obviously bought a TomTom cause the device was calling his name). Turned left on what Tom's TomTom thought was 276, wound merrily down hill, turned right on some road I forget the name of, wigglier than a pubic hair, fifteen miles of hairpins, too narrow to even turn around. Finally, he found a gravel patch to pull over, and remarked to me: "It keeps telling me we're getting closer, and then it tells me we're farther." I replied "Cause we're on the wrong side of the ridge, dumb schidt! But I don't care, cause it's a great motorcycle road." We managed to get turned around, carved the twisties fifteen miles back the way we came, up over the ridge, and promptly plunged down the next set of twisties. Back and forth thru the woods we merrily rode. I counted three times that we crossed the road we were looking for, until TomTom finally set us back on 276, and back up the ridge we went. Turned abruptly left onto a decrepit six foot wide patch of potholed asphalt some cockeyed optimist had glued to the side of a mountain too long ago to mention, too steep to stop. Just when all that petered out into bushes and dirt, we found a dirt footpath, and pulled off. "I'm lost!" he declared. Just then, my clutch cable snapped. There we were, up the mountain side, disabled, and I had to crap real real bad. Long story short (too late now) when we finally made it to the camp, the owner remarked: "Yeah, don't pay attention to TomToms... they always get lost."

Ever since, I have always called the guy TomTom Tom.

This conversation about which way to bind reminds me of TomTom Tom. Wonder what happened to him?

Prolly got lost.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right to left. Foot of the bunch pointing up getting wrapped in the tip of the binder leaf. I hope that makes sense. I used to bind like you making sure the binder veins always went to the inside of the bunch. Now all the binder goes in one stack and they are all bunched the same for the sake of speed and repetition I suppose.
Sounds good. Do you feel that binding from the right only will effect your skills in wrapping from left to right? if you do it.

The tip of the leaf is pointing to your right elbow with the veins at the proper angle to run horizontally(just like the wrapper would). You roll up moving from right to left. It doesn't matter if the leaf is facing good side up or good side down but the tip always starts at the same place at the right elbow.

Since the wrapper always needs to have the good side showing half the leaves will need to be rolled from the right elbow and the other half from the left elbow. However, the binder doesn't show, it doesn't matter if the face is up or down.
Sounds good. Though, with a thinner wrapper, that binder vein will really pop out some. ..
I've always liked the added textural benefit that a vein exposed wrapper brings. Why do we hide them anyways?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just accidentally blew my own mind. Grabbed this puppy out of the dry box after one week, needed something to smoke while I was reading out on the lawn. As soon as I lit this thing over the stove, I was like "WTF am I smelling? Where is that aroma coming from!" Tried to read while I smoked it but I was kinda freaking out over the oldschool (stronger than the current Cuban style) Cuban thing going on. Put down my book and started jotting down flavor notes, without knowing what was in there: "Pepper, nutmeg, sweet baking spice, rich earth, shit, rich dark honey." Turns out "Sartre" is 1551. One-and-a-half seco, .5 viso, 1 ligero. Holy hell. That is not like the mild-medium blends I have been honing in on. This is the best medium-strong stick I have ever rolled. Can't even imagine what it'll be like after some humi time. I'm gonna go crazy with this blend.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Just accidentally blew my own mind. Grabbed this puppy out of the dry box after one week, needed something to smoke while I was reading out on the lawn. As soon as I lit this thing over the stove, I was like "WTF am I smelling? Where is that aroma coming from!" Tried to read while I smoked it but I was kinda freaking out over the oldschool (stronger than the current Cuban style) Cuban thing going on. Put down my book and started jotting down flavor notes, without knowing what was in there: "Pepper, nutmeg, sweet baking spice, rich earth, shit, rich dark honey." Turns out "Sartre" is 1551. One-and-a-half seco, .5 viso, 1 ligero. Holy hell. That is not like the mild-medium blends I have been honing in on. This is the best medium-strong stick I have ever rolled. Can't even imagine what it'll be like after some humi time. I'm gonna go crazy with this blend.
Sounds amazing, bro! Good job and enjoy!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Jorge's ligero?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sounds good. Do you feel that binding from the right only will effect your skills in wrapping from left to right? if you do it.

Sounds good. Though, with a thinner wrapper, that binder vein will really pop out some. ..
I've always liked the added textural benefit that a vein exposed wrapper brings. Why do we hide them anyways?
Binding only one direction I don't think has impacted my wrapping from the left at all. My wrapping and binding are distinctly different even though they are similar if that makes any sense. I really need to make some videos to share.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm so stoked to have a strong blend I can add to my lineup. This leaf doesn't give any of the nausea, sick-feeling, or harshness of certain other strongish leaf.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

I don't know why we even bother wrapping cigars marc... bind with the wrapper and smoke it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk