What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So I smoked one of the new blend Sunday night at a herf with some good people. It was rolled 8 days before I smoked it so I knew it was young and not to its full potential but you don't know how it ages if you don't do a little quality control. The first half was really damn good. The spiciness I crave was there but could have been a bit more prominent. There was a smooth creaminess that really helped balance the full flavors. Past the halfway mark the flavors and strength really ramped up to a point past my preferences. I dig the blend, but I need to hide these for a while so they can come into their own and have the rough edges smoothed out some.

2020pdx

Dan
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Roll session number 3. Cigars 7 throug 13. I got these much tighter than any of the previous cigars. I'll give them a couple days and smoke a test cigar to see if they really are any better.

Fun to see the craftwork. Look forward to hearing about how they smoke.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So right now I'm smoking my final rolling session number 1 cigar. Not bad, time to try so e other blends now.
What I notice though is with a week of dry time, the cigar is much firmer than it was initially so maybe they weren't overly soft after all. But, this gives me major concerns about last night's rolling session - I think they may turn out to be way too tight. I clipped then end of one of them, and although it was obviously still wet, the dry draw was way too tight. I will more than likely have to re wrap or just trash them. But I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Anyway, here's the very first one I rolled, burning pretty nicely.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So right now I'm smoking my final rolling session number 1 cigar. Not bad, time to try so e other blends now.
What I notice though is with a week of dry time, the cigar is much firmer than it was initially so maybe they weren't overly soft after all. But, this gives me major concerns about last night's rolling session - I think they may turn out to be way too tight. I clipped then end of one of them, and although it was obviously still wet, the dry draw was way too tight. I will more than likely have to re wrap or just trash them. But I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Anyway, here's the very first one I rolled, burning pretty nicely.
They will be soft and flexible when wet still, especially if the filler got a little too wet. They still may smoke fine after fully drying. Take Arturo Fuente. Those cigars are rolled tighter than a nun but still manage to smoke well. If they don't have a good draw, try to make sure that your filler is just barely wet enough to not crumble when you handle it. Also, leave the stems in on some of your seco, it helps the draw and burn.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As soon as your done rolling the cigar test the draw. If it's too tight undo it and roll it looser before the glue dries. If the draw is good when your done it won't be too tight once the cigar dries.
And hell I leave the midrib in all my filler leaf. It's frog legged of course so it's not the thickest part of the midrib. Lots of flavor there, helps with combustion, and gives the cigar structure.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Rolled these last night.
1/2 leaf Nica Habano seco, 1 1/2 leaves corojo viso, 1 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. Not sure what to expect other than a pretty full strength smoke. Gonna try and let them rest a while but patience is hard.
These are some fine looking smokes. You're home-rolled will be in big demand soon if they are not already.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
These are some fine looking smokes. You're home-rolled will be in big demand soon if they are not already.
Thank you brother! I am surprised at how many people have expressed an interest actually but I really shouldn't be knowing the group we have here. I really need to figure out how to roll faster to try and catch up with demand and have some for me to smoke too.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My last blend was a little too strong. Tweaked it a bit and rolled a few to see if I like this one better before rolling a bunch. Wasn't really feeling it today so they turned out kinda rough.
1 leaf Nica Habano seco, 1 1/2 leaves corojo viso, 1/2 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. Now to wait and see how they turned out. Will probably give one a shot next weekend.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My last blend was a little too strong. Tweaked it a bit and rolled a few to see if I like this one better before rolling a bunch. Wasn't really feeling it today so they turned out kinda rough.
1 leaf Nica Habano seco, 1 1/2 leaves corojo viso, 1/2 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. Now to wait and see how they turned out. Will probably give one a shot next weekend.
Looking pretty good for being rough!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Looking pretty good for being rough!
Thank you! I'm super critical of myself. I know I can do better but I think my wrapper leaf got a little too moist so I had some issues with tearing. Next time I will use the broadleaf as a binder and use up some of my corojo maduro wrapper.

I'm also anxious to use the leaf that was gifted to me by @USHOG so will be working on a blend soon to use mostly his leaf as filler and binder. I need to place an order soon too. I want to grab a few different wrappers and some criollo viso and ligero. Even having a cooler full of cigar leaf just doesn't seem like enough. Lol