What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it drying up yet? It does look amazing. Can't wait for taste tests. I think you have gone past the point of no return.
The leaf sitis out for a day or so to air out any remaining ammonia etc.It wont dry out much during that time.The filler then goes back into the kil where it dries out quite quickly.The wrapper is left to air dry slowly. It takes way longer to dry out after the kiln than it normally would.I think it has something to do with the oil content.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is your average cost of a home rolled cigar? And how does that compare to a cigar bought in a brick and mortar? Being relatively new to the world of cigars, I hear a lot of people complain about the prices. I usually smoke $5-6 dollar cigars and I'm comfortable with that, but I think the quality of a hand rolled cigar, once the skill is acquired, would be much higher than those sticks. Thanks guys, for this incredible thread. I can't wait to get started in this hobby.
I calculate 75 cents apiece for my standard perfectos. That's not a guess; that's calculated.

Here's how it comes out so thrifty: I roll 5 1/4" 50rg perfectos. That's the main thing. I use a mold, and I make a bunch which will just fit that mold. So there's no loose ends to chop with a tuck cutter. It's all in the feel of the bunch in your fist. A perfecto matches the natural shape of the leaf. This means there is virtually no wasted leaf at all. When you roll a parejo, you chop a bunch off each end to get your consistent length. Not with a perfecto. Also, I take the inner part of the leaf, the part which I cut out when I cut the outer crescent for a wrapper, and I use that as the binder on the next cigar. One half leaf of Habano 2000 provides both binder and wrapper.

That said, you do go thru a certain amount of wastage until you find the blend you like. But, what the hell, I go thru the same rate of wastage rolling the dice on premiums I don't like. Once you have settled on a couple blends you dig, roll up a couple score, you are golden.

Here's one of my current faves. I call it the Mataloto Uppowoc Perfecto, Consists of Piloto Cubano and Mata Fina fillers, bound and wrapped in Habano 2000:

This perfecto will smoke for an hour and a half to two hours (I smoke slow). I'll take one of these over store bought any day. I rolled my current batch of 50 last November; so they are in their prime condition now.

One last word: Here in Dull-Aware, we have a lot of damp days. It can be damn hard to get a premium to burn well. They roll them too tight. I hate re-lighting a stick. Always tastes stanky after a re-light. These Uppowoc Perfectos, OTOH, I roll a tad looser, then I let them set for months. And I make surfe to select blends from leaves that will burn a la vela. I can nub one of these bad boys every time. My good friend FirstWarrior gave me a primo nub fork which sees good use.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Check out this old gem i scored off eBay. Antique cast iron cigar cutter. I plan to use it for tuck cuts. Thing is actually pretty large! It measures about 12" high, 14 1/4" wide and 15" long. He took my obo of $65

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

I think I would find a way to cut at least some portion of my finger off with that thing. Looks cool thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Check out this old gem i scored off eBay. Antique cast iron cigar cutter. I plan to use it for tuck cuts. Thing is actually pretty large! It measures about 12" high, 14 1/4" wide and 15" long. He took my obo of $65

It looks like you could trim up a whole bundle at once!

Side question for the guys using or that have used the WLT kits. Is it me or is there not a lot of wrapper in these?

I understand that I rolled a smaller ring gauge last night, but even using 1/4 leaves to wrap, I am way short and have a large amount of leftover filler and binder. Guess I'll mosey on over and place another order... you know, just to make sure I come out even.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Spenny

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably use a tape measurer to mark some lengths on the board to aid in length consistency with my rolls. Got a couple molds and some blends coming in the mail. Can't wait to get started!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calculate 75 cents apiece for my standard perfectos. That's not a guess; that's calculated.

Here's how it comes out so thrifty: I roll 5 1/4" 50rg perfectos. That's the main thing. I use a mold, and I make a bunch which will just fit that mold. So there's no loose ends to chop with a tuck cutter. It's all in the feel of the bunch in your fist. A perfecto matches the natural shape of the leaf. This means there is virtually no wasted leaf at all. When you roll a parejo, you chop a bunch off each end to get your consistent length. Not with a perfecto. Also, I take the inner part of the leaf, the part which I cut out when I cut the outer crescent for a wrapper, and I use that as the binder on the next cigar. One half leaf of Habano 2000 provides both binder and wrapper.

That said, you do go thru a certain amount of wastage until you find the blend you like. But, what the hell, I go thru the same rate of wastage rolling the dice on premiums I don't like. Once you have settled on a couple blends you dig, roll up a couple score, you are golden.

Here's one of my current faves. I call it the Mataloto Uppowoc Perfecto, Consists of Piloto Cubano and Mata Fina fillers, bound and wrapped in Habano 2000:

This perfecto will smoke for an hour and a half to two hours (I smoke slow). I'll take one of these over store bought any day. I rolled my current batch of 50 last November; so they are in their prime condition now.

One last word: Here in Dull-Aware, we have a lot of damp days. It can be damn hard to get a premium to burn well. They roll them too tight. I hate re-lighting a stick. Always tastes stanky after a re-light. These Uppowoc Perfectos, OTOH, I roll a tad looser, then I let them set for months. And I make surfe to select blends from leaves that will burn a la vela. I can nub one of these bad boys every time. My good friend FirstWarrior gave me a primo nub fork which sees good use.

Thank you! I think this post alone is going to have more influence on my rolling than any thing. Your cigars looked great BTW, better than most in my local brick and mortar.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It looks like you could trim up a whole bundle at once!

Side question for the guys using or that have used the WLT kits. Is it me or is there not a lot of wrapper in these?

I understand that I rolled a smaller ring gauge last night, but even using 1/4 leaves to wrap, I am way short and have a large amount of leftover filler and binder. Guess I'll mosey on over and place another order... you know, just to make sure I come out even.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Spenny
Everything they do is by weight I'm guessing. I was "shorted" on some flojo viso in my kit, only enough to make 15 sticks. But then again that's only ~$2/stick, so i ordered more leaf and kept going!

Check out Leaf Only, they have 1/4 pound samples of leaf, including wrapper, just so you can try everything!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Everything they do is by weight I'm guessing. I was "shorted" on some flojo viso in my kit, only enough to make 15 sticks. But then again that's only ~$2/stick, so i ordered more leaf and kept going!

Check out Leaf Only, they have 1/4 pound samples of leaf, including wrapper, just so you can try everything!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
You, sir, are an enabler. Okay, so the lot of you are. I like that very much!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started reading this forum from page 1 last night and have nothing but !
I can't wait for my orders to come in to start rolling...
I can add this hobby onto my brewing obsession!
@BrewinHooligan: The marshmellow blend sounds fantastic. I feel a trade offer coming!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Got bored and decided to do something with the leftovers and oddballs. Even got a bit fancy and attempted a barber pole.

Have to say, my respect and admiration for all the factory rollers and you pros around here has skyrocketed exponentially.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Got bored and decided to do something with the leftovers and oddballs. Even got a bit fancy and attempted a barber pole.

Have to say, my respect and admiration for all the factory rollers and you pros around here has skyrocketed exponentially.

Looking real good brother! Keep it up!!