What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, citric acid at a mixture of 2% when added to tobacco makes the tobacco taste "smoother" and takes away some of the rough tasting edges.
Recipe: 2 grams citric acid to 100ml water.
Spray on tobacco and allow it to absorb

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've done the 2% citric thing. Worked fine. But I'd say it's probably not much needed on properly fermented and aged leaf. Unless, unbeknownst to me, all proper smooth leaf was actually petuned with citric.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I've done the 2% citric thing. Worked fine. But I'd say it's probably not much needed on properly fermented and aged leaf. Unless, unbeknownst to me, all proper smooth leaf was actually petuned with citric.
This is the chemist in me talking right now, the citric acid will neutralize any left over ammonia. Thus, smoother, no ammonia tobacco.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the chemist in me talking right now, the citric acid will neutralize any left over ammonia. Thus, smoother, no ammonia tobacco.

Of what I've read the ammonia is easily removed by heat. Once the ammonia is gone the remaining leaf has a PH that's alkaline. This makes the smoke harsh. The addition of citric acid lowers the PH making the smoke smoother. The best result is applying citric acid during the fermentation process. so it can sink deep into the leaf.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Damn, that's pretty slick!

This is what I did yesterday:
View attachment 79558
Well i like the professional look of yours better. Noticing that my bunches are slightly oval, so i grabbed a keg full of star San, probably about 35-45 pounds. That'll fix em

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Like your hydraulic press.

... but wouldn't a beer keg be better?

I have tried that big C clamp method on a mold; but I found it troublesome to do and awkward once done. Got me four draw latches from McMaster-Carr like so:

Which made it easy like so:

Recommended.

Sent from my qwerty using tapakeggabrew

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like your hydraulic press.

... but wouldn't a beer keg be better?

I have tried that big C clamp method on a mold; but I found it troublesome to do and awkward once done. Got me four draw latches from McMaster-Carr like so:

Which made it easy like so:

Recommended.

Sent from my qwerty using tapakeggabrew
Still my favorite concept!!! Can't wait to convert mine! ~xox

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Watch Timothy Torres on YouTube. He speaks briefly about this. Apparently it is quite common and may be responsible for some of the more interesting flavors we get in cigars.
I dont believe half the stuff that guy says. If he was all he makes himself out to be his name would be known beyond his few YouTube videos. Just my 2 cents though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pics of my WLT dominican seco wrapper after 2 weeks in the box.It was a light green color when it went in.It is now a beautiful oily maduro.It will be aired out then put back in the box under lower heat and moisture for about another week to finish. It is still pumping out a lot of ammonia.

Sorry for the double pics.No way to delete.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dont believe half the stuff that guy says. If he was all he makes himself out to be his name would be known beyond his few YouTube videos. Just my 2 cents though.
If you go digging through old books you will find that it wasn't uncommon to spray or coat leaves with a mixture of rum and citrus fruit. It also wasn't uncommon for a stew of boiled stems and leaves to be painted on leaves to bring out a stronger taste and color. Heck, even BH is telling you the Cuban guy he is working with is spraying some mojo sauce.

You're right though, Torres doesn't know everything he thinks he knows. Just listen to him talk about the wrapper. He says the wrapper is just a dress and doesn't really matter. I think 90% of the people on this board disagree.

The reason I pointed out Torres is because what he says backed up the information I gathered through reading. If you want to look through all of my posts in this thread, some of the links should be there still.

How it was historically done prior to curing or fermenting.
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc6321/m1/8/

I can't find my links for post curing and fermenting.

Last edited:

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know of the practice. I give Gdaddy a lot of credit for the research he's done in that area of things. Just saying Torres can obviously roll, but he comes off as a hustler lol.

Edit - I think we've all seen that infamous clip in that RP video where they definitely aren't putting water on the leaves

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go digging through old books you will find that it wasn't uncommon to spray or coat leaves with a mixture of rum and citrus fruit. It also wasn't uncommon for a stew of boiled stems and leaves to be painted on leaves to bring out a stronger taste and color. Heck, even BH is telling you the Cuban guy he is working with is spraying some mojo sauce.

You're right though, Torres doesn't know everything he thinks he knows. Just listen to him talk about the wrapper. He says the wrapper is just a dress and doesn't really matter. I think 90% of the people on this board disagree.

The reason I pointed out Torres is because what he says backed up the information I gathered through reading. If you want to look through all of my posts in this thread, some of the links should be there still.

How it was historically done prior to curing or fermenting.
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc6321/m1/8/

I can't find my links for post curing and fermenting.
This would be done for fermentation not at te rolling stage. It is what gdaddy and I are both doing.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This would be done for fermentation not at te rolling stage. It is what gdaddy and I are both doing.
I understand. Unfortunately my wife decided to "organize" the bookmarks on Chrome. I had a couple of interesting links that mentioned rollers using mixtures as a way to cover up improperly cured or fermented tobacco. It was also a way for some to get a signature taste. I wish I could find the links again.

On page 18 of this thread I have a link to a report from RJ Reynolds that lists different things used to flavor tobacco and the effect on taste. You have probably read it. I thought it might be interesting for those experimenting with fermenting.