What's new

Aged Cigars Thread. (expanded) Ver2.0

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
While driving and smoking a reborn favorite of mine today I was thinking about Craigs thread of aged Tats. Maybe a certain thread would be useful to the board for all. It's about aged cigars (Nc or CC). Just place in here IYO wether or not a certain brand and size gets better over a certain period or time or looses it profile in a shorter time.
The 1 cigar right now I know is smoking unbelievable IMO is the La Riqueza #3 from 7/08 (right around the OR). It lost its ninja kick to the throat and turned into cocoa goodness. (also the #5s as well)
T110s Or's are also great right now.
Oliva Cloth band maddies as well are unbelievable.
My smoke em if you got em right now would be the MB1s. Still a great cigar with great flavors but it's IMO losing speed.
Maybe some Padron guys as well as LFDs and some others could comment as well on other brands.
It is my hope that we can salvage some guys on here old and new from holding on to some smokes to long and maybe talking some others into holding onto certain vitolas a little longer. LMK what you guys think!:thumbsup:
Editors comment: I know there can be alot of debate on just how long the aging process should be or how to age a cigar in general. But if something like a thread in general were here for certain Marcas and Vitolas. I think this could go a long way when the botl here are "on the hunt".

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
James that is my hope with this thread as well. Many will say that older value based Padrons dont hold up over time. Maybe we can get a general cosensus from the board on many brands as sizes.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
CC-Most Bolivar
NC-Opus X
Years would be very appreciated as well due to the fact that many years in CCs are huge hit and miss. As well as Opus. (Most would argue that older Opus would be from a better grade leaf, I cant comment on this thou)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In my opinion lower end Padrons are some of the best values out there. I would gladly pay more for these sticks than they are offered for at my B&M (3-6/stick). I have never had a problem with a Padron, fresh or aged. I think this is a great idea for a thread! Thanks for establishing it

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Great thread Justin! To expound upon what Cle said all early 2000's opus from 00' - 05 are really fantastic. As far as Bolis go the 03's are simply fantastic... I've had both very dark almost maduro wrappers that had almost a dark berry flavor to them and the lighter shade wrappers have been very complex and balanced with the boli character that we all love.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
In my opinion lower end Padrons are some of the best values out there. I would gladly pay more for these sticks than they are offered for at my B&M (3-6/stick). I have never had a problem with a Padron, fresh or aged. I think this is a great idea for a thread! Thanks for establishing it
I can't say I would disagree w/ this statement. Padron sets the bar for industry standard, IMO. :tiphat:

The thousand series is one of the best bargains on the market from my experience. They may not be the prettiest cigar, or have the nicest caps, but they smoke and perform damn well!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
-Ashton VSG the VSG's are great with a year or more on them.

-La Aurora Preferido- All the LA preferido's and the robusto's I have had were very good. The age ranges from 1-5 years, very smooth flavorful sticks.(Ecuador, Cameroon, Maduro SG, Corojo, the tubes, 100 Anos, and the Aurora Vintage 2003 Salomon)

-Vegas Robaina - Had one from 01 (thanks to Hendy) and that was a great smoke, one of the best CC's I have tried.

JxBr

Banned
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Avo LE-05 are on the down side. IMHO smoke them now if you have them.

A cigar I think is almost hitting full stride but will be fantastic for a few more years is the Stanford's Cameroon Reserve torpedo - 2006 limited production release. 1750 boxes made and they are smoking like a dream right now.

podman28

Podman Cigar Company
Rating - 98.6%
258   2   0
I agree that the VSGs just get better with age. LFD's do as well. They lose some of the power but the flavors just get more refined. Case in point is the Small Batch #2. When it was first released it was just a mega-powerhouse. Now, years later, while still strong it is about as flavorful cigar as there is on the market.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I agree that the VSGs just get better with age. LFD's do as well. They lose some of the power but the flavors just get more refined. Case in point is the Small Batch #2. When it was first released it was just a mega-powerhouse. Now, years later, while still strong it is about as flavorful cigar as there is on the market.
Yes the SB2 could be one of my favorite sticks right now. Totally agree.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0

I've recently smoked some Padron's from the 1998-2002 era, And they are smoking great. I have not been able to try any of the Anniversary series, but the 6000's are a completely different cigar. Most people disagree with me on this, but i think older Padrons are freaking amazing.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
It's funny you post that pic I had recently found some 3s over the fall w 4-5 years on them. They were a shade or two less but not much. While ok they seemed to missing some of the heavy coffee notes in younger ones. Thanks for the pic as well!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Justin, Bravo, Bravo!

This is a long overdue topic of discussion/debate, thanks for bringing it to the forefront! :clap:

As it relates to two of the cigars you mentioned in your original post; the original Master Blends (or as you refer to it, the MB1) I still believe it be an outstanding cigar, I don't believe it has really lost anything. I should mention I haven't smoked one in the last nine months though.

I guess the one that surprised the crap out of me was a Padron 3000 Maddie that Chris (ctaylor) bombed me with. He indicated the cigar was over 3 years old and I figured ok. Boy was I wrong, that cigar smoked wonderfully, great flavor and stength and not a single burn issue. Aging made that cigar outstanding and with it being "just" a 3000 I never would have believed that being the case.

Last edited:

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Justin, I gotta tell ya...I grabbed 3 of those La Ricky's you spoke of and smoked one today...That was quite tasty for sure.