What's new

Aged Cigars Thread. (expanded) Ver2.0

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I’m gonna say Padron, and I think it’s odd to see so many guys say that Padrons age well, because the general consensus is that they don’t need age. Well I also agree that they don’t need age. But the flavors really line up and become extremely smooth with a couple years plus on them. I smoke s Pam 64 Pyramid from 2006 or 2007 a few nights ago. And it was divine. A few days before that I smoked a fresh one and it was great too, but certainly more in your face coffee flavor. The aged version really just flowed over my pallet like a mild cup of carmel coffe with a ton of cream in it. I was very impressed by what age did to this cigar. I have 2 fresh ones left, and will definitely be setting 1 aside for at least 2 years. If I can wait that long.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Another vote for Padrons here. I have to agree with Dave's post above. They do age well but are great any time.
BTW, Dave, I didn't know you like Padrons. :eyepoke:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
This is wher I've seen a dif. Want to make sure everyone is talking about the same goods. 64s are incredable w age but there also more throaty and spice young as well. Maybe just more body in general. Im not arguing about the 64s and 26s but more the lower end ones.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
The 1 cigar right now I know is smoking unbelievable IMO is the La Riqueza #3 from 7/08 (right around the OR). It lost its ninja kick to the throat and turned into cocoa goodness.
Totally agree with you Justin...smoked one from 5/08 last night. I was blown away!

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I just picked up a box of OR VSG (from '99) and I am wondering how they are going to taste...I have only heard good things about older vsg....

~brooks

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had one Padron 2000 maduro last week and another a few nights ago--they were both around five - six months old, but the one from last week had a strong ammonia quality to it, while the one i had this week was great––smoothed out considerably in such a short time (less than a year), and the flavors were much rounder and the cocoa-coffee-almond qualities much more defined than a fresher stick. The Padron series cigars (mostly the 3000s) have always been my go-to cigar for a cheap, tasty, but easy smoke––nothing mind-blowing, definitely not complex or refined––but enough flavor and just enough depth to keep me satisfied. So yeah, I'll hold on to my Padron series sticks a little longer and see how they fare in another half a year....

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Besides CC's I would say the original T110. Smoked great ROTT then after a month or so tasted kinda blah..then about a month ago I smoked one and it is developing some very nice flavors...I got some black cherry in there! Older Opus are always a hit as well...Had one of the original release Perdomo 91 ESV's and it was great.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I just picked up a box of OR VSG (from '99) and I am wondering how they are going to taste...I have only heard good things about older vsg....

~brooks
Please let us know Brooks. Always enjoy the VSGs. Hope they don't disappoint you!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Thank you Justin!

I was out and about today, stopped into a place I had never been before and was looking at the cigars in there small humidor and to my amazement came across a box of La Riqueza No.5's....from July 2008.

Oh my God, it was just stunning, I smoked that baby until it burnt my fingers.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
TO jump on the Padron bandwagon, I was annoyed when I bought my first fresh boxes (2000, Churchill, and londres--got them on sale) because they didn't gave nearly as much flavor as the others I'd had.

Xddco schooled me on regular line Padrons, suggesting that they need at least 18-months. Since I've found that I usually agree with The Skipper, I'm letting them sleep (about a year so far, I'll try them out this spring).

I've only had a few 64s, but thought they were awesome fresh (ESP the natties). It would be great to try an older one sometime to compare. I'd expect the pepper to be toned down.

Last edited:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thank you Justin!

I was out and about today, stopped into a place I had never been before and was looking at the cigars in there small humidor and to my amazement came across a box of La Riqueza No.5's....from July 2008.

Oh my God, it was just stunning, I smoked that baby until it burnt my fingers.
I didn't care much for the LR at first. But I have a few #1s from '08 and they are VERY nice now indeed. Maybe these are one of those "either first month or wait a year" cigars. Regardless, I'm gonna smoke up the 08s and age the rest.

I had this exact experience with the El Triunfador, and they are GREAT sticks right now (as long as you know how to smoke a lancero).

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I had a VSG from 2000 about 2 months ago. It was fanastic.
Please let us know Brooks. Always enjoy the VSGs. Hope they don't disappoint you!
I am smoking one tonight at a friends birthday...just opened the box (and let me tell you, it was almost a religious experience doing that to a box that is 10 years old and smells like VSGs!)...I won't be able to officially review it (since they have not had time to sit), but I will certainly give my impressions...

~brooks