What's new

Aged Cubans specific flavor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
I have noticed that all the aged Cubans I have had that were 10 plus years old, and especially with Vintage ones, all had a specifics taste in them unique to only ones over 10 years old, and was in addition to the other regular flavors of the marca/vitola.

I'm unable to really describe the flavor except for maybe like old, very dry wood or kind of like cardboard.

Anyone else notice this and able to describe the flavor better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Honestly, if my 10 year + aged Cubans had a taste of cardboard, I would quit aging them and start smoking fresh only.

Cardboard taste in older Cubans have come for me when they were likely improperly stored and dried out. It certainly is the exception far more than the rule in ones I have smoked.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, if my 10 year + aged Cubans had a taste of cardboard, I would quit aging them and start smoking fresh only.

Cardboard taste in older Cubans have come for me when they were likely improperly stored and dried out. It certainly is the exception far more than the rule in ones I have smoked.
Interesting.
All of these were gifted to me, so I have no real idea on storage history

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Like Tom said true vintage cigars with proper storage have a depth and richness that you can’t get from fresh cigars. You will get a lot of the normal flavors cocoa, coffee, dried fruit but with a dense chewy texture and a savory finish. But that background of strength from the ammonia is gone. If a vintage cigar has been stored properly most of the time when you put it under your nose and blow out then inhale in through your nose there should be a nice honeyed sweetness. And some vintage Cigar’s they will have a certain type of dryness on your pallet also a light spice but should never be flavorless or like cardboard or having to search for any flavor. One sign of poor storage Is heavy wrinkling on the wrapper as this is a sign that they have gone through humidity changes wet than dry causing the wrappers too heavily wrinkle.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like Tom said true vintage cigars with proper storage have a depth and richness that you can’t get from fresh cigars. You will get a lot of the normal flavors cocoa, coffee, dried fruit but with a dense chewy texture and a savory finish. But that background of strength from the ammonia is gone. If a vintage cigar has been stored properly most of the time when you put it under your nose and blow out then inhale in through your nose there should be a nice honeyed sweetness. And some vintage Cigar’s they will have a certain type of dryness on your pallet also a light spice but should never be flavorless or like cardboard or having to search for any flavor. One sign of poor storage Is heavy wrinkling on the wrapper as this is a sign that they have gone through humidity changes wet than dry causing the wrappers too heavily wrinkle.
Yeah, cardboard was probably a poor description. Its difficult for me to come up with something for it. More like very dry wood is probably better.

None of the wrappers have looked any different from fresh smokes, and the burn, draw and construction is good.

And the unique taste isn't the most prominent, its just there, but not with anything under 10 years old, only with older ones.

I got them from a number of different people, so I can't imagine all of them let them dry out or improperly stored them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats! But I would expect that to help your palate, not hinder it...
I'm told my palate will greatly improve in time from not smoking, by a number of ex smokers.
Guessing it just hasn't happened yet, or I just have a crappy palate.
I read others also saying that they just aren't able to detect the different types of flavors that some do, so it is likely also just really dependent on each individual person

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Mustiness/mushroom/cardboard/damp paper could indicate a mold problem
This is 100% correct at some point in there life they were damp for a long period of time and that would get that mustiness. Also lots of vendors in Europe used to store their cigars in basements. Once that mustiness gets into the tobacco it is very hard to remove it. I have talked to guys that associate vintage cigars with the musty flavor. A good vintage Cigar will not have any mustiness!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Havanaaddict

I'm certainly not disagreeing with anyone here, as I am confident that you guys are more knowledgeable than me, but what seems odd to me is that we are talking about roughly 20 Cigars, from about 5 different people, from various parts of the country and only ones past a certain age.

It just seems the odds are against all of these different people and Cigars getting improperly stored, and only ones beyond a rough age limit.

Just seems very confusing to me, as I'm certainly inclined to believe that you guys are correct, since it would accurately describe the flavor I'm trying to get across

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Doesn't take very long to get mold. If they are stored overly damp and overly warm they can get moldy in under a week. I find it more of a stretch to say that such a high percentage of Cubans 10 yrs old have these off tastes and smells. Can't imagine them carrying the price tag that they do to taste like cardboard.

Could be so many things, next time someone sends you a well aged cigar smoke it right away and see how it is. May simply be that your taste buds identify the flavors of older cigars differently then others

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't take very long to get mold. If they are stored overly damp and overly warm they can get moldy in under a week. I find it more of a stretch to say that such a high percentage of Cubans 10 yrs old have these off tastes and smells. Can't imagine them carrying the price tag that they do to taste like cardboard.

Could be so many things, next time someone sends you a well aged cigar smoke it right away and see how it is. May simply be that your taste buds identify the flavors of older cigars differently then others
I agree.
Just happened with too many smokes, from too many different people for me to really be able to agree its from improper storage. The odds are just too much against it.

I have a crappy palate when it comes to tasting and explaining the tastes of different Cigars.
I tend to agree that I'm just interpreting something differently than others and/or not able to explain the taste accurately

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You mentioned earlier that you are an ex-cig smoker about 30 days? It take a real long time to get your palate back from that kind of abuse!

You may also want to consider the toothpaste and mouthwash you are using. I'm sure someone can chime in with the gunk (SLS ?) they put in it that makes the toothpaste foam but it is known to kill the palate. Try using a bit of baking soda/coconut oil paste to brush your teeth and gargle, see if your palate improves.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You know I have had plenty of cigars at the 10 year make that were in that FLAT taste category. The cigars I am talking about with that dense chewy texture and a savory finish are from the 70' 80's even early 90's. Also the draw will change the flavor alot, I have smoked a 98' PC that was snug and that flavors were just not there. The next on out of the same box and a great draw and the flavors were outstanding!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned earlier that you are an ex-cig smoker about 30 days? It take a real long time to get your palate back from that kind of abuse!

You may also want to consider the toothpaste and mouthwash you are using. I'm sure someone can chime in with the gunk (SLS ?) they put in it that makes the toothpaste foam but it is known to kill the palate. Try using a bit of baking soda/coconut oil paste to brush your teeth and gargle, see if your palate improves.
Yes, smoked for 30 years and just quit about a month ago, so I know its going to take time for my palate to recover.

Interesting on the toothpaste. Never heard that before. Will definitely look into that

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know I have had plenty of cigars at the 10 year make that were in that FLAT taste category. The cigars I am talking about with that dense chewy texture and a savory finish are from the 70' 80's even early 90's. Also the draw will change the flavor alot, I have smoked a 98' PC that was snug and that flavors were just not there. The next on out of the same box and a great draw and the flavors were outstanding!
Good point.
Certainly possible I just got some that are past their prime, or haven't reached their prime.

I know that there's no real way to gauge how long to age something

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Good point.
Certainly possible I just got some that are past their prime, or haven't reached their prime.

I know that there's no real way to gauge how long to age something

So true I have had a cigar from the 1920's that still had great flavor. And I have had cigars from 2000 and 2001 that were dry and flavorless! Like we touched on earlier Storage Storage Storage Cello and tubes also help a lot. A lot of the cigars I have had from the 50's 60' had cello and the ones I have had from the 70's side by side (R&J Corona) one with cello one without both were both great cigars but the one that came in cello was just a step up in flavor and richness!!!