What's new

Aged tobacco sources

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If this is inappropriate, please let me know and ill delete the thread. I didn't think it was since I wasn't talking about ccs, but I still wasn't sure. My question is, besides the bay, where can I get some aged (2009 and younger) tins of baccy? Google has failed me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I love about going to the consignment pages at 4noggins (or any site) is noting how old so many of these blends really are. Being new to piping, often times I get carried away thinking I got to try this and that as though these are all new blends that if not purchased - will never show up again lol.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new - I haven't ever had aged tobacco. At the rate I am buying, give me a couple of years and my entire stash will be aged lol.

That said, are aged pipe tobaccos that much better? I know I like my sticks with a bit of age on them, but some lose with age. I try not to let anything get past 3/4 years.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not all sticks are worthy of being aged and the same is true for pipe tobaccos.
Only the full bodied sticks age the best. All sticks will age to a point, 2/3 years and show improvement, but will then they begin loose their flavor profile. The fuller bodied stick, with the highest grades of tobacco, will age and improve for long period of time 15/20 years and much longer. Opus X, Paul Garmirian, Ashton VSG, etc. are examples of cigars that will age well over long period of time. Also, Puros tend to age better than blends.

The same is true with pipe tobaccos. Aromatic tobaccos do not age well at all, nor do tobaccos containing Latakia. Burly, Virginia, Orientals & Perique ages very well and can become amazing smokes with age.

It's a lot more complex than what I have said, but what I have said is a very good rule of thumb!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Not all sticks are worthy of being aged and the same is true for pipe tobaccos.
Only the full bodied sticks age the best. All sticks will age to a point, 2/3 years and show improvement, but will then they begin loose their flavor profile. The fuller bodied stick, with the highest grades of tobacco, will age and improve for long period of time 15/20 years and much longer. Opus X, Paul Garmirian, Ashton VSG, etc. are examples of cigars that will age well over long period of time. Also, Puros tend to age better than blends.

The same is true with pipe tobaccos. Aromatic tobaccos do not age well at all, nor do tobaccos containing Latakia. Burly, Virginia, Orientals & Perique ages very well and can become amazing smokes with age.

It's a lot more complex than what I have said, but what I have said is a very good rule of thumb!
English/Balkan tobaccos don't age well?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not going to say you're wrong, because I don't know that you are. But that goes against pretty much everything else I've seen/read. All I had heard gets worse with age is aromatics.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Damn...so my 15 year old tin of Frog Morton is going to be bland?
I think it's all opinion, the smokiness if the Latakia will be less and milder if that's what you really love about it, you may like it more fresh, the best answer is the one you have after a compare to a new tin and see for yourself and let us know