What's new

Aging really well?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Let's discuss some NC cigars that are aging really well right now! I'm not looking for an all-time great agers list necessarily, just things that right now are smoking really well after having rested/aged a bit.

The first that comes to mind for me is the Liga Privada T52 Flying Pig. These are spot-on right now, imvho. That doesn't mean they won't continue to improve, but right now they are excellent.

Next for me would be the Tatuaje La Verite 2009, both sizes actually. I know they only came out in June, so that's not much resting time really. These were great for me right away, but have gotten even better. Wonderful Pelo d' Oro flavor, for those who like that unique flavor (I LOVE it). This is one high-dollar cigar that I'm very glad I took a chance on!

Tatuaje TAA. Another that's not very old, but has really improved in a short amount of time for me. In my opinion, these are defiantly in the same ballpark as the Pork Tenderloin and T-Rex (which is nice, since I only have a couple of those left).

The Illusione Singulare Phantom remains one of the most under-appreciated LE's of recent years, at least for me. Amazing cigar, and seems to just keep getting better (to fly in the face of those who mistakenly insist that milder cigars don't change with age).

As always, there are several regular-production cigars that continually perform much better for me with some age. Sticks like:

Liga Privada (all of 'em)
Pepin cigars (esp. My Father, Tatuaje brown label, DPG Blue, DPG Black, La Riqueza, El Triunfador Lancero Especial)
Padilla cigars (most of them)
AJ Fernandez cigars (Diesel is better with a year or so for me; Ruination and Puro Authentico are tastier, but not as strong)

How about you guys?

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I smoked a MF robo with a couple years on it and a stank yellow cello draped over it a few nights ago. Holy shit does he know how to use tobacco that rests well........
Also T52s for me Need a year to really shine.
Got to add that MF had that Minty, cedar, apple cider vinegar thing going on the wrapper.

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've got a few Illusione mks left out of a box from '09, and they're freaking fantastic at the moment. I'd like to think I've got the will-power to keep one or two for awhile longer, but I don't.
-Dude™

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I don't do the cellar thing anymore. I still have shit tons of one-off custom event only cigars but to be honest, they are getting to the point where I don't want to smoke them. It's not like I can get another box or if I did...would cost me a lot more than I want to pay.

I smoke A LOT of Tat Noellas. It is my favorite cigar and I've probably smoked through about 15 boxes of them in the last 3-4 years. I do know that the rest of the brown line ages pretty good.

LfD makes a damn fine cigar too. I've got a couple boxes of the dl's from several years ago that are sublime.

DPG Blue's are the odd one out for me. It seems like those go through some long swings of being on or flat. Not even a seasonal thing either. I've had some that were "meh" but another one a few months later was pretty tasty. another few months and it's back to "meh".

Haven't had anything new from Drew lately. The last drew estate I smoked was an Industrial Press Brikk last month. Those were tasty then and still tasty today. i used to have a box of the torp's and the inside of the band said only the best vuelta abajo tobacco used and used to think wtf? Vuelta abajo is in the pinar del rio region of cuba?

Anyways...that's alll I got to add. Pretty toasted and should be in the intoxicated thread.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I smoked a MF robo with a couple years on it and a stank yellow cello draped over it a few nights ago. Holy shit does he know how to use tobacco that rests well........
Also T52s for me Need a year to really shine.
Got to add that MF had that Minty, cedar, apple cider vinegar thing going on the wrapper.
The first time I had a regular MF (very shortly after release), I didn't think too much of it, so rested the remainder of the 5er. Had my 2nd one over a year later, and could not believe the difference. 10x the flavor, spicier than when fresh, yet smooth. Crazy! I will say that I've since found that the lancero seems to age much faster than the other sizes. I actually still have 1 of the OR robos, though. Gonna smoke it this summer/fall (i.e. 4-years later).

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I smoked a DPG serie JJ Salomon a couple weeks ago with some nicely tinted yellow cello and man was it good. It's been a couple years since I've had these stored now so ya I'd say this one has aged very nicely.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Love most of the picks as well, the Pepin stuff especially. Enjoyed an MK from 08 yesterday that was spot on; had to pick up a bunch more that were from the same year to smoke for the next few month's. For me, though Puro Authenico's are relatively new.. they've hit the sweet spot for me relatively soon; 6-8 mo's of time and they are kickin'. I'll have to check back on the last batch I picked up back on from the holiday special for sampling in mid summer.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
To be honest, aging is one of the main reasons I smoke/buy more cubans now. I found the NC's that I liked, didn't have the aging ability that I need because I don't smoke that often. I only smoke 2-3 cigars a week in the Winter, 3-4 in the Summer. I would grab a 2 year old Tat with Conn Broadleaf and thought it wasn't that great. Some are, but some aren't. I have an early 09 Noellas box that I tried recently and am happy that the Browns age well but I will let them sit some more.

I haven't dug into my La Verite's yet as I wanted to get some age on them as I think they will do well. I LOVED the fresh 09's when we smoked them right off the tables in Nicaragua, but thought they weren't as good when I tried them on release. I am hoping I get the same flavor when I tried them fresh in due time.

The best NC's that I love aged is the Tat Blacks. I think the Black Tubos are way underrated and I'm glad I have a good stash of the OR. Another favorite of mine is the Padilla Miami Pepin rolled cigars. I only have a handful left and smoke them sparingly. I think Liga's age well but they haven't been around that long so who knows what 3+ years will do for them, I don't anyway. I only have 2 year olds. I also think the new blend El Triunfadors are great with some age. I really like La Riquezza's too and should buy more, but my money is going to Fidel right now. LOL

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ I agree with all your picks in the last paragraph there. Good aged cigars all. If we want to talk "all time," then the Pepin-folled Padilla Miami 8&11 and the El Centurian would both be on the list for sure, along with the OR Tat Blacks.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The centurions and 100 anos (sans the pc) went past their peak imo.

Tenderloins
DPG Blue lancero, White label 04s? (xxcdo send me a box a while back and they were amazing, pepin products age well in general imo)
Tat Red Angeles (06 boxes taste like cc's)
Tat West Coast (or the elo equivalent)
AF 858 maduro
Davidoff Zino Embassy 2009 perfecto
Flor de Ybor city 75
Ashton LAdC EE lancero
LFD Small Batch anything
Nat Sherman the white banded ones with the CT shade. I discovered some I bought from high school and they are, dont laugh, outstanding.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The centurions and 100 anos (sans the pc) went past their peak imo.
Interesting, because I'd put both of those on a "best of" list. The last 100 Anos I had (beli) was one of the most truly "Cubanesque" cigars I've ever had.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
agree with most everyone here ( the MF cedros 6x46!), but no love for fuente? opus x! anejo! the anejos are just butter, any time, but time does them well. the opus though really needs it. i'm at the point where opi ROTT are the novelty, and tucking them in is the norm.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm throwing in my vote for the Anejos. Personally my favorite cigar to buy with age on it. Turns silky smooth and has an amazing taste profile.

Since I haven't been in the cigar game for that long, I can only vouch for the cigars I buy aged. But the red labels I have tried with 5+ years on them are amazingly well rounded.

I have yet to try an aged Opus, but if they progress anywhere as well as the anejos, I should put all financial responsibilities aside and actively seek them!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
agree with most everyone here ( the MF cedros 6x46!), but no love for fuente? opus x! anejo! the anejos are just butter, any time, but time does them well. the opus though really needs it. i'm at the point where opi ROTT are the novelty, and tucking them in is the norm.
I think opus have always been like that so it's not that there is "no love", it's just more of a given that they do better with age, similar with Anejo but not as needed as you can smoke some Anejo ROTT. I personally think the same thing with most Tatuaje and a majority of Pepin's stuff too that they do better with age.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Padron 64 OMG they are the ones to age + the LFD Double Ligero Chisel it get more complex. but here i dont mean 10 years of aging 18 months is the range

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I had a box of OR Ricky's that were bought when released. I smoked most if them 2 years later. Absolutely sublime.... I found another OR at Casa and due to storage thought they were not nearly as good. If only I could repeat that box.....

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a box of cojonu 09 from may of 09. They're awesome.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Another vote for those and the 06s.

I like anejos too but cant really say there's a tremendous difference bet rott and my 04s. Just imo.

I lit up an or factory press. Theyre doing pretty well too