What's new

Aging / Storing

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, so there seems to be WIDE spread debate, opinions, emotions, philosophies as to storage of cigars. It seems temp is almost more important than what RH (within 63-70 RH). I've seen a good range of numbers. Seems optimal at 65-70 RH and around 65-70 degrees.

My question is this... what has been your experience?

Is there a preferred RH and temp for you depending on whether you are aging and whether you are storing for consumption? What have you noticed at the different levels?

The reason I ask is my experience is somewhat limited. i was always subject to what my local shop stored them at. Now that I have my own humidor, I'd like to know what to expect depending on where I put the settings.

Looking forward to the replies.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
If I am storing them for consumption then my preferred temp/humidity would be 65/62. If I'm storing them for age them it'd be 62/68.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You'll find plenty around here with lots of experience to share. The only thing I can tell you is make sure your temp is under 70 degrees to avoid the beetle and that you'll find that most prefer their smokes around 65% RH as they tend to smoke better there. And yes, that's my experience as well.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know if this is a huge problem but the RH, as I have previously shared, in FL goes crazy from high to low. I have been noticing that two of my cigars have cracks in the wrappers. I'm guessing b/c they dried out to quickly from outside in since I left the lid open seeing as how my RH inside the humidor was too high and today was a low humidity level. So two wrappers cracked, one near the cap and the other just below the band. Let me know what anyone thinks.

does the higher humidity help them age better? Also, when you keep cigars in your humidor do you take them out of the plastic and tubes? Hope that's not too low of a question.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Jwrussell said:
You'll find plenty around here with lots of experience to share. The only thing I can tell you is make sure your temp is under 70 degrees to avoid the beetle and that you'll find that most prefer their smokes around 65% RH as they tend to smoke better there. And yes, that's my experience as well.
Ditto :thumbsup:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
thebigo said:
I don't know if this is a huge problem but the RH, as I have previously shared, in FL goes crazy from high to low. I have been noticing that two of my cigars have cracks in the wrappers. I'm guessing b/c they dried out to quickly from outside in since I left the lid open seeing as how my RH inside the humidor was too high and today was a low humidity level. So two wrappers cracked, one near the cap and the other just below the band. Let me know what anyone thinks.

does the higher humidity help them age better? Also, when you keep cigars in your humidor do you take them out of the plastic and tubes? Hope that's not too low of a question.
Cracked and swollen feet on a cigar indicate that they were at too high a humidity.

Todd is correct, as long as you are under 70 degrees to take care of any beetle problems, although I keep mine under 70, and I still had a couple sticks have beetles. Luckily, they were in plastic bags, so there was no infestation. Now I freeze all of the cigars that go into my coolers, takes care of those little suckers!

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just my personal opinion here but growing up in jamaica, Cuba's neighbor, we never had to use beads, etc.
My immediate consumption is kept at 70 degrees and 65% RH.
Long term storage is kept between 65-70 degrees and 68-70% RH.
I found that plume appears when temp is constant and humidity is close to 70% RH. Basements prove to be very useful for this.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
tubaman said:
Now I freeze all of the cigars that go into my coolers, takes care of those little suckers!
So you freeze them for how long before they go into the humidor? What does the freezing to to the bug (crystalizes the internals to kill them I suppose) and more importantly what happens to the cigar and its "essential" oils. (I keep hearing about those). I am fascinated by this process.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
CIGAR BEETLE DATA

Cigar Beetle eggs can be killed by exposure to temperatures easily obtainable by home refrigerators/freezers. An industrial deep freeze is not required, as rumor has indicated.

There is a direct correlation between the time it takes to kill and temperature. The colder the temp, the shorter it takes to kill eggs.

The figures below are time to kill 95% (abbreviated LT95) of eggs exposed to the environment. Keep this in mind when applying these figures to cigars because 1) we want to kill 100% of eggs and 2) any eggs inside our cigars have a thick layer of insulating tobacco that must be cooled before the eggs will reach that temperature.

5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hours

The length of time you should freeze your cigars depends on the temperature your freezer is at. I highly recommend that everyone using their freezer to treat cigars keeps a fridge/freezer thermometer in there so they know roughly what temp range their freezer runs at. These are available at most grocery stores, usually with baking supplies. From experience I have seen home freezers that run anywhere from 1 degree below freezing to as low as -25c.
Right now I am trying to get data on how long it takes a cigar to go from room temp to 5c, and from 5c to -20c. Based on data from other consumables I estimate it would take a cigar at least 24 hours to reach the same temperature as the freezer (equilibrium) when it is moved into the freezer from the refrigerator. Based on this alone one should add 24 hours to amount of time cigars are kept in the freezer.
The times given above are to kill 95% of eggs. I have not found times required to kill 99.9% of eggs but doubling the LT95 for that temperature should be more than sufficient.

IN SUMMARY

Double bag your cigars and let them spend 24 hours in the refrigerator. I think everyone agrees that this gives the cigars a safe transition from room temp to near freezing. Move the cigars into the freezer. How long they should stay there depends on your freezer temp. If it is below -10c 72 hours in the freezer should be sufficient. That's 24 hours to get the cigars to -10c, 24 hours to kill 95% of eggs, and an extra 24 hours for good measure. When coming out of the freezer it is a good idea to let the cigars spend 24 hours in the fridge, and another 24 hours at room temp STILL SEALED IN THE BAGS. This protects the cigars from rapid changes in temp/humidity.

I know there are some out there who prefer to avoid freezing because of potential damage to cigars and the rest period required afterwards. The time required will vary greatly based upon the temp of your fridge. Keep in mind the temp will also fluctuate based on door opening/closing etc. (Although this occurs in the freezer, it is less of an issue due to the comparatively short time required) With an LT95 of 12 days at 5c I would personally keep cigars in there for at least 3 weeks.

This information should be applied to uninfested cigars for prevention of a beetle outbreak. If you have cigars that are infested or you know have been exposed to beetles they should be subjected to more lengthy treatment because they will presumably have far more eggs present than any uninfested cigars that picked up some eggs during manufacture.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
BigO, you really want to look into something like a wine cooler or cooled cabinet if you are in it for the long haul and need more storage than a 50-100ct humi. I'm in Tampa so I know all about the humidity and heat issues around here.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
tubaman said:
Cracked and swollen feet on a cigar indicate that they were at too high a humidity.

Todd is correct, as long as you are under 70% to take care of any beetle problems, although I keep mine under 70, and I still had a couple sticks have beetles. Luckily, they were in plastic bags, so there was no infestation. Now I freeze all of the cigars that go into my coolers, takes care of those little suckers!
So by too much humidity in the cigar, it expands and cracks the wrapper yes? If so, that sucks.

That whole freezer thing is a great idea. Here's another great freezer trick that my friends and I used to fool around with:

Take a bug (preferably one that flys) and put it in the freezer for about a minute to three minutes (no longer). While it is freezing gather some floss. After a minute or two has gone by take the bug out of the freezer. It will be immobile and will not hurt you as you tie the floss around a leg or neck (if it's the neck then don't tie too tight. A bug is not a cigar and you are not guillotine the bug). I assure you that the bug will not move for around 5 minutes. I have practiced this with bees before. My suggestion is to then tie the other end to a fixed object and in some cases the bug (if big enough) will still be able to fly around. I have found they are abler to fly if you tie the floss to the back leg, tightly.

I remember doing this at lunch in HS. What a blast. We would have ice cubes in a cup and there were always bees around and we were stupid (on top of the fact that I'm allergic to bees). We would capture the bee on the picnic table with the cup and slide ice cubes underneath. Let it sit for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy and voila...immobile bee. You can use some creativity here but we somehow aquired string from somewhere and would tie the bee to the table like a dog and watch through the windows of class as the next lunch class examined how a bee came to the point of being tied to the picnic table like a dog. I mean, come on, this is a fierce creature that can stink you! It's dangerous!!!!!!! And I tamed them.

Notice: All these stunts were performed by professionals or under close supervision of professionals. Please do attempt these events in the privacy of your home or at your next little league event. We are not responsible for any enjoyment or injury that may come about. Withdrawn...we are directly responsible for enjoyment...but not injury.