What's new

all time favorite movie line

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
From Cool Hand Luke
Luke: Anybody here? Hey, Old Man. You home tonight? Can You spare a minute. It's about time we had a little talk. I know I'm a pretty evil fellow... killed people in the war and got drunk... and chewed up municipal property and the like. I know I got no call to ask for much... but even so, You've got to admit You ain't dealt me no cards in a long time. It's beginning to look like You got things fixed so I can't never win out. Inside, outside, all of them... rules and regulations and bosses. You made me like I am. Now just where am I supposed to fit in? Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me? What do I do now? Right. All right.

[Gets on knees, closes eyes and begins to pray]

Luke: . On my knees, asking.

[Peeks up with one eye, waits. Then opens eyes and crosses arms]

Luke: . Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'm pretty tough to deal with, huh? A hard case.

[Clicks tongue]

Luke: . Yeah. I guess I gotta find my own way.

[Headlights shine through windows, backs up]

Dragline: Luke?

Luke: [Shakes head and smiles] Is that Your answer, Old Man? I guess You're a hard case, too.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Me and a couple of guys use to throw this one around. I might have to start using it when I send packages.

"Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!” - Christopher Walken in Joe Dirt

From Stand Up Guys
Val: They say we die twice. Once when the breath leaves our body, and once when the last person we know says our name.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
English, Motherfucker! Do. You. Speak it?

You guys have some strange (extended?) interpretations of 'movie line'

Me, too, I guess...just like discussions of favorite cigars - I can't pick just one....how about favorite movie lines?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
English, Motherfucker! Do. You. Speak it?

You guys have some strange (extended?) interpretations of 'movie line'

Me, too, I guess...just like discussions of favorite cigars - I can't pick just one....how about favorite movie lines?
Sometimes a single line isn't what stays with you. For me a single line rarely says much. There is too much bundled together emotion, context, symbolism, and so forth. Sometimes the only way to capture it is to drag as much of it along as possible.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I respectfully disagree. My interpretation of the OP is post up very short one, maybe two sentence snippets that evoke all that you suggest without accompanying context. Lines casually tossed into 'normal' conversation and whose references are immediately understood or completely missed.

Not to suggest that strong scenes, dialogs and monologues aren't extremely important. Just that they aren't as easy or fun to toss out offhandedly with malice of intent.

Such as when someone tells me I'm funny, I almost automatically reply "Funny like a clown?"
Their reaction to that question tells me an awful lot without any other context....and I get to LMAO inside at them no matter what they reply

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I respectfully disagree. My interpretation of the OP is post up very short one, maybe two sentence snippets that evoke all that you suggest without accompanying context. Lines casually tossed into 'normal' conversation and whose references are immediately understood or completely missed.

Not to suggest that strong scenes, dialogs and monologues aren't extremely important. Just that they aren't as easy or fun to toss out offhandedly with malice of intent
Bingo! I guess I could have called it one liners but to me that means just funny lines.
"I'm the dude, disguised as the dude, pretending to be another dude!"

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time. Like... tears in rain...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
"You're not Ron." That line, with his delivery, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I guffawed in the theater... I was the only one...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Think I missed that one.
Anchorman. Steve Carell's character Brick says it to Christina Applegate's Veronica the first time she replaces him in the nightly newscast. His whole world is so shattered, and his face and delivery are amazing. I was, apparently, the only person in the theater who thought it was that funny.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
"Earn this." Captain Miller to Private Ryan on the bridge as he dies. Then the waterworks start. Every time.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
"As the late great Colonel Sanders said, I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Will Ferrel as Ricky Bobby in Taladega Nights. One of my all time favorite movies and that line always makes me laugh, because in my younger/wilder/less intelligent days I was there more than I should admit.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigar related, from Open Range

Boss Spearman: Brought you a cigar, all the way from Havana, Cuba.
Percy: You don't say. I've heard about them but I've never had one. Much obliged to you.
Boss Spearman: What do you think?
Percy: Better than them crappers I usually smoke.

Boss Spearman: I see they hobbled you.
Percy: It's been a while since I was in a fight. I panicked. Fell back, like to have broke my foot.
Boss Spearman: Ornery old fool.
Percy: Well, or that damned Cuban cigar got me riled up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."
Didn't see the movie, however I do remember how much I enjoyed reading that .. . . ..35 years ago! Thanks:)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Didn't see the movie, however I do remember how much I enjoyed reading that .. . . ..35 years ago! Thanks:)
The book was so much better than the movie and that's saying a lot. The movie was great, one of my favorites but the book was a masterpiece!