What's new

Allergy Medication

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Aight!

Allergies this season are a BITCH! So, my question is, "Does taking allergy medication affect the ability to taste the cigar?" I've tried to walk through in my mind if it would or wouldn't, but I'm too tired to go into it. I can't taste the flavors with a stuffed nose, but does that allergy medication have any adverse reaction that would inhibit me from being able to taste the smoke?

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I would imagine, depending on the medication you take, that it might be possible. I take Allegra and have been taking it for some time and it has had no adverse effect on my taser.
Allergies are kicking my ass this week too. Im not totally plugged but I have this constant feeling of "getting sick" and its just taking every ounce of energy I have to function.

theritz226

Dom T
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take Claritin almost every day during the allergy season and it hasn't affected my tastes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when every goes green that I don't die. I'm sure prescribed ones may, but I'm sure the congestion won't help you taste the 'gar.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I've been on Allegra for years, before that I was on pretty much every antihistamine under the sun, none of them have affected my sense of taste. The allergy nose sprays on the other hand have caused quite a few issues.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I think it would be more of an issue if you were congested as the nose is a large portion of your sense of taste

So long as you didn't use a steroid nasal spray like Flonase shortly before enjoying a cigar as most are scented

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue, stopping the stuffy nose will go a long way in tasting. The majority of our ability to taste fine little detail is through sent...that is where you're going to get those fine notes in well blended cigars.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Been taking Zyrtec's now for some time, although, this winter I slacked and stopped taking it well because I didn't need it. Once the trees start budding here in NY and the flowers bloom I'm doomed.

But to answer your question, me personally I haven't noticed any change or difference in my cigar and pipe smoking experiences what so ever.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take Allegra (Switched from Claritin 2 years ago) and never thought of it. I do not think it has any adverse effects on my taste. I can taste better in fact since my nose isn't clogged.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would venture to say that the actual side effects of having allergies would possibly impair your taste ability.....then again, for how bad it can get maybe get the new onset of allergies under control and then get back to enjoying a stick every now and then......FWIW take care

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ask your physician about Flonase. Flonase is a nasal spray (not to be confused with Afrin) that used once a day will dramatically reduce the effects of seasonal allergies. I live in the central valley (read farming) of Calif. and the pollen and dust here are second to none. When I first moved here my eyes would swell shut and only a cortisone shot would help. Flonase has been a game changer for me. Do a little research and give it a try.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Flonase is over the counter now. I got some at the onset of allergies this year. Its been working like a charm.
@boltman where in the valley are you? I grew up there.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There's the possibility that it may impact your experience, but without trying one or another, cant say for sure.

Personally, things like Sudafed and Benadryl mess with my head so much that I can't enjoy a cigar after taking.