What's new

Am I Going Too Slow?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I was smoking too fast and recommendations were to slow down to get cooler smoke and limit harsh flavors. The suggestion was to take about 1 puff a minute. Today I was smoking a corona gorda and it took me 2 hours to finish it. I looked up some reference on cigar sizes and burn times and the consensus appeared to be that this stick size should only take about. 45 minutes to burn. I was really starting to get bored and felt like I was making no progress, this has been a common issue for me lately where I start to get bored when a smoke goes over 1 hour. So am I taking it too slow? How long do the different vitolas take you to smoke?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This is a really hard question to answer since it depends on a lot of things you can't control: burn rate of tobacco, etc.

It's hard to smoke too slow. If it's frequently going out, then yeah... that's too slow. But ideal smoking conditions are low temperature within the smoke, so I think you're smoking at an excellent pace.

Also, 45 minutes for a CG is absurdly quick. A very broad average is 1.5 hours for a CG. Some might fall closer to 1:15, some closer to 2 hours. Depends on the cigar, and how far you smoke it down.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Smoking times are a somewhat personal thing, much like other aspects of cigars. Some of it has to do with how the cigar is rolled and the tobacco as well. Smoke at a pace that you're comfortable with. Smoking too rapidly can cause the flavors to sour so if that's happening slow down, but if you're trying to take your time and instead you're just getting bored then you're not enjoying the cigar either. If you've just started then it might take a little trial and error to find your happy medium.
Dan

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
A robusto for me is an hour to 1:15 or so, unless I'm golfing in which case the rate is much, MUCH faster.

A CG would be upwards of two hours for me if I nubbed it- which I probably wouldn't after that long. I guess that's why I smoke a robusto 75% of the time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A robusto for me is an hour to 1:15 or so, unless I'm golfing in which case the rate is much, MUCH faster.

A CG would be upwards of two hours for me if I nubbed it- which I probably wouldn't after that long. I guess that's why I smoke a robusto 75% of the time.
Wait, when you're golfing you'd be more distracted and on the move more. That seems like it'd make your robusto last much longer not go faster.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1

Wait, when you're golfing you'd be more distracted and on the move more. That seems like it'd make your robusto last much longer not go faster.
When golfing, a cigar is always in my mouth unless I'm hitting a driver. Plus I tell nasty jokes and drink too much so I fly through a smoke quickly

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Find your medium where you like it. There's no correct burn time. There's an average, and there's an expected time for most smokers, but that doesn't have to be you.

I've found that while a minute is a good way if you're a newer smoker (like myself to a point) to control the ammonia and prevent the cigar from getting too hot, it's really just a basic guideline. I have some smokes that burn slower that I can puff 35-45 seconds, and not really notice a difference. If it does get too hot, I can blow out into a torch and burn off some of the ammonia if I want to balance it out. It also depends on weather, how I'm feeling, and who I'm with. I have friends who can down a cigar that would take me two hours in an hour and twenty. That's what they like doing, and it's whatever.

If a minute isn't working for you, wait until the cherry is pretty much gone, and then puff. That might be closer to 45-50 seconds, which is still more than acceptable.

Honestly, the best way you can figure this out is if you take two or three of the same cigars and vary up how you smoke. Try puffing 35-40 seconds, and see what you liked or didn't like about it. Try one again at the minute, and see what happens. Pick a similar size cigar, and try that same time and see what happens. It's kinda fun in a way, but I wouldn't over think it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Personally I take a puff every 20-30 seconds, depending on the strength. Stronger cigars I slow it down a little bit more. But keep in mind certain sticks burn slower than others also and i have no shame in saying this although i may get flamed for it, but I don't smoke every stick to the nub just because. Im still very much in the process of finding my favorite sticks and I'm always smoking new ones I've never tried. If its not my cup of tea i have no problem letting it die half way through.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I usually puff about every 30-40 seconds sometimes a minute. But recently I noticed I wasn't finishing my cigars because they were taking so long. So now, excluding my favorite cigars because I'd smoke way too fast, I just puff whenever I want to. Sometimes 30 seconds sometimes a minute. Unless its for a review or something I have never had, then I slow down so I can taste more and think about what im smoking.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I am working on my medium. I have had a handful of times I nubbed cigars. I am not one to nub them due to either A) Time constraint B) weather or C) they begin to get bitter/sour by the end especially lanceros. I think that may be the ammonia buildup. I have had a couple of smokes go out on me because I thought longer times between puffs would save that bitter sourness. Now I go anywhere from 35-55 seconds. In the end there are very few cigars that last being as tasteful by the very end for me though.

Stillinger, what do you mean by saying you blow out into a torch?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am working on my medium. I have had a handful of times I nubbed cigars. I am not one to nub them due to either A) Time constraint B) weather or C) they begin to get bitter/sour by the end especially lanceros. I think that may be the ammonia buildup. I have had a couple of smokes go out on me because I thought longer times between puffs would save that bitter sourness. Now I go anywhere from 35-55 seconds. In the end there are very few cigars that last being as tasteful by the very end for me though.

Stillinger, what do you mean by saying you blow out into a torch?
I believe he purges by pushing air through the cigar near a lit flame which expels the stale chemicals or some such thing. I heard about it in my research period.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Purging I have heard of, and love doing to help get rid of some nasty flavors. Not sure why one would need a torch... :scratchhe

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah. I occasionally will blow out to a torch/flame, as I guess it seems like it takes out some of the ammonia that builds up. It seems to work, as the flavor will balance out some and the lit flame does have a bit of a pop (from what I imagine is the ammonia and other chemicals that can build up).

I don't do it all that often, mainly on a lengthy cigar that seems to get slightly harsh to my taste. To each their own.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I am another one in the slow-smoking boat. A "typical" 5x50 robusto will take me around 1.5-2 hours to smoke, but that completely depends on the cigar. Padrons are one's that I can smoke faster, and sometimes take less than the 1.5 hours, but most are longer.
Like others have stated above; if you are smoking too slow, and the cigar keeps going out, then speed up a bit. Other than that, you need to find your own pace. Smoking too fast really does depend on the personal palate of the smoker. Some people can chug back a cigar in record time without having issues, while people like myself just can't manage to do that as it is just not in my nature to be ableto smoke that fast. It also has to do with another factor that I tend to use; putting your cigar down between puffs. I smoke about 99 % of my cigars in my garage, on the computer or watching the games, and thus have no reason to hold the cigar in my hand. It really keeps me from puffing too much. I noticed that when I get together for herfs, or walk around somewhere, I smoke faster as the cigar is always in my hand. Maybe that is an issue too ?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Your right on track brother; I started smoking slower too to really enjoy the smoke. On the weekedn ill light up a petite corona (anywhere from a 4-4.5 by 38-40 rg) and ill make my rounds in the car, it will last me about a hour plus a little change. I started to shoot for the 30-40 seconf puff time (a couple brothers have mentioned here)

When your with others and smoking (talking) its easier to hit the 30-40 second puff time. When your alone it feels like SUCH A LONG TIME between puffs, it will get normal soon. If the CG is too long (for either attention span or time) just grab a PC like me or a short robo and see if it helps. Slower smoking is the way too go for flavor trust me. stick with it!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah. I occasionally will blow out to a torch/flame, as I guess it seems like it takes out some of the ammonia that builds up. It seems to work, as the flavor will balance out some and the lit flame does have a bit of a pop (from what I imagine is the ammonia and other chemicals that can build up).

I don't do it all that often, mainly on a lengthy cigar that seems to get slightly harsh to my taste. To each their own.
So, in your opinion, the torch works better than a good old fashioned purge? I'll have to try that out.

As for the original poster, slower is better, but don't fall asleep. Dangthebugman hit it on the head.