What's new

Ammonia / Sour Taste Coming from Cigars

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you guys recall my introduction post, I had mentioned that my cigars have been tasting off lately. Well, today I was smoking a MUWAT that I had in my humidor for about a month after I picked it up from my friends humidor and started getting that same sour, ammonia taste about halfway into the cigar; I even heard a crackling noise two or three times when taking a draw. I know it's not my friend's humidor because I've smoked a couple from his stash and they've all been perfectly fine.

I think I've narrowed it down to my cigars getting ammonia sickness. Question now is, how does one cure this problem? Please help a brother out! This is preventing me from smoking my "good" sticks for fear of having to put it out halfway into the stick. :argh:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm using the Man O War Puro Authentico box and a Camacho Havana coffin both full of dry KL (same KL that my buddy uses) and 3x65 Boveda's. After reading the thread about KL/HF possibly getting tainted, I checked and didn't get any odor from my KL at all.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Tupperware + fresh boveda pack. A muwat shouldn't have a sick period by the time if reaches your hands, IMO. Where are these cigars from and can you buy them somewhere else.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Damn was worried someone would say Tupperware. Guess I gotta go get a bigger one. Should I throw away all my current bovedas? Most my cigars were purchased online and some from my local b&m but I haven't even smoked the ones from the b&m yet since I usually buy HTF there.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Every cigar I smoke comes out of a Tupperware with Boveda packs. I "cycle" my Boveda packs, meaning I have 5 that I use. Every two weeks, I buy 1 and toss it in, then pull out the oldest one. I have had no issues.

But, to answer your question, yes, toss out the bovedas and the KL and start fresh.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Every cigar I smoke comes out of a Tupperware with Boveda packs. I "cycle" my Boveda packs, meaning I have 5 that I use. Every two weeks, I buy 1 and toss it in, then pull out the oldest one. I have had no issues.

But, to answer your question, yes, toss out the bovedas and the KL and start fresh.
Looks like I'm gonna need more 65 bovedas then :(

Warning to whoever I sent sticks to: you might want to quarantine. sorry for the inconvenience.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0

I have great success with recharging my boveda backs, so it keeps the cost down.

If you need a large tupperware, just go with a cooler. I use a 70 quart xtreme and ive been using the same 4 65% boveda packs for 7 months no recharging :) My other more leaky storage need to cycle them monthly. Since i buy boxes the cooler is easy, all my loose sticks go in the end table, desktops or cab. If your b&m throws the boxes away see if you can scoop some up and put your sticks in there .

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh I have no need for a cooler. I don't have that many sticks lol. I usually recharge my bovedas too, but I was advised to throw them away and start fresh.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm not to the stage of buying boxes (yet) so, a cooler isn't necessary. I do have empty boxes in my Tupperware to keep everything as stable as possible.

Recharging Boveda packs is something I haven't ventured into yet, while I know that it would save money, convincing the wife I need extra space for cigar/pipe hobby would more than likely get my testicles permanently removed from my body

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Okay, so, I reread your introduction, you stated that you have a 8 bottle winedor? Could there be condensation from the cooling portion of the cooler? What you might be tasting could be molding? Just thoughts on my part.

You might want to consider putting your singles in empty cigar boxes with the kids removed so you can impart the cedar properties into your cooler more. Again, just my thoughts.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well most, if not all my stogies are singles. I did initially put my empty boxes that I got from B&Ms in the fridge but I had to take them out to make room for another drawer.

How can I check for condensation and mold? I don't see any condensation build up anywhere in the fridge (walls, floor, glass door, etc.).

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think I've narrowed it down to my cigars getting ammonia sickness. Question now is, how does one cure this problem?
The only cure for a cigar hitting a sick period is just to let it rest until it's through it. That's common for a lot of sticks, especially if you're buying online. Most NCs I've bought from major places (Famous, CI, etc) I will smoke within the first month, and then won't touch until after atleast six months. Seems to work for me.

I doubt you need to buy new bovedas. Keep cycling them and recharging, I've been doing it forever with nary a side effect. No worries there, don't waste your money.

I think you just need a few more cigars so you can let your incoming cigars rest for 6 months.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think I've narrowed it down to my cigars getting ammonia sickness. Question now is, how does one cure this problem?
The only cure for a cigar hitting a sick period is just to let it rest until it's through it.
So I've heard...any clue as to how long I should let them rest? Or does that depend on how many stogies I have? I think I've heard in one of CigarObsessions reviews that it could take months and the only way to actually know if your cigars are "cured" is to smoke one every so often. Is there any other way to know if the cigars have healed?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Cigars dont get each other sick, they get sick because they're continuing to ferment. Doesn't really matter how many you have at a given point unless they're all sick or something. The KL is nice in that it helps absorb the ammonia out gassing.

Only way to know is to smoke another one. Like I said, my rule of thumb is to smoke within the first month, or wait until after month six. Generally that'll prevent you hitting a sick one.