What's new

Angels Envy

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I bought a bottle and cracked it open a couple nights ago... couldnt even finish a glass of it because it was so antiseptic tasting but tonight is a night and day. Im three glasses in tonight and its amazing. WTF!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I usually drink rye, but a bought a bottle to remember my brother on the day he passed, as he was a bourbon drinker. For a bourbon, I thought it was very good, though I still prefer ryes. I sure don't remember any antiseptic notes.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Brother-In-Law said a similar thing about Woodfords. That one night it tasted so much like menthol... that he couldn't stand to drink it. A couple days later... it was delicious. No clue what the cause of it is. My guess would be things lingering on your taste buds from the day? Maybe that don't react favorably to the presence of alcohol.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I have some Evan Williams Single Barrel (2004) that is very antiseptic as well. Everyone raves about it, so maybe it's me or this particular bottle. I've been using it with mixers. I might have to revisit it.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I've had some bourbons that have not hit the spot a few times, but not quite like that. I've been finding that bourbons, like cigars for me, have to fit my mood. I'll take a small sample first if I'm not sure, seems to be working for me.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Evaporation
kinda? maybe?

actually, dustinspo and i have been kicking around an idea for a while... whether whiskeys will benefit from aeration or not. he has noted some pours will benefit from walking away for a few minutes, or an hour. i really want someone to side by side a pour out of the bottle versus through a wine aerator, and see if it makes any appreciable difference. what you may have had here was just a little light oxidation and/or evaporation taking the edge off an initial sharp pour.

mind you, points already raised about your body chemistry or mood at first tasting, versus second, are still solid and valid. just another idea to explore...

EDIT: also, as fair disclaimer, i just got done with our own "barrel selection" with angel's, where we tweaked the secondary finish to suit our neighborhood. and it has always been a favorite of mine. so i am predisposed to consider the shit rather pretty, as bourbons go.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
kinda? maybe?

actually, dustinspo and i have been kicking around an idea for a while... whether whiskeys will benefit from aeration or not. he has noted some pours will benefit from walking away for a few minutes, or an hour. i really want someone to side by side a pour out of the bottle versus through a wine aerator, and see if it makes any appreciable difference. what you may have had here was just a little light oxidation and/or evaporation taking the edge off an initial sharp pour.

mind you, points already raised about your body chemistry or mood at first tasting, versus second, are still solid and valid. just another idea to explore...

EDIT: also, as fair disclaimer, i just got done with our own "barrel selection" with angel's, where we tweaked the secondary finish to suit our neighborhood. and it has always been a favorite of mine. so i am predisposed to consider the shit rather pretty, as bourbons go.
Let me hit you with this. Ive been drinking single malts scotch for many years and have observed several things over the years and this is one if them.

On fresh opens I let it sit about it 5 minutes in a wide cognac glass. I do this for the surface area. I found this negates the initial "explosion" of anything volatile. I find that happens more with any single barrel/single casket or anything real high proof like glenmorangie astar.

Like cigars I do everything slow so I consume about a finger every 15 minutes and only pour two at a time. I find for scotches like glenmorangie signet it allows for 3 or 4 flavor changes which I can only equate to evaporation/oxidation. I ran a blind tasting and others observed a similar experience with signet. If you couldn't tell signet is by far my favorite scotch and its been consistent over the last couple years bottle to bottle. I can't say the same for nadurra which was an excellent 60 dollar bottle (the triumph edition is excellent if you can find it)

I never thought to accelerate through an aerator but I can try that with signet and see the results.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
^ agreed. I learned decades ago that walking away from my SMS pours took the edge off anything that my palate might find too bright, etc and resulted in a much smoother, more flavorful experience.

I let a glass of Talisker 10yo sit for a half hour on Sunday night and it was like tasting two different scotches - much the same as I've experienced with most pours.

Try it.