What's new

Another nail in HD-DVD's Coffin

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yep, they pulled out all together. Hasta Luego

my question is...this only affects you if you want to watch in HD on an HD TV right? If I am using a standard TV and DVD player, I will still be able to buy the old formats right?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Sony is ont of those companies that does not like to play well with others (like apple).
they have to be the ones to start format wars all the time.
When everyone did compact flash and sd they did memory stick
when everyone did mp3 they diid minidisc
when everone wanted HD, they did blu ray
Sony has done great things...walkman..discman...etc....but they are to egotistical.
But isn't that just business? I mean, the other companies are just trying to get their share as well.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yep, they pulled out all together. Hasta Luego

my question is...this only affects you if you want to watch in HD on an HD TV right? If I am using a standard TV and DVD player, I will still be able to buy the old formats right?
Not to worry. Standard def DVD will be around for a very long time.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yep. Just look at 8 track.:hysterica :hysterica
The difference is that 8-track was not a vast improvement over its predecessor whereas DVD is the fastest growing consumer electronics format ever. It will be displaced by Blu-ray eventually but that will be a long time coming.

Besides DVD doesn't pause in the middle of your favorite Jethro Tull song to change tracks while you're cruising around in your '72 Hurst Olds stoned out of your mind. Or so I've heard...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yep. Just look at 8 track.:hysterica :hysterica
I acctually drove a 78 T-bird Delux in 2000 that had a working 8-track player as the upgrade for the delux model. II had to find some hole-in-the-wall used record shop that had about 15 cassetts in stock. I bought them all and they played just fine.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The difference is that 8-track was not a vast improvement over its predecessor whereas DVD is the fastest growing consumer electronics format ever. It will be displaced by Blu-ray eventually but that will be a long time coming.

Besides DVD doesn't pause in the middle of your favorite Jethro Tull song to change tracks while you're cruising around in your '72 Hurst Olds stoned out of your mind. Or so I've heard...
I'm not sure I agree. It was kinda hard to put a record player or a reel to reel tape in your car. The 8 track made tapes and music mobile, a huge jump in technology and electronics. All that sound from a 4 x 5 inch box. Amazing, then poof cassettes.