What's new

Anthony Boudain visits Cuba

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Man those people may be repressed by most standards but the happiness they have as a island is more then many nations 100x there size!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Yes, under the law they actually can bring back cigars. ALthough not as many as I would want..l;ol
Not to threadjack, but are you sure? I thought I read the section on either OFACs website or the Treasury website and even for journalists this is a "no-no" :nono:

I'd be happy to get the facts straight - do you have a site with the laws you could link to?

On topic... I'm not really a fan of No Reservations, but I'll give it another shot and check this out if it hits On Demand or is played again.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The power went outmhere all of about five minutes into this show, so I missed it.

One of the ladies I work with is getting ready to go to Cuba soon. One of the conditions of her travel is that she spend no money while she's there. No cc's for me...

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not to threadjack, but are you sure? I thought I read the section on either OFACs website or the Treasury website and even for journalists this is a "no-no" :nono:

I'd be happy to get the facts straight - do you have a site with the laws you could link to?

On topic... I'm not really a fan of No Reservations, but I'll give it another shot and check this out if it hits On Demand or is played again.
They replayed it tonight. I bet they'll play it again this week at least once or twice.

I wasn't expecting a lot about cigars, if any at all. I wanted to visit Cuba for the cigars sure, but I've always been interested in the Cuban people and culture. Show definitely helped to further pique that interest.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0

I just finished reading the updated travel requirements from earlier this year. No goods shall be imported back to the U.S. including cigars liqour etc. This includes any liscence your under. Journalism, photography, education religion etc.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just finished reading the updated travel requirements from earlier this year. No goods shall be imported back to the U.S. including cigars liqour etc. This includes any liscence your under. Journalism, photography, education religion etc.
Exactly... which leaves me still wondering why the guys at CA aren't pursued...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Even without the relaxed laws, Anthony's wife is Italian, He is intitled to an EU passport. I was able to get my wife an Irish passport when we got married.
When we travel we do so with European passports. Things being the way the are now days.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
I Really enjoyed it, but how can you do a documentary about Cuba without mentioning cuban cigars?
Hello –
Bourdain did mention Cuban cigars during the first 5 minutes of the show. All he said was one sentence, something to the effect of

You all know about Cuba and its cigars and I’m not going there.

I think Habana is beautiful with the old building and cars – it adds to the charm. Kinda sad to think when the embargo is lifted all that might disappear.

I enjoyed it.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
A few things I noticed. Their passion for arguing about baseball seems to be a replacement for politics. Very good show but all of the beauty will change quickly when the embargo is lifted. All in all a good opening to Cuba if you are like me and don't know much about it aside from cigars and our history with them.
Well said! I was shocked at how much the public was into baseball. I know they loved it, but damn they're obsessed with it. All other Caribbean and South American countries love soccer except Cuba.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Hello –
Bourdain did mention Cuban cigars during the first 5 minutes of the show. All he said was one sentence, something to the effect of

You all know about Cuba and its cigars and I’m not going there.

I think Habana is beautiful with the old building and cars – it adds to the charm. Kinda sad to think when the embargo is lifted all that might disappear.

I enjoyed it.
The cuban cigar brands may change as well once the embargo is lifted. I heard there are major lawsuits in hand for the cuban brands once the embargo is lifted.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I too can't believe not even a couple minutes on cigars... oh well. Still a good show as I love the cuban culture, architecture and people. I hope to go BEFORE the embargo is lifted before it is totally overrun/changed by tourism.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I too can't believe not even a couple minutes on cigars... oh well. Still a good show as I love the cuban culture, architecture and people. I hope to go BEFORE the embargo is lifted before it is totally overrun/changed by tourism.
as long as castro, and by extension his family is in power the embargo will stand. All due to the cuban community in Miami, bourdain even said he was going to catch hell and he did for even going to cuba. Cigars were covered in one sentece in the intro piece, "the cigars you know about..."