What's new

Any Cyanogenmod geeks out there?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I was just curious if i was the only one that is always loading custom roms on my phone. I find Cyanogenmod 11 to be great so far. I am running it on my Samsung S3 and I am still surprised how much better my phone runs without the stock software.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've thought about it, just never pulled the trigger. I have an S3 as well so now you're got me listening. Is it hard to do?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I used to on my old droid 1 (back when it was new) and even built some of my own custom roms, but right now i have a moto x that I haven't bothered rooting yet.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
It used to be pretty complicated at one time depending on your familiarity with technology but it is a lot easier now. If you search on Google they have a Cyanogenmod App now that takes you through the process and I they have a program that will install it for you.

I think it installs 10.2 which is Jelly Bean but it's the most stable one they have and you will see a remarkable improvement on performance compared to the Samsung software.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I used to on my old droid 1 (back when it was new) and even built some of my own custom roms, but right now i have a moto x that I haven't bothered rooting yet.
I would love to learn how to tweak my own roms. The Moto X has pretty damn good stock software though so I can understand why you didn't mess with it.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I would love to learn how to tweak my own roms. The Moto X has pretty damn good stock software though so I can understand why you didn't mess with it.
It's not that difficult if you have some familiarity with programming and last time i checked plenty of information was out there with information on how to, I am far from a professional developer and was able to do it and will try to help if you have any questions. But I haven't in a few years so not sure if it is more or less difficult these days. There are also some tweaks you can do without having to install a new rom, like creating your own theme for the rom or apps (you can unpack apk and replace the artwork as well as stuff in the xml files and repack/resign and put back on your phone), replace boot animations, etc.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Had intended on going that route with my nexus 5 & 7 . youtube has it all laid out and was that close .
the attraction was its capability to feed a fiio e18 dac/amp to some nice iem's .

discovered the "usb audio recorder" app. also effectively does the trick - went with this on the n7 :)

Thanks !

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are speaking another language right now...but I am intrigued.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4...if I did this would it improve it?

Is it just a new OS?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You guys are speaking another language right now...but I am intrigued.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4...if I did this would it improve it?

Is it just a new OS?
It really depends on your viewpoint. You should get on the internet and do some research. You lose all the things that is related to Samsung like the motion controls. You do gain speed though and a lot of memory. I caution anyone new to doing this because it does have risks related to it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It really depends on your viewpoint. You should get on the internet and do some research. You lose all the things that is related to Samsung like the motion controls. You do gain speed though and a lot of memory. I caution anyone new to doing this because it does have risks related to it.
Ahh, okay. got it, thx.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer to let the vision of the initial designers remain, as it is what I paid for. Rooting, modding, over clocking.. ehh not my cup of tea.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ahh, okay. got it, thx.
I always rooted my phones. There are even Roms that run touchwiz so you don't lose all that samsung stuff but are just better versions. It's super easy to do. YouTube does a great job explaining. Although I always found myself going back to cyanogen mod. Which is essentially a super fast streamlined version of Android. Now that I have an iOS device though I should probably just shut up cause it's making me consider jail breaking lol.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've thought about it, just never pulled the trigger. I have an S3 as well so now you're got me listening. Is it hard to do?
I also have an S3 (verizon) and actually just last not got tired of how slow it was, and did a factory reset. Had been considering rooting for a long time but never pulled the trigger either... maybe I should !

I prefer to let the vision of the initial designers remain, as it is what I paid for. Rooting, modding, over clocking.. ehh not my cup of tea.
Depends on who the original "designers" are in your thought-process. Google and Stock Android is what/who I consider to be the original designer, and that's partially why folks root in the first place -- to get rid of all the crap the Providers add on there. (bloatware). For instance, you'll find things you can't uninstall, like "verizon app store" or "verizon ringtones" and similar. WHY do I need a verizon app store when Google Play store works fine? etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose I'm one of the few that enjoy HTC Sense and Blinkfeed, and things along that nature. As for Verizon, their apps are in a little folder labeled "Verizon" and I don't really care about it as it doesn't infringe on anything and is all disabled.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Actually, regaining the initial vision is the biggest benefit to rooting. What most consumers use is nowhere near what Android was meant to be. After it leaves Google it gets cut apart by the phone manufacturer and they put their flavor on the operating system, be it a skin or a complete overhaul. Then it goes to the service provider where they disable a bunch of functionality that they don't want you to have and add a bunch of bloat that their getting paid to include on the phone (trial versions, proprietary software, and other "forced advertising") then it had to go back to the phone manufacturer to make sure what the service provider screwed up doesn't hinder bar functionality of the phone. This continues back and forth until both parties are satisfied with "functionality" removal of options, leaving you with a mere glimmer of what Android could be.
This is most noticed by the delay in updates for most phones, as this process has to happen again with each new version of Android that is released. Meanwhile, someone with a "developer" phone running vanilla Android gets the update as soon as it's released from Google, and rooted users running custom roms can actually get "pre-release" versions ahead of the pack that the online development community have already polished to perfection. Many times, said developer community will actually fix bugs and glitches faster than Google and immeasurably faster than any of the manufacturer/provider skinned phones.
If that's what we're paying for, I'll gladly pay less for the phone without their software. But that's not the way it works. We pay less for phones with all the junk because it's subsidized by the garbage they add on.
But, maybe that's just my opinion.
YMMV.
Rex, I tell you what, I sure miss CM.
Still no reliable root for the build version on my S4. If I wasn't on my company's cell plan I'd go back to my S3 in a heartbeat, just for the flexibility!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I suppose I'm one of the few that enjoy HTC Sense and Blinkfeed, and things along that nature. As for Verizon, their apps are in a little folder labeled "Verizon" and I don't really care about it as it doesn't infringe on anything and is all disabled.
I was actually starting to love TouchWiz last night after my factory reset. . But I can't stand having a status bar clock and having a clock/weather widget. . So I installed nova again. HTC sense was cool too. . Been a while since I've had an HTC phone tho

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Actually, regaining the initial vision is the biggest benefit to rooting. What most consumers use is nowhere near what Android was meant to be. After it leaves Google it gets cut apart by the phone manufacturer and they put their flavor on the operating system, be it a skin or a complete overhaul. Then it goes to the service provider where they disable a bunch of functionality that they don't want you to have and add a bunch of bloat that their getting paid to include on the phone (trial versions, proprietary software, and other "forced advertising") then it had to go back to the phone manufacturer to make sure what the service provider screwed up doesn't hinder bar functionality of the phone. This continues back and forth until both parties are satisfied with "functionality" removal of options, leaving you with a mere glimmer of what Android could be.
This is most noticed by the delay in updates for most phones, as this process has to happen again with each new version of Android that is released. Meanwhile, someone with a "developer" phone running vanilla Android gets the update as soon as it's released from Google, and rooted users running custom roms can actually get "pre-release" versions ahead of the pack that the online development community have already polished to perfection. Many times, said developer community will actually fix bugs and glitches faster than Google and immeasurably faster than any of the manufacturer/provider skinned phones.
If that's what we're paying for, I'll gladly pay less for the phone without their software. But that's not the way it works. We pay less for phones with all the junk because it's subsidized by the garbage they add on.
But, maybe that's just my opinion.
YMMV.
Rex, I tell you what, I sure miss CM.
Still no reliable root for the build version on my S4. If I wasn't on my company's cell plan I'd go back to my S3 in a heartbeat, just for the flexibility!
Clint I couldn't have said it any better. I really like using the phone the way it was intended. As for the bloat App people may think they aren't in the way but they always take up precious memory. I just love having tap to pay. ;)

I was actually starting to love TouchWiz last night after my factory reset. . But I can't stand having a status bar clock and having a clock/weather widget. . So I installed nova again. HTC sense was cool too. . Been a while since I've had an HTC phone tho
Nova is the best. Even if I don't use CM I always root and use titanium backup to freeze TouchWiz so I can just run on Nova. It's the best launcher IMO.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know, I can understand that, but if I wanted pure Android without any prescribed aesthetic theme to it like HTC adds, then I'd just get a Nexus, and I did for my tablet, but I like the HTC One more because of its features and such.

If Nexus is what Android was supposed to be like, that would still mean the mods and roms were not what was intended. I rooted my N7, but I never felt that really did anything for it that I actually cared about.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I was at one point, until upgrading to the SG4. I hate that this phone is so locked down. I'm joining the Nexus line, the next go around and never leaving.
I am thinking my next phone may be a Nexus or maybe Vanilla S4 from the Playstore.