What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Mr. Pafk is incredible! That's awesome that you've been to his shop; I'd be like a little school girl in there and giggle the whole time. haha
He's had all kinds of high-rollers and heirloom seekers come from all around North America. My mom waited almost 18 months for him to finish her bedroom set (he's that busy). But the finished product was a piece of art.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
If that's what it's called
haha - I mean, is that the idea that you are going for? If yes, there are chisels/gouges that you can find that are made for that exact task. Here's one on Amazon. They also make a hook type of tool that you can use. Other than that, if it's not a huge surface area, instead of buying another tool, you could just go at it with sandpaper. Will take a while but it'll work!

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Those are awesome! Very simple and creative on the cigar rest and that book case is great!
Thanks, they're both impromptu experiments... Lol.. I just bought a table saw and router, and decided to see what I could do.. surprisingly, free standing furniture is much more difficult than a built in bookcase or mantle! Lol

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Any of you guys ever build an elevated planter box for gardening?
I haven't but it is something I'd like to try. My wife and daughters are into gardening and I'd love to get them something like this that get's the garden up off the ground so rodents are less likely to get into it. Seems pretty straightforward: make a cedar box with slats on the bottom, give it some cedar legs, line the inside with barrier, fill with dirt, plant your plants. (y)

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Thanks, they're both impromptu experiments... Lol.. I just bought a table saw and router, and decided to see what I could do.. surprisingly, free standing furniture is much more difficult than a built in bookcase or mantle! Lol
What kind of table saw and router did you get?

I have a crappy contractor table saw that was given to me (skill saw) but it gets the job done enough for me where I can then fine tune the wood after. In March, I won the NCAA march madness tournament and went directly to Lowes and bought this. Gambling paid off!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
@Mrkd4life do you have a Dremel? That's what I do the bulk of my rough carving with, then go back over with sandpaper.. I just use a small sanding drum, and a rotozip bit.. works well enough.. a little awkward, but gets it done!
...I need a Dremel. I forget how much can be done with those!

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I haven't but it is something I'd like to try. My wife and daughters are into gardening and I'd love to get them something like this that get's the garden up off the ground so rodents are less likely to get into it. Seems pretty straightforward: make a cedar box with slats on the bottom, give it some cedar legs, line the inside with barrier, fill with dirt, plant your plants. (y)
Cedar is naturally insect resistant, correct? What do you do about weather warping?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Depending on how fancy and large you want to make the raised planter there are lots of options. You can even use treated plywood, drill some drain holes and then layer with black plastic. Cedar gets expensive

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Cedar is naturally insect resistant, correct? What do you do about weather warping?
Cedar is the tits when it comes to building anything for outside. It naturally resists rotting but it also looks sexy and smells fantastic when you are cutting it up. Only downside is cost.

Warping you'll never be able to completely avoid; just make sure you give the boards room to move as they expand and you'll be fine. When I build one, I'll probably take the shiplap joinery approach so the boards have room for movement during the seasons.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What kind of table saw and router did you get?

I have a crappy contractor table saw that was given to me (skill saw) but it gets the job done enough for me where I can then fine tune the wood after. In March, I won the NCAA march madness tournament and went directly to Lowes and bought this. Gambling paid off!
That's a nice router, I've only got a 1/4" shank on mine.. you should be able to chew through some stuff with that bad boy! Lol..
I've got the big Hitachi table saw that Lowe's currently has, on sale for $399.. I've been really pleased with it. It's the only one I've seen other than DeWalt that has a rack and pinion fence, and it's half the price! Lol.. as far as everything else, I run Ridgid 18v.. router, sander, drills, circular saw, etc... Hell, even my compound miter saw is 18v! They've really come a long way with batteries..

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Cedar is the tits when it comes to building anything for outside. It naturally resists rotting but it also looks sexy and smells fantastic when you are cutting it up. Only downside is cost.

Warping you'll never be able to completely avoid; just make sure you give the boards room to move as they expand and you'll be fine. When I build one, I'll probably take the shiplap joinery approach so the boards have room for movement during the seasons.
I'd just drill, dowel, and glue the joints.. or tongue and groove..
If you glue, might I suggest Harbor Freight's $2 clamps.. they are awesome! Better than a lot that I've used, that cost 10x the price!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'd just drill, dowel, and glue the joints.. or tongue and groove..
If you glue, might I suggest Harbor Freight's $2 clamps.. they are awesome! Better than a lot that I've used, that cost 10x the price!
I might tongue and groove it. I've had some pretty good success with running the boards on the router table with a straight bit to cut rabbits on the boards and make the shiplap joinery.

And I couldn't agree more about those $2 clamps!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Now, one thing I've got big plans for is making a pipe.. I've been watching YouTube vids, and it seems like a lot of fun.. just having some difficulties locating good materials to start with.. if anyone has suggestions...... o_O
Do you have a lathe or are you going at it with rasps?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I can rough it out with the tools I've got, then finish it with rasps and sandpaper.. already attempted two.. I believe the third will be acceptable :ROFLMAO:
The stem is proving to be the hard part!