What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
@memphsdad - I would say find a design and size you like and go from there. I will open a can of worms and say pressure treated wood is fine, they haven't used arsenic in that process for years but some people still get their panties in a wad if you mention treated wood. I have 10 raised beds, 9 PT pine and 1 Cedar and the only one rotting out is the cedar bed. Thats just my experience though. You will have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable with PT wood. Sealing the inside with stain is fine, once cured it isn't going to redissolve and give you stain tainted tomatoes.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
@memphsdad - I would say find a design and size you like and go from there. I will open a can of worms and say pressure treated wood is fine, they haven't used arsenic in that process for years but some people still get their panties in a wad if you mention treated wood. I have 10 raised beds, 9 PT pine and 1 Cedar and the only one rotting out is the cedar bed. Thats just my experience though. You will have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable with PT wood. Sealing the inside with stain is fine, once cured it isn't going to redissolve and give you stain tainted tomatoes.
This is what I was hoping for, honestly. My original plan was to use PT.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've been wanting to do something like that, but a good slab is a bit pricey to experiment with right now.. lol

And PT is fine for a planter.. I'd build it with that, line the inside with some cheap pond liner, and if you wanted to, side it with cedar or something.. but definitely built from PT.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I've been wanting to do something like that, but a good slab is a bit pricey to experiment with right now.. lol

And PT is fine for a planter.. I'd build it with that, line the inside with some cheap pond liner, and if you wanted to, side it with cedar or something.. but definitely built from PT.
If you have a chainsaw go pickup the alaskan mill chainsaw mill attachment from northerntool. Then you can cut all the live edge slabs you could ever need.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I'd have to research that one. Cedar doesn't have to be stained, it will weather and gray over time which is fine. The pine you would want to seal but I'm not sure what you would use for it - does it have to be food grade safe since the soil your plants are in is touching it? Or, if you put a lining across the inside fo the box and then the soil, does that protect it from the sealer? I have no idea on any of this. haha. Maybe the other guys could chime in (@StogieFisher, @Boudie, @mjones9630, @luckyace12).
I wouldn't think the seal would have an impact on the soil (as far as being harmful). I would recommend sealing and letting it air out for any fumes. Maybe I'm wrong but any planter I've ever seen didn't require any "special" finish.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
How did you paint this? Do you have a link to the technique?
No links; I was just screwing around. :)

First I stained the whole thing with 1 coat of Minwax Jacobean. Once dry, I painted the whole thing with some blue paint that my wife had. Once it dried, I took an orbital sander with 220 grit and sanded away the blue paint in spots to reveal the Jacobean stain.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
If you have a chainsaw go pickup the alaskan mill chainsaw mill attachment from northerntool. Then you can cut all the live edge slabs you could ever need.
I've got plans to build one for my shop, but I've been to busy/lazy to get out there and do it..
But that's my end game goal, being able to take a tree, and mill out my own slabs, lumber, trim, whatever.. Right now, most everything is done with a table saw and router, being that I'm severely limited on space, and everything has to be loaded on the truck..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Dremel tool would be extremely difficult to work with to make a nice clean "divot" for the pipes to set. I'm sure it can be done but the learning curve for me would quite lengthy in order to make perfectly symmetrical ovals in size and depth.
The curved chisel method may require less time in creating uniform ovals.
It's something I'm needing to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think a Dremel tool would be extremely difficult to work with to make a nice clean "divot" for the pipes to set. I'm sure it can be done but the learning curve for me would quite lengthy in order to make perfectly symmetrical ovals in size and depth.
The curved chisel method may require less time in creating uniform ovals.
It's something I'm needing to work on
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would need a pattern, a plastic Easter egg maybe if you didn't trust your eye. Cover it with chalk or carbon paper and press into the wood, then route out the contact points. Just like a dentist does when trying to fit a new cap. Finish by sanding.

Don't know if you can still find carbon paper but I have done this before, it does require patience but you can get pretty close to the original pattern.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I like to work with hand tools. I rarely actually finish anything these days. I just enjoy the process. No dust, quiet, less chance of death. Most of my work these days is related to other repair/upgrade projects around the house.
WOW! I wish we lived close to each other. Would love to sit in your shop in learn hand tools. I've got a couple that I'm practicing with to get better (chisels and a few planes) but I'm nowhere near ready to build anything using them. haha! One of the upsides to hand tools that I've found, I can hear the music playing MUCH better! :)