What's new

Anyone following the "fake cigars at cbid" stuff on other forums?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I agree. If you buy a $2 cigar, it could be shitty long filler or decent short filler. I don't think there's a big difference between shitty long filler and decent short filler. Although, if you are are respected vendor who claims to be selling low-end long-filler when you are really selling decent short-filler, then that undermines your credibility.
They never stated that the Los Blancos had long filler. This is why CI or any company for that matter acts quickly to stop negative PR.. Because then all types of rumors start and even if the rumors aren't true, they can cause damage.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
In saying that, Maybe what I don't know is, did the original Los Blancos contain long filler and the new CI version does not? Maybe that is where this discrepancy originates and why Bryan tore the new version open to begin with. I'll have to do some research.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Let's put it in these terms. A pack of American Spirits regulars is $8.49 here in California. That's 42 cents a cigarette for premium short filler. A two-dollar cigar is only $1.58 more. That's $31 for 20 cigars. I would say that one cigar is probably the same as 5 cigarettes. So for one $31 box of cigars you are getting the same amount of tobacco in premium cigarettes that costs $42.45. I don't think there's a big scam going on here. In fact, if there was a cigar made of short filler from American Spirit tobacco, I would probably buy that over a cheap cigar made with crappy long-filler. Most of these big wholesale online cigar retailers are scammers to begin with. I wouldn't put it past them to be selling a lot of fakes in their popular lines, especially Cohibas and Montecristos. They could easily pass off those brands as real when they are fakes with a band on them.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm sorry, I meant not to return to this argument, but I can't let this go; CI didn't simply neglect to say, "Hey, this is crap...", they billed this "tobacco confetti" as a "premium" cigar (that is until our discussion, when they altered their ad) and unsuspecting buyers purchased that trash based on their false representation of their "product"! Furthermore, does it matter why Brian was prompted to examine it? If it was shit when he opened it, it was shit, no matter who checked it, or why! Really now, doesn't a retailer's word mean anything when we go to buy their product? I wouldn't care about all this except I've been their customer for several years and I don't care to be misled about the sticks I buy. Granted, "Los Blancos" are budget smokes, but a great many of us are shopping that arena. Don't we deserve the truth?
You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
It's late, go to bed. Tomorrow is another day my brother. (I'm up cause my sick dog went on the carpet.) One last thing. When Bryan Glenn was starting his CO he was a member here. He didn't last long for a reason.....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
It's late, go to bed. Tomorrow is another day my brother. (I'm up cause my sick dog went on the carpet.) One last thing. When Bryan Glenn was starting his CO he was a member here. He didn't last long for a reason.....
Yeah, you're right and besides, it was redundant so I deleted it. Hope your dog is better?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I'm sorry, I meant not to return to this argument, but I can't let this go; CI didn't simply neglect to say, "Hey, this is crap...", they billed this "tobacco confetti" as a "premium" cigar (that is until our discussion, when they altered their ad) and unsuspecting buyers purchased that trash based on their false representation of their "product"! Furthermore, does it matter why Brian was prompted to examine it? If it was shit when he opened it, it was shit, no matter who checked it, or why! Really now, doesn't a retailer's word mean anything when we go to buy their product? I wouldn't care about all this except I've been their customer for several years and I don't care to be misled about the sticks I buy. Granted, "Los Blancos" are budget smokes, but a great many of us are shopping that arena. Don't we deserve the truth?
So, according to your own saying, papas fritas are not premium cigars? They aren't long fillers, so therefore are shit sticks? Saying that a cigar is premium means it needs be made with long filler, is what you say... papas fritas are made with short filler, and therefore every single store that sells them are scam, because they advertise them as premium cigars, but they are made with short fillers.

... that's only one example of premium short filler cigar, there are other out there.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You get what you pay for. CI is a subsidiary of Swedish Tobacco Group (STG), a giant worldwide provider of tobacco products. They own cigar factories all over the DR, Nic, and Honduras. They specialize in producing mass market trash for low-income cigar consumers. We buy these cigars and smoke them to save a little on daily smokes. I know I can't afford to smoke a Davidoff and Padron every night. But there's people out there who can. More power to you. I wish I was you. Bottom line, you bought a $2.00 cigar and it turned out to be garbage? Surprise, surprise. Does anyone here think this garbage would sell if it was marketed as affordable low-income cigar, made just for you poor losers by the nameless and faceless wealthy owners of Swedish Tobacco Group? Lol. Support your boutique brands and eventually they'll be able to provide better quality for lower prices down the road.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blanco cigars is the real loser in all of this. Had to know that no good could have come from that type of deal with cigars
being produced at those kind of prices. If Brian contacted the Blanco guy about the video and
he did not object to it being published, that's a bad move.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Keep in mind that "handmade" in the Dominican republic is not truly "totally handmade". More often than not, when they "hand-make" a premium cigar in the DR, they bunch the cigar filler by hand and apply the binder with a machine... then wrap it by hand. Dominican brands view this as "totally handmade". Whereas in Nicaragua, "totally handmade" means exactly that, no machine in the rolling process....

Is the statement "handmade" also subjective in this case?
Pretty sure there are 'some' factories in Nica making extraordinary stuff many of us love using Liebermans.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
You get what you pay for. CI is a subsidiary of Swedish Tobacco Group (STG), a giant worldwide provider of tobacco products. They own cigar factories all over the DR, Nic, and Honduras. They specialize in producing mass market trash for low-income cigar consumers. We buy these cigars and smoke them to save a little on daily smokes. I know I can't afford to smoke a Davidoff and Padron every night. But there's people out there who can. More power to you. I wish I was you. Bottom line, you bought a $2.00 cigar and it turned out to be garbage? Surprise, surprise. Does anyone here think this garbage would sell if it was marketed as affordable low-income cigar, made just for you poor losers by the nameless and faceless wealthy owners of Swedish Tobacco Group? Lol. Support your boutique brands and eventually they'll be able to provide better quality for lower prices down the road.
Or buy a fantastic cigar made by Don Pepin Garcia which is made for and sold exclusively through Holts cigars. It's called "Old Henry" and is damn fine in every sense of that cigar-related term.
They'll pick your pocket for three bucks (on sale), but hey… you'll get more than you paid for.

And...AND...there are other fine cigars out there at that price!

(Shhhhhhhh)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Cigars you get at cigarfest are usually directly from the manufacturer, there is no way they are going to publicly deceive potential customers, that makes no sense for them.
I was referring to the cigars that cigarfest gives in their free humidor and gift bag at the front by registration, not the cigars that you get from manufacturer coupons in the event itself. Not worth the risk to me after hearing about CI/Cigarbid's cheap antics. They also lost my business for online sales. I'm happy sticking with JR Cigars from now on.

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Or buy a fantastic cigar made by Don Pepin Garcia which is made for and sold exclusively through Holts cigars. It's called "Old Henry" and is damn fine in every sense of that cigar-related term.
They'll pick your pocket for three bucks (on sale), but hey… you'll get more than you paid for.

And...AND...there are other fine cigars out there at that price!

(Shhhhhhhh)
Yea it really pains me to see people spending their money on cigars like that, when with a little internet searching and deal looking, you can find plenty of quality smoke around $2 - $3. I've recently purchased both PDR 1878 capa oscura and flores y rodriguez maduro for around $2.50 a stick. Both Dominican puros. Both quality cigars from a quality manufacturer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's blowing it way out of proportion. Like I said blame the guys who sell their names to CI who then use the name to sell you budget smokes.

An example of this outside of the Blanco scenario is EP Carillo. Another name that when misinformed, you are buying a CI blend thinking you're geting an EPC.

Sell outs.
CI is marketing these Short Filler cigars as Long Filler, that's called bait & switch. How can you have respect for any company that pulls that nonsense. Its a perfectly legitimate business transaction to these cigar companies selling their discontinued labels to CI. What's not so legitimate is the aforementioned "bate & switching" Cigars International is doing. If you joined a dating site and arranged a date with a Buxom Blonde bombshell and when she showed up it turned out to be a drag queen, I'm sure you'd feel the same way I feel about CI/Cigarbid.....duped.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I must have missed where the ad showed it was long filler. All I saw was that it mentioned short filler but they probably changed the original ad. If you are saying it did in fact say long filler yes I agree it is a bait and switch.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must have missed where the ad showed it was long filler. All I saw was that it mentioned short filler but they probably changed the original ad. If you are saying it did in fact say long filler yes I agree it is a bait and switch.
Fortunately or unfortunately you're right, CI has changed their "bait & Switch" technique to the WWJD approach, and are being honest for a change. The description of these Los Blancos Criollo's are now being advertised as "Short Filler" instead of the original statement of Long filler which I saw for myself after watching CO. I guess it only takes calling them out on their BS and proving it (like BG did), to get a little honesty with your hard earned dollar.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Fortunately or unfortunately you're right, CI has changed their "bait & Switch" technique to the WWJD approach, and are being honest for a change. The description of these Los Blancos Criollo's are now being advertised as "Short Filler" instead of the original statement of Long filler which I saw for myself after watching CO. I guess it only takes calling them out on their BS and proving it (like BG did), to get a little honesty with your hard earned dollar.
CI never said they were long filler. They did change their description though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3/5King is correct; I went to CI's "Los Blancos" site and they weren't saying "long filler" at the time of Brian's video. However, they did describe it as "a premium cigar" which it clearly was not, and after this thread, they changed their description. FWIW...