What's new

Anyone into competition shooting or the sport in general?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What about an old man who like shooting precision with rimfire .22lr off a bench. Is there such a thing? I have no idea on what the IDPA or USPSA means. Is there anything out there for me?

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
What about an old man who like shooting precision with rimfire .22lr off a bench. Is there such a thing? I have no idea on what the IDPA or USPSA means. Is there anything out there for me?
There's a club near me that does "Smallbore Silhouette Matches" which is exactly what you describe, though I'm not sure if this is a real thing, or just something my local does.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
There's a club near me that does "Smallbore Silhouette Matches" which is exactly what you describe, though I'm not sure if this is a real thing, or just something my local does.
Thanks, I don't think we have any shooting clubs around here, anyway I have never heard anyone mention one. I will ask some of the gun shop owners and see if I can find anything.

Actually, I need to talk to the lady I bought my best .22 from. Her and her husband live here in town and she shoots for Team Lapua and is has won the World Champioship in small bore, both individual and Team. Cathy Winstead-Severin is her name. My gun was a competition gun that she owned. It's a tack driver and fun to shoot. I can't believe I didn't know who to ask when I asked my question above.

Last edited:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While some consider SASS lame, I thought nothing of the sort and enjoyed the hell out of it until I got...well...lame. RA sucked the fun right out of it, what with spending the day on a rock-covered range. I'm just a casual shooter these days: a couple of 1911s, ARs, and some odds and ends. I'm a handloader, too.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
They do. It's called IDPA.
In all seriousness, while I mock the execution of IDPA as a "sport," it is still a good premise and attracts a lot of people to competitive handgun shooting. If you want to get better at shooting your carry gun, go find a serviceable pistol and then hop into IDPA or USPSA, or both. Actually, I would go watch a match first and then go choose a new blaster.
With the new IDPA rules, accuracy just got a lot more important. 1 second per point down now rather than .5 sec.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
With the new IDPA rules, accuracy just got a lot more important. 1 second per point down now rather than .5 sec.
I know. Perhaps one of the silliest rule changes in the history of sports.

To keep my comments somewhat relevant: both sports require accuracy and speed. If you only have one without the other, you won't do well. Hence why they are great ways to learn the art of pistol shooting.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks, I don't think we have any shooting clubs around here, anyway I have never heard anyone mention one. I will ask some of the gun shop owners and see if I can find anything.

Actually, I need to talk to the lady I bought my best .22 from. Her and her husband live here in town and she shoots for Team Lapua and is has won the World Champioship in small bore, both individual and Team. Cathy Winstead-Severin is her name. My gun was a competition gun that she owned. It's a tack driver and fun to shoot. I can't believe I didn't know who to ask when I asked my question above.
I believe there is a Joplin Action Pistol League - may not be what you're looking for, but the people involved would likely be able to point you to other shooting sports in your area too.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I believe there is a Joplin Action Pistol League - may not be what you're looking for, but the people involved would likely be able to point you to other shooting sports in your area too.
Thanks Dale, when I googled it I found they suspended the league due to theft. No idea of the particulars. I know a guy who is a member (may be on the board) of that range so I will ask him next time I talk to him.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@Old Smokey - you could also try reaching out to both the Missouri Sport Shooting Association and the Missouri Youth Sport Shooting Alliance. Since they are both statewide organizations, they could likely point you to more local groups to shoot.

As a point of reference, for me with competition shooting I consider anything around an hour or less to be a very local match, and a 2 hour drive is still close enough to me that it doesn't require an overnight.