What's new

Apple iPad

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PC's run the business world youngun.
Plus there are at least 3 "slates" from Dell, HP and Lenovo. Plus the Archos tablets with W7, should i go on?

The iPad looks good.Period.
The UI will be good as well.No doubt.

But, honestly, no USB?

In my humble opinion, a Laptop needs at least 2 USB ports. One for the mouse, one for storage device.

For a tablet/slate/pad/PADD:grin:, one would be sufficient since its touch controlled.

But one i need, for a USB stick or a DVB-T stick to watch over the air tv.
And, no, the dock connector ain´t cuttin it!

And no multitasking? Really? My SE k850i does multitasking, and thats a "dumb" phone...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
While not a mac fanboy I was truly disappointed in the iPad. Is it a Kindle killer - not even close. Lets see - wireless capability an extra $150 plus an extra $350 per year for AT&T data, compared to the Kindle DX at $498 with Wireless and free data connection, and Kindle global with same capabilities and smaller screen for $299. Maybe it will get better in later itinerations it will get better software and more capabilities, but for now the fanboys can buy the idoorstop.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Seems like Apple is really pushing the gimmicks lately, the Ipod touch, the Iphone, now the Ipad? It's not even a proper tablet computer, but their gimmicks are working and heres why...

Steve Jobs has a secret weapon! The power to make others believe that the trend Apple has started in personal electronics is actually a good thing! Look! The I pulled the following statement from the worlds most irrefutable encylopedia - Wikipedia!

"Reality distortion field (RDF) is a term coined by Bud Tribble at Apple Inc. in 1981, to describe company co-founder Steve Jobs' charisma and its effects on the developers working on the Mac project.[1] Later the term has also been used to refer to perceptions of his keynote (or Stevenote) by observers and devoted users of Apple computers and products."

You see? You see?! Hes controlling the minds of the masses! Its a conspiracy theory! EVERYONE PUT ON YOUR TIN FOIL HATS, I'LL MEET YOU IN THE BOTL PANIC ROOM!!!

... But in all seriousness I think its become apparent to anyone thats taken an in depth look at the Apple vs PC argument over the last 15 years or so. Apple has begun moving outside of the home computer market it in order to stay competitive and affirm their place as innovators in the world electronics market, and its working. Next time your downtown count the number of people you see walking by that aren't using an Ipod as an mp3/4 player.

Last edited:

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Did you seriously just call the iPhone a "gimmick", seriously? Ignorance is a bliss, isn't it? I've learned that lesson real young.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Did you seriously just call the iPhone a "gimmick", seriously? Ignorance is a bliss, isn't it? I've learned that lesson real young.
Yes, I did, perhaps "Gimmick" is the incorrect term, but considering innovations like that are changing the way people identify with Apple, maybe its more of a gimmick than you think :p

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sweet, which version did you pick up (?GB).

I thought about picking one up, but the price tag and the issue with it rocking while you type on it laying down kinda drove me away.

Guess I will say goodbye to my trusty windows mobile smartphone and go with the iPhone instead...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
sure... the ipad is pretty tame right now with the first release. but so was the first iphone. now the iphone kicks a**

the 3rd or 4th version of this thing will be tempting. right now, its just a super-sized iphone. not worth my dough.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up the 32GB.

This is much better than I expected. I usually pre-order most apple products but held off on this one until I gave it a try. Tried it this morning and purchased one right away. The iPad apps that are being released really make this device. Great content, app quality, etc. It doesn't feel like a big iPhone to me, but a newer experience. Keyboard is easy to type of, in landscape I can pretty much type on it using all 10 fingers as I would a regular keyboard. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Of course it is missing a front facing camera as should've been expected, but when the 2nd generation comes out, I'll sell the first gen and buy the 2nd and only take a $100 hit. I've been doing that with iPhones the past few years and I actually get the next generation iPhone cheaper considering I sell the iPhone unlocked for more than I paid for it brand new a year ago.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my take on Apple products. Compare a whole pc unit to a iMac or mac pro same specs you are looking to usually spend more money for the mac and this is why. Since they are the software manufacturer and they assemble thier computers unlike windows which is just a software package mac has the ability to test each piece of hardware with it's software and make drivers an whatnot work flawlessly this is the same reason nvidia graphics cards work better with windows based computers since the two have a relationship and windows and nvidia work closley together. Ever have to update an ati graphics driver you have to download a driver removal tool then remove the driver and install the updated version where as nvidia you just update painlessly. So with that being said I was speaking to a friend who works for NASA as a trouble shooter and he said in the 80's NASA switched to windows based computers and they had the time locating and fixing all the bugs created they eventually went back to Linux based because it was just that much of a mess. The only windows pc I own is my little $500 netbook and that is for surfing the net.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I picked up the 32GB.

This is much better than I expected. I usually pre-order most apple products but held off on this one until I gave it a try. Tried it this morning and purchased one right away. The iPad apps that are being released really make this device. Great content, app quality, etc. It doesn't feel like a big iPhone to me, but a newer experience. Keyboard is easy to type of, in landscape I can pretty much type on it using all 10 fingers as I would a regular keyboard. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Of course it is missing a front facing camera as should've been expected, but when the 2nd generation comes out, I'll sell the first gen and buy the 2nd and only take a $100 hit. I've been doing that with iPhones the past few years and I actually get the next generation iPhone cheaper considering I sell the iPhone unlocked for more than I paid for it brand new a year ago.

I'm glad you're liking it. I"m still on the fence myself. The fact that you'll be able to get iWork is awesome, and as soon as Office is available, I think that will solidify the iPad as a marketplace forerunner ... the days of Star Trek data pads that we can seemlessly download and transfer information is basically here! I can see these being extremely useful in a hospital setting, for example--being able able to access charts, xrays, monitors, and order meds and even do video consults (with gen 3 or whatever) all from one device ... awesome!

Here's a question for you ... how does it feel to type on this thing? I think one reason why the 90-degree keyboard-laptop screen situation is still the standard is because it seems like it would be awkward to type on a flat surface ... it seems like you'd have to hunch over it to see it, as opposed to the MBP I'm using now, typing on my lap on the couch w/out having to prop it up or something.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
i was on the fence untill i my buddy told me the ipad only charges via usb if connected to his mac not to his pc. since i don't have a mac guess i wont be getting one.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
i was on the fence untill i my buddy told me the ipad only charges via usb if connected to his mac not to his pc. since i don't have a mac guess i wont be getting one.
not normally true. there must be something up with his pc if it's not recognizing it. they should charge from anything usb.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm glad you're liking it. I"m still on the fence myself. The fact that you'll be able to get iWork is awesome, and as soon as Office is available, I think that will solidify the iPad as a marketplace forerunner ... the days of Star Trek data pads that we can seemlessly download and transfer information is basically here! I can see these being extremely useful in a hospital setting, for example--being able able to access charts, xrays, monitors, and order meds and even do video consults (with gen 3 or whatever) all from one device ... awesome!

Here's a question for you ... how does it feel to type on this thing? I think one reason why the 90-degree keyboard-laptop screen situation is still the standard is because it seems like it would be awkward to type on a flat surface ... it seems like you'd have to hunch over it to see it, as opposed to the MBP I'm using now, typing on my lap on the couch w/out having to prop it up or something.
I could definitely see this being useful in hospitals. Pulling up charts and having them, edited, created and archived would be so easy. Physicians would also be able to do charts from home remotely instead of doing them at the hospital or bring a stack home.

As for typing, at first it was a little tough but now I have the hang of it. It's not near as tough as adapting to when the first iPhone came out. I place it down and I can type with 10 fingers in landscape mode as I would on a regular keyboard. The case I have also will prop it up 20 degrees +/- so it's much easier on the wrists. In portrait mode I can type using my thumbs only and can reach every single key so it works out perfectly.

That's the rumors so far I was able to test it though. The iPad requires a 'High-powered' USB port which will often only be one port on each computer. For example my iPad charges through my Laptop USB ports (MBP) but I also have USB ports on the back of my external monitor that run to my MBP. Everything works through these, iPhone, camera, etc but the iPad doesn't.