What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I started my first AR-15 build and thought I'd share my experience with everyone and ask if others would like to post their builds as well. It will be fun to discuss things we've learned and see people take in a new hobby in general.

I am building a the lower receiver at the moment but decided to drop a 3# Velocity trigger in at the last moment which will be nice. I will upload some pictures of the parts and update as I'm getting everything done.

Git really lucky and snagged this kit for $50 at a local shop and noticed they sold for $200 at a shop down the street.

As I move forward I'll update. I also owe a ton of gratitude to a friend who isn't on here that is mentoring me through this step by step. A truly good BOTL.

Let's see your pics!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone know anything about DaytonaTactical? I've got deal on a few stripped lowers and probably will be building up an AR pistol, AR rifle, and buying an .308 receive for a long bull barrel. Anyways, they have lots of uppers that are cheaper than anyone else, but have no idea to the quality. The pistol is a fun gun, don't really need anything, but cheaper parts. The 5.56 rifle I don't mind skimming on some parts, but others like the trigger group is prefer more quality. The .308 I'd like a quality free-float barrel and hand guard, trigger group, and stock set.

Any info on reviews would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
It's for function only it did up looking pretty bad ass but I wanted a rifle for self defense and your usual 2nd amendment I sound crazy when I say it stuff.
You don't sound crazy to me Hoshy. You sound sane and intelligent. The second amendment is there to protect citizens from the tyranny of their own government. And if anyone thinks it can't happen here they haven't studied history.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You don't sound crazy to me Hoshy. You sound sane and intelligent. The second amendment is there to protect citizens from the tyranny of their own government. And if anyone thinks it can't happen here they haven't studied history.
Thanks brother, I put quite a few rounds threw it and have found I'm loving the iron sights. It's shoots like a charm and the trigger I put in still blows my mind.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Glad I found this thread!! Just bought my lower today.

Still deciding on my wants/needs/must haves. Leaning towards a Stag lpk but am unsure of my trigger choice, will buy a spikes upper to match the lower, and have my heart set on a Daniel Defense barrel(cold hammer forged/chrome lined/sub moa). I plan on building this as a multipurpose rifle (home defense/shtf/varmint/target/possible hunting). I'm buying this a piece at a time as budget allows (am very open to trading my home rolls for parts if anyone has an interest in that), am wanting to keep costs as low as possible, but am not willing to rush the build by cutting costs buying junk parts. I want this rifle to be reliable and accurate. My Grampa always used to say, "buy cheap, buy twice" and that old cowboy never steered me wrong. I'm open to suggestions on what parts/manufacturers/vendors I should be looking at, and also which I should steer clear of

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Still deciding on my wants/needs/must haves. Leaning towards a Stag lpk but am unsure of my trigger choice, will buy a spikes upper to match the lower, and have my heart set on a Daniel Defense barrel(cold hammer forged/chrome lined/sub moa). I plan on building this as a multipurpose rifle (home defense/shtf/varmint/target/possible hunting). I'm buying this a piece at a time as budget allows (am very open to trading my home rolls for parts if anyone has an interest in that), am wanting to keep costs as low as possible, but am not willing to rush the build by cutting costs buying junk parts. My Grampa always used to say, "buy cheap, buy twice" and that old cowboy never steered me wrong. I'm open to suggestions on what parts/manufacturers/vendors I should be looking at, and also which I should steer clear of
Your grandfather sounds like a great man brother! Lacking the tools to put my rifle together piece by piece I settled on a pre-built upper by BCM and was able to piece my lower together with stripped DPMS lower, VLTOR stock, and a CMMG lower parts kits. Troy flip up front and rear BUIS. My goal was same as yours brother.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Your grandfather sounds like a great man brother! Lacking the tools to put my rifle together piece by piece I settled on a pre-built upper by BCM and was able to piece my lower together with stripped DPMS lower, VLTOR stock, and a CMMG lower parts kits. Troy flip up front and rear BUIS. My goal was same as yours brother.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
He was the best man I've ever known. It's hard to believe he isn't with us anymore, but he is with me every time I cast a rod or pull a trigger.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0

Still deciding on my wants/needs/must haves. Leaning towards a Stag lpk but am unsure of my trigger choice, will buy a spikes upper to match the lower, and have my heart set on a Daniel Defense barrel(cold hammer forged/chrome lined/sub moa). I plan on building this as a multipurpose rifle (home defense/shtf/varmint/target/possible hunting). I'm buying this a piece at a time as budget allows (am very open to trading my home rolls for parts if anyone has an interest in that), am wanting to keep costs as low as possible, but am not willing to rush the build by cutting costs buying junk parts. I want this rifle to be reliable and accurate. My Grampa always used to say, "buy cheap, buy twice" and that old cowboy never steered me wrong. I'm open to suggestions on what parts/manufacturers/vendors I should be looking at, and also which I should steer clear of
Geissele is all you need to know when it comes to ar triggers. (y)