What's new

AR-15 in .22 LR?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Does anyone have an AR chambered in .22 LR? I'd really value some insights on it...I'm not talking about one of the conversion kits, but an actual "AR-esque" platform built specifically around .22 LR.

After some Googling, it looks like the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is the popular model in this categoy. But are there others out there worth looking at?

I considered a conversion kit for my current AR, but would just as soon buy a dedicated 15-22 for the purpose. But aside from (much) cheaper ammo, is 15-22 a good way to train for familiarity / proficiency with the AR platform? Or is it more of a gimmick?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! (y)

-jason

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I think it's pretty overrated as an actual training tool. That said, they're a lot of fun and a convenient .22 choice if you're already familiar with the AR.
The 15-22 seems to rule the roost. That would be my choice if I were in the market.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
As far as being a training tool... meh not so much but they'd make a fun plinker. (y)

My buddies kid shoots a M&P 15-22, runs pretty good.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
It's gimmick. Buy an actual ar15 and practice with it. Functionality of an AR is ridiculously easy. Don't see why you would need a rim fire version to make you an expert.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I owned a CMMG upper that ran pretty well. My only complaint was that the action didn't stay open after firing the last round in the mag. It was a complete upper assy. that bolted to my ar-15 lower. I sold that and ended up purchasing a M&P 15-22 and I still own it. The gun eats literally every kind of garbage (cheap) ammo that i feed it. I have put probably 5,000 rounds through it and it is still rock solid. It is made mostly of plastic so as far a weighted feel i would say it's different than an ar. It has a treaded barrel which i like because I own a suppressor. And the rail holds any kind of optic, forward grip, you would want to attach. If it were my money I would say go with the M&P 15-22.

Don't buy it as a training tool buy it as a really fun plinker and I think you will love it.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a 15-22 and it's a blast. Not a realistic training tool to .556 but still a ton of fun to rip through a couple hundred rounds. If you do purchase one get many magazines because it's a pain to re load 25 at a time

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 15-22 and it's a blast. Not a realistic training tool to .556 but still a ton of fun to rip through a couple hundred rounds. If you do purchase one get many magazines because it's a pain to re load 25 at a time
I second this! I own a S&W 15-22 as well and it can be fun!

IMG_1318.JPG

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Buy a traditional and get the 22 bolt and mags that will work its the best of both worlds! @multi-useless can chime in some infovhere
My limited experience with the conversion kits is that they work just fine, but I have to wonder if all of them work so well... Lots of AR manufacturers out there, so do all the kits work as well in all of them? I dunno...

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
My limited experience with the conversion kits is that they work just fine, but I have to wonder if all of them work so well... Lots of AR manufacturers out there, so do all the kits work as well in all of them? I dunno...
I'm sure they work fairly well, but I really don't care for the idea of converting or changing out upper/lowers anyway. Too much tedium; I'd rather be shooting...:D

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I mostly shoot .22lr due to cost and recently bought an Anschutz MSR MX22 and put a Zeiss Terra 2x7 scope on it. I bought it for punching tiny holes in paper as accurately as I can. I have only been to the range once since buying it and still trying different ammo to see what it likes. So far Eley Target is the best I had on hand but am getting some Lapua Center X this week and hope to hit the range Friday. At 50yds off a bench and a front bag I have shot a 7 round group that can be covered with a dime.

@EO80 and I got together and herfed at my house. Had
a great time smoking, listening to some music and good
conversation. Erin isn't a gun guy but I did show him the Anshutz and he seemed to like it's styling. It isn't an AR, but more based on a SCAR. Anyway, I love it so far and would recommend anyone looking for a semi auto squirrel sniper to give them a look.