What's new

AR-15 in .22 LR?

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Buy a traditional and get the 22 bolt and mags that will work its the best of both worlds! @multi-useless can chime in some infovhere
My limited experience with the conversion kits is that they work just fine, but I have to wonder if all of them work so well... Lots of AR manufacturers out there, so do all the kits work as well in all of them? I dunno...
Be careful with the conversion kits. .22lr bullets are a smaller diameter than. .223 bullets. This combined with their waxy, dirty lead bullets has a tendency to gum up the rifling on a good .223 barrel, sometimes beyond the point where it can be cleaned out, especially in the faster twist barrels. It can essentially turn your ar into an inaccurate smooth bore.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Had a MP22. Worked well, ate everything I fed it. But, like my GSG5 it was too much of a toy and not enough a tool. I use 22 for pest control regularly and my 10/22 is much better suited.

But for just ringing steel in the woods it was plenty fun. I just prefer handguns over rifles except for actual work. I do have an AR as well, but I think I've had it out twice since I bought it in 06 or 07.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@ZippoGeek Anschutz makes some of the worlds finest rimfire rifles known for accuracy and precision and are shot by many competition and Olympic shooters. The MSR MX22 was their first venture away from the standard long rifle and it wasn't very successful and were discontinued after a few years. The original MSRP was $900-$1000 but I have say them online for $399 on Gunbroker or maybe even less if you are interested. At least it is another option to consider in the .22lr semi auto platform.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an AR chambered in .22 LR? I'd really value some insights on it...I'm not talking about one of the conversion kits, but an actual "AR-esque" platform built specifically around .22 LR.

After some Googling, it looks like the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is the popular model in this categoy. But are there others out there worth looking at?

I considered a conversion kit for my current AR, but would just as soon buy a dedicated 15-22 for the purpose. But aside from (much) cheaper ammo, is 15-22 a good way to train for familiarity / proficiency with the AR platform? Or is it more of a gimmick?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! (y)

-jason
The M&P 15-22 is the best 22lr AR clone out there.... I've had one since they first came out and am totally happy with it! :)