What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I switch back and forth from smoking NC's and CC's. I like CC's cause i can smoke more of them without trashing my taste buds, but NC's i believe have more flavor.

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
Although I smoke and enjoy both CC's and NC's, the Cuban hold a slight edge in preference, for me. I agree that preference is subjective; however, for the sake of consistency of construction and taste, my choice are Cuban Cigars.

I am a huge fan of NC Arturo Fuente, Don Pepin and Jaime Garcia, La Aurora and La Aroma. I am a bigger fan of several Cuban Cigar makers (Montecristo, H Upmann, Romeo y Julieta, Bolivar, et al).

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I enjoy both. I don't like the snobbery that can come from some cigar smokers so I don't say anything is the best, it's all about what you like. But I smoke 90% cuban, 10% NC probably. My preferences have changed over time . . . but now I prefer a good cuban and will smoke a Liga/Tat/Illusione to mix it up or when I'm in the mood.
This is where I'm trying to get to, but currently have 40% NC and still buying Ligas and EPCs so have to try smoking more NCs to get the mix in the Humi that works.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think have almost every nc I have has been from a bomb. So far I think I've only enjoyed a few whereas with cc, now I understand the sick period, I like almost all and adore quite a few

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd wager that, in a blind taste test, very few people could consistently differentiate between CC and NC (assuming similar flavor profiles).

I'd also wager that if you swapped bands between the two, you'd find a lot of people with false allegiances.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd wager that, in a blind taste test, very few people could consistently differentiate between CC and NC (assuming similar flavor profiles).

I'd also wager that if you swapped bands between the two, you'd find a lot of people with false allegiances.
I would definitely take that challenge. There are only very few NC's that even taste remotely like CC's. I can name maybe 2-3 on the market today. Plus, 75% of the time, a cuban wrapper leaf will give itself away (they have a distinct look).

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

I participated in a blind taste test on another forum where two un-banded cigars were sent pre-cut (so there was no triple cap). The vast majority of us got it right. The two two cigars were the Quesada Espana and a QdO Corona.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I would definitely take that challenge. There are only very few NC's that even taste remotely like CC's. I can name maybe 2-3 on the market today. Plus, 75% of the time, a cuban wrapper leaf will give itself away (they have a distinct look).
100% agree. I'm a cigar neophyte, but even I think I could pick out a CC from a NC, 75% of the time (with a standard deviation of +/- 7.9%, obviously). Just very different in taste.

As to which one is better, CC. Not that NC aren't great. Just sayin.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average, by far, Cubans are the most expensive cigar. Does that mean the best? Maybe.

Wish more of you could become exposed to the wide diversity of Brazilian puros (the best kept secret in So. America) in order to find out how value can also shade the opinion of a discerning cigar lover..

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
On average, by far, Cubans are the most expensive cigar. Does that mean the best? Maybe.

Wish more of you could become exposed to the wide diversity of Brazilian puros (the best kept secret in So. America) in order to find out how value can also shade the opinion of a discerning cigar lover..
The habanos I buy are WAY cheaper than almost every Nicaraguan cigar I buy.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0

The habanos I buy are WAY cheaper than almost every Nicaraguan cigar I buy.
Yep. The majority of cubans I smoke are much less than the non-cubans I smoke. Tats/Ligas/Illusiones are $8+ for what I buy it seems like and I can get many good cubans for $6. $4+ for petite coronas which I smoke a lot of...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I chose overrated and my input is probably not valid since I have smoked maybe 5 or 6 ever. The best cigar I ever had was a Cuban. Not sure what it was though because the bands were removed before coming back to the US so they wouldn't get seized and they still almost did. That was the cigar that got me serious about cigars.

Since then I have had maybe a handful and I expected to hear the choirs of heaven but instead I wish I had a Gurkha instead because they sucked really bad. I want to go down this road and try more and get familiar with ISOM sticks but I do not know where to start.

With so many manufacturers making really good cigars now I am happy with what I can legally obtain. I do have to say that I dream of rediscovering and finding that amazing Cuban I had long ago and I hope someday I will.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Your Paying too much brah..

The majority of Cubans are 150-200 a box(6-8 a stick)... Where as almost any premium NC your looking at $250+ a box!(10+ a stick)

I believe they are the best... And when they are on.. Their heavenly!

I'm actually in the process of selling all my NC.. With the exception of a few opus, anejos, and liga privadas... Gonna go 90-95% Cuban

After the swap my collection could potentially grow from 600 sticks closer to 800 because of the price difference between NC and CC! And that's just using money acquired from NC to fund more CC purchases.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Nope, CC's are much cheaper. About 15% cheaper compared to premium NC's. But I am a fan of both. The drawback is that CC's are hard to come by in singles like NC's. I have had several Brazilian puros and I love the flavor profiles. Brazilian tobacco has a unique sweetness that I love. But I believe it shines when it is blended a la the Feral Flying Pig!