What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
:crying:Unfortunately, I have not had a cc. I smoked what I thought was cubana but ended up smoking a stinker that im sure I paid too much for. When (if) I get out of the country again, I will rely on the expertise of BOTL to steer me in the right direction...

Theoretically speaking, what % of cc on the internet are fake?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
:crying:Unfortunately, I have not had a cc. I smoked what I thought was cubana but ended up smoking a stinker that im sure I paid too much for. When (if) I get out of the country again, I will rely on the expertise of BOTL to steer me in the right direction...

Theoretically speaking, what % of cc on the internet are fake?
I am in the same boat, the one cc I have tried now seems very questionable.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I may of missed some of the previous posts.

Thank you, your presented position to me is one of the more reasonable and less personal amongst the cc proponents efforts to widen horizons. In case someone wondered where I fall on the opening question, enjoy both.
Don't get me wrong I love a lot of NC's but the question was best. And if you are talking well aged and/or high end CC's nothing else has come close.

Posted via Mobile Device

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
There are a few NC brands that still really do it for me, but for the most part, CCs for me... There is just more subtle complexity in the blending, where NC blending (not entirely, but largely) is heavy handed to say the least.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't get me wrong I love a lot of NC's but the question was best. And if you are talking well aged and/or high end CC's nothing else has come close.

Posted via Mobile Device
This is the crux of the issue. While I smoke both I find that CC's develop flavor and nuance over time while Nc's which seem to be made up mostly of strength just die out. Sometimes I'm in the mood for pure power and I'll pick up an NC but they just never seem to deliver the nuance I can get when smoking a Cuban.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0

Posted via Mobile Device
None of my post was toward yours or anyone's preferences, I didn't intend to create any inference. I regret not being more clear. Sadly on my part, I glanced over many posts; as I rather incompletely tried to say in mine. Reason being it was hard for me to read all the posts. A few posts to me, were rather negative; instead of being about their personal preference as to what is best for them. I definitely didn't want to categorize all the cc proponents posts together.

It did seem to me that some of those posts tried to negate what anyone's smoking preference is, part of the reason I felt KC had a valid position for a fair opinion about what's best to the individual. Like what has been said and is my personal outlook toward preferences that differ, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I enjoy both. They aren't comparable either. It's like asking what's better, a Mustang or a Camaro. Of course I am going to say Mustang, but it's personal preference.

I have heard this mentioned in various threads across time and it is the CC snobbery that exists.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Define "the internet"?

Are you talking retailers or forums/bulletin boards?
I assume that forums have honest and knowledgeable folks. The real focus was directed at retailers. Well now that you mention it, I guess both...

How would a cc newbie know how to tell. I am fairly confident about nc so I guess one would just make a comparison based on experience/preference.

My apologies for my cc ignorance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree whole heartedly that taste is subjective and smoke what you like.

Rex, you bring an interesting aspect to this discussion. Price and reputation (good or bad) do form peoples opinions about cigars...until you actually try them. With selling NC cigars in Germany, I already know I am up against a wall when I try to selll a NC cigar for €20. Germans look at it and think, "It's not even Cuban, why spend so much money on it?" But if it is Cuban, they will consider spending the money on it. Not saying it's right, that's just how it is. Even though the NC may taste way better than a CC, they won't think of it. There are some fantastic NC's out there. It is a challenge to change the mindset.

I love cigars. My favorites are Nicaraguan and Habanos. Lately I smoke more NC's because I'm finding quality issues too often with the CCs (tight draw, usually a hard spot where too much tobacco is tightly rolled together). Get's on my nerves.

Thanks, Micheal for livining it up a bit.

P.S. Rex, I have been smoking some great Brazilian Cigarillos (produced by Schuster) lately during my work breaks.
Those Bahia grown puros produced by the German manufacturer Dannemann are among my favorites. I recently bought a bundle of unbanded seconds by Dannemann for (US =) $4 each, that are every bit as good as the equivalent priced CC's Jose L. Piedra cazadores. In fact, the Dannemanns are better tasting.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I love both Dominican and Cuban manufactured cigars. I think that generally cuban cigars tend to have a slightly higher production quality (in my experience) over non-cuban manufactured cigars.

Despite this fact, I couldn't play favorites as this is like comparing different foods to one-another. Different tastes for different people means a split in opinion.

I voted for both!

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
I voted Cubans are better. I was into the NC's when I first started, but once I was gifted a few CC's then started smoking them regularly - I enjoyed the feeling like I was not just punched in the side of the face every time I smoked a CC.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I agree with several of the comments here..

Its really a personal preference thing... there are extremely high quality cigars being produced in several countries these days.. its really just about what you personally like best..

Is a Ferrari 458 (Italian) really better than a McLaren F1 (British) or a Porsche 911 GT2 RS (German)? All of them are 200+ MPH, $200K+ sports cars.. all incredible in their own right.. but all very different as well..

If a cigar has excellent construction, uses premium tobacco, is aged and stored properly, etc..etc.. (all the things we look for in an exceptional stick).. then its an exceptional cigar..

everything else just comes down to personal preference and taste (I personally like the McLaren F1 more than I do the Ferarri 458... but would never consider the Ferarri anything less than a top 1% sports car.. just not my personal taste..)..

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I have not been smoking for long, almost 1 year. I am with the majority, I enjoy both DC and CC. Because DC are easier for me to acquire, I have come to enjoy most of what comes out of Nicaragua. I still have a long, long way to go, so I am open to trying things from around the world!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some polls just never get the essence of what the real answer might be. Our tastes tell us what we like and if you can't make up your own mind as to what you think is better...I dunno what to tell ya. I love cubans and non cubans and I hate it when somebody takes a position that one cigar is supposed to be the best or better or whatever. If it were true there'd only be one cigar, one car maker, one house style, etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My personal preference is cc's. I do like the whole Padron line/ Opus X's/ Cain F/ Illusione Epernay's. But if given a choice between a Boli/ BHK and those lines, I pick the cc's every time. Except for the AB Prensado churchill I smoked (still have one in my humi) which had very nice citrus/ vanilla flavors, to me most nc's have one taste down to the nub. While cc's change their flavors through out the smoke.
But that's just me. And I prefer Makers Mark to any scotch. Ok, maybe not Chivas Royal Salute....:grin:

scotchNstogie

Crossbones 2011
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Define "the internet"?
A system connecting computers around the world using TCP/IP, which stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, a set of standards for transmitting and receiving digital data. The Internet consists primarily of the collection of billions of interconnected webpages that are transferred using HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), and are collectively known as the World Wide Web. The Internet also uses FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to transfer files, and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to transfer e-mail.