What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok so i am going to put my .02 in on this thread as I had my first stick from the ISOM tonight. It was a Partagas short that I received from a brother here and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed,
I was expecting something special, what i got was a decent spice with a burning feeling in my mouth and tongue that was not pleasant. There was no complexity with very little flavor other than tobacco, I can smoke a Marlboro and get that. I know I know one can't make an assumption from one stick, I hope my perception changes as I get to try more CC's but as of now idk why anyone would think they are special. I would take a Tat PCR over the Partagas I just smoked any day of the week and I've only had one of those. It is what it is, just my opinion for now, maybe it'll change...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Ok so i am going to put my .02 in on this thread as I had my first stick from the ISOM tonight. It was a Partagas short that I received from a brother here and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed,
I was expecting something special, what i got was a decent spice with a burning feeling in my mouth and tongue that was not pleasant. There was no complexity with very little flavor other than tobacco, I can smoke a Marlboro and get that. I know I know one can't make an assumption from one stick, I hope my perception changes as I get to try more CC's but as of now idk why anyone would think they are special. I would take a Tat PCR over the Partagas I just smoked any day of the week and I've only had one of those. It is what it is, just my opinion for now, maybe it'll change...
Just like most good things in life, tastes are acquired. A good bold cabernet, some good strong coffee, a good single malt scotch and a good cuban cigar... they are all acquired tastes my friend. :) If I would've sworn off coffee, wine, scotch, beer, cigars etc after one time, my life would suck right now! LOL

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like those before me have said I wouldn't make a judgement on roughly 27 different brands and 171 different cigars because you smoked one of the cheapest ones out there. Personally I really like the partagas short so as everything related to cigars/wine/bourbon/food/etc. a lot of it boils down to personal taste.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Cigars to me are like entertainment. NC's are more of a action movie that I need to be in the right mindset for. The good ones cost $10 like a movie ticket, but often deliver satisfaction if the reviews said positive things. CC's are like watching South Park. I am always in the mood for South Park, and its cheaper because its on TV. Even bad episodes(like CC's) are still usually decent. But then there are the CC's like South Park Bigger Longer & Uncut the movie that I have to buy the movie which is the same price as a movie ticket. Siglo VI is a good example of this, damn expensive but you are going to be completely satisfied and pleased time after time. But all said and done, most days I would want to relax with a nice episode of South Park(moderate price CC like BPC); and some days I want an adventure and will see a movie(Premium NC).

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I hate South Park and that analogy just made CC's less appealing, lol.

I am sure some have their "spot" that magically saves them money, but from what I can tell the price issue is starting to level off. I know some can list a book of CC's under $7 but the same can be done with NC's. I am not a huge fan of CC's but have a few I like and have seen the price increase on them to the point it isn't a "better deal" than NC's anymore. Coupled with the issues I have had getting them, having to age a box for X number of years, quality control issues.... it just isn't worth the hassle.

Several years ago, I had two people send me CC's that were "smoking great". All of the cigars had at least 6-7 years on them. Every last one of them had some sort of burn/draw issue. These were sent to me when I had not tried too many CC's and it did more to discourage me from seeking out CC's than anything else.

I am all about smoke what you personally like, but even after all these years I find the "I only smoke Cubans" attitude to be a little pretentious.

Last edited:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Years ago they were a bargain compared to non-cubans. Now, they're pretty much at parity with the way Cuba raises prices every year. Seriously, if prices keep rising 5% per year they'll slowly price out customers that were once in the market.

As to whether they're the best, well that's just a personal preference. I have some cuban cigars I love and others not so much, same with non-cubans.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I fully intend to try more, not going to write them off because of one $4 stick by any means. Maybe it was in the "sick" phase and off-gassing ammonia is why it made my mouth sore? IDK but it wasn't pleasant. The first NC I had (a Macanudo) hooked me into the cigar world and even though I have outgrown that particular stick I still have one on occasion. My point from my limited experience wasn't that I won't try any more it was that as my "first" one I was disappointed and didn't see anything special. I know there are some great CC's out there, there has to be for them to still be making sticks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the biggies OpusX, Illusione, Alec Bradley,
I fully intend to try more, not going to write them off because of one $4 stick by any means. Maybe it was in the "sick" phase and off-gassing ammonia is why it made my mouth sore? IDK but it wasn't pleasant. The first NC I had (a Macanudo) hooked me into the cigar world and even though I have outgrown that particular stick I still have one on occasion. My point from my limited experience wasn't that I won't try any more it was that as my "first" one I was disappointed and didn't see anything special. I know there are some great CC's out there, there has to be for them to still be making sticks!
Mostly the Cuban thing I believe is the mystic and taboo of acquiring something not legal some are good others well. Let's just say I think its overrated however enjoy them from time to time jus saying

Ron Skora

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Mostly the Cuban thing I believe is the mystic and taboo of acquiring something not legal some are good others well. Let's just say I think its overrated however enjoy them from time to time jus saying

Ron Skora
I always love hearing this argument, maybe it could be true for some blowhards who pick up a few (likely fake) Cubans to be "seen" with them, but for experienced BOTLs here, I find that statement to be fairly ridiculous.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

Ron Skora
I always love hearing this argument, maybe it could be true for some blowhards who pick up a few (likely fake) Cubans to be "seen" with them, but for experienced BOTLs here, I find that statement to be fairly ridiculous.

After working in a store I think that general statement has some truth to it. Sure, the purists here aren't in that mindest, but then again this site and people's knowledge about cigars is a VERY small percentage of cigar smokers. Guys would come in the store with no clue and the first question would be "Ya'll got any Cubans", trust me it was exactly the mystique and taboo that had them asking that!

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Yeah, it's prudent to remember that 90% of the cigar smoking public are morons. The cigar forums and people like us make up so very little of the overall community.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Ron Skora

After working in a store I think that general statement has some truth to it. Sure, the purists here aren't in that mindest, but then again this site and people's knowledge about cigars is a VERY small percentage of cigar smokers. Guys would come in the store with no clue and the first question would be "Ya'll got any Cubans", trust me it was exactly the mystique and taboo that had them asking that!
I agree with you about many smokers outside the Forums, Craig...and that most who have been around the forums for some time know better, one way or the other.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ron Skora
An exceedingly foolish general statement. Most likely, that statement comes from having smoked only fakes: real Cuban cigars would never leave you in doubt as to the higher quality that they offer.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Ron Skora
An exceedingly foolish general statement. Most likely, that statement comes from having smoked only fakes: real Cuban cigars would never leave you in doubt as to the higher quality that they offer.
x2- for me, too- misinformation. but smoke what you like

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I just picked up some cc's , Monte Opens and Cohiba Siglos and let me tell you the Monte's taste like shit and the Siglos kicks ass. CC's are just like any other cigar some good some not so. I enjoy both and favor neither.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My brother in law gave a nicely aged bolivar petite corona. It was outstanding. but I've also had outstanding nc cigars. I think once you get to the super premium cigar level nc to cc is not an argument anymore. They are both equally extraordinary. If cc's were more readily available i would have buy them alongside my nc's.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ron Skora

Like icehog said i love this argument. The issue I have with this argument is that it only applies if you're in the United States. Please show me a forum outside of one in the US that is dedicated to non cuban cigars. Good luck with that. I can show you plenty of forums dedicated to habanos outside of the US.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Ron Skora

Like icehog said i love this argument. The issue I have with this argument is that it only applies if you're in the United States. Please show me a forum outside of one in the US that is dedicated to non cuban cigars. Good luck with that. I can show you plenty of forums dedicated to habanos outside of the US.
Great point, Trent.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Most people here like both and that is where I fall as well. Choosing between cc and nc is like choosing between a Malbec and a Shiraz for me...I'll finish both bottles with equal enthusiasm :)