What's new

Are you a good tipper?

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
At the table it is usually 20% for good service. More for exceptional service. At the bar it varies, $1 plus whatever the silver from change. If it is going to be a long session at the bar, I tend to tip very large early in the evening since I will get drunk and forget later on. As long as you advise your barkeep of this at the beginning of the evening they usually understand and pour very well throughout the night.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Another thing that ATC just made me think of. Do you think those automatic pouring dealies that pour an exact amount every single time hurt or help the bartenders? They obviously help the establishment (until they lose business to a place that pours regularly), but what about the bartenders and tipping? I would think people would be less inclined to tip a certain way as it can't affect the pour...

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Until recently, South Carolina had to sell liquor in the mini airplane bottles so they wouldn't pad the drinks. People get use to whatever pouring setups that are being used but, I always feel like I could have gotten a drink out of a vending machine if all they have to do is push a button. Hell, I'm not that bright and I can push a button. I did see a show on Billy Bob's at the Stockyards in Ft. Worth once. They weigh each bottle of booze at the end of the evening to see how accurate the bartenders are pouring. Makes you want to set up still and say to hell with all of them. :bottle: :pokemyeye

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
honestly some of the jiggers(the measuring devices) pour more than your avg 5 count does, especially with thicker and heavier liquors....

the truest form of being accurate are the electronic pour spots that only allow 1.5 ounces a shot.. to be poured at a time.... you have to turn the bottle over and wait like 3 seconds to repour another shot... Not a fan of these cause it takes to long to pour a double or a straight up martini..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
honestly some of the jiggers(the measuring devices) pour more than your avg 5 count does, especially with thicker and heavier liquors....

the truest form of being accurate are the electronic pour spots that only allow 1.5 ounces a shot.. to be poured at a time.... you have to turn the bottle over and wait like 3 seconds to repour another shot... Not a fan of these cause it takes to long to pour a double or a straight up martini..
A bar in college got those, people stopped going

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
who gives a shit what snopes thinks on this one? it's definitely to insure promptness or to insure productivitey...if not, what the hell is the reason for a tip?
I think to also insure that they don't spit (or worse) in your food. :headroll: :headroll: :headroll: :headroll:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow, little touchy on the subject AZ? A tip is a gratuity. It's something you give in recognition of good service. Snopes was just disabusing the notion that the word "TIP" came from an acronym.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My grandfather used to leave $3 tip for any sized bill when we would go out, and he would think that it was good. It was embarassing, and I would always sneak back in under the pretense of "I forgot my doggie bag" or some other item, and recitify the situation. Some people are just unaware of proper tipping etiquette, and then there are those who don't give a shit.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Part of me really agrees with AZ. I was a server. I know how crappy the job can be. Servers also live on tips. I have always tipped well but part of me asks why is this an obligation. Why can employers pay 2.13 an hour? Why is it my job to pay the restaurants employees? It should be tip for good service but I find myself leaving good tips for very average service. Part of me resents it. I would prefer to leave a 50% tip for a great server and a 0% tip to the server that basically ignored me for an hour. But, that's not how the world works and I know these people have to eat too....even the crappy servers.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
oh PS: My wife was a server at a nice steak house. These same women came in every week and ran the servers to death. They were nasty and tipped like crap. My wife told me that 5 different servers loogied up her diet coke. I guess the woman slurped it down while the girls just laughed. If you are a regular anywhere you best tip well despite the service.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
There is more mediocre service out there than good service, and that is one of the things that make this conversation go..