What's new

assistance with a coffee

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
My Java brothers please don't castrate me on this but I must ask for some direction..... So I was gifted a Keurig coffee machine a couple moths ago when my girlfriend and I moved into our new place. So im looking for a "good" coffee I can use with this machine. We have the filter to use ground coffee or am I dust beating a dead horse and need to go a different route? Thanks for any help

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I think as long as you put an * in front of keurig coffee they'll be ok with you :grin:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I think as long as you put an * in front of keurig coffee they'll be ok with you :grin:
Haha.

Please say *coffee flavored beverage made from a Keurig when discussing this henceforth. :)

In all seriousness, if you use good, fresh roasted coffee that is ground and filled into the "my k cup" thing right before you brew it, it'll make a decent cup. The root problem is that the machine doesn't heat the water to a hot enough temperature (195-205 degrees, or "just off the boil") to allow for optimal extraction & the steep time isn't long enough either. However, it'll prolly be decent as long as the coffee is good quality & fresh roasted/ground though.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
At the risk of being murdered by someone who truly knows about coffee, I love the Gevalia coffees in all forms, k cup ground and whole bean. I havent found one I dont like except decaf but I avoid decaf at all costs from anywhere so...

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Thanks guys I'll be sure to look at these. I just need a real coffee. Dunkin D coffee doesn't do it for me. Ever since I lived in CT and was working for an Italian guy who's father couldn't even speak English, on coffee break he'd make me a double shot of espresso. It was so damn good. Ever since then I've tried to find a place that makes them like he had but just couldn't. I know it's a completely different process but I would love to wake up to a great cup of Joe in the am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ps sorry I just rambled on. I noticed this after I posted.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
The root problem is that the machine doesn't heat the water to a hot enough temperature (195-205 degrees, or "just off the boil") to allow for optimal extraction & the steep time isn't long enough either.
Hey Java - And that is the very reason I bought and have loved my Technivorm Moccamaster for the last 8 years. The Technivorm is a beast, 8 years later it is still like the day I bought.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Haha.

Please say *coffee flavored beverage made from a Keurig when discussing this henceforth. :)

In all seriousness, if you use good, fresh roasted coffee that is ground and filled into the "my k cup" thing right before you brew it, it'll make a decent cup. The root problem is that the machine doesn't heat the water to a hot enough temperature (195-205 degrees, or "just off the boil") to allow for optimal extraction & the steep time isn't long enough either. However, it'll prolly be decent as long as the coffee is good quality & fresh roasted/ground though.
Which coffee machines do you consider to be a good purchase? Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
define. are you looking for the best of the best, the best cost effective, the best out of a certain style, or what?

on my side, my bunn is a work horse, taking care of my daily fix. if i want to stop and pay attention to my coffee, a french press, pour over set up, or aeroporess all make amazing cups for the money required.

if you want to drop a pile of coin, technivorm, from reviews and kev's testimonials, is the way to go.

espresso? just don't buy one unless you are willing to drop money. cheap is not adequate or even good, and good is NOT cheap.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
define. are you looking for the best of the best, the best cost effective, the best out of a certain style, or what?

on my side, my bunn is a work horse, taking care of my daily fix. if i want to stop and pay attention to my coffee, a french press, pour over set up, or aeroporess all make amazing cups for the money required.

if you want to drop a pile of coin, technivorm, from reviews and kev's testimonials, is the way to go.

espresso? just don't buy one unless you are willing to drop money. cheap is not adequate or even good, and good is NOT cheap.
Best, cost effective, under $200. Just for black coffee, so no expresso options. Thanks.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive got 2 options in my house...

for a quick, "ok" cup... that I require as I scramble out the door.. I run the dredded keurig....

for anything "good".. I have a simple french press that I use.. which pretty much gets run daily...

there truly is a HUGE difference in the two..

I've "experimented" with the little load your own basket/k-cups... put really excellent coffee in there.. and then tried it side by side with a cup made from the same bean/batch that was run through the french press (done this several times with several different coffees)...

there is no comparison... the $19 french press beats the snot out of the $199 keurig B70 platinum... every.. single.. time....

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0

Best, cost effective, under $200. Just for black coffee, so no expresso options. Thanks.

I haven't used/tested one yet, but going off of reviews from coffee guys that I trust on another board I'm on, the best "under $200" brewer out right now is probably the Behmor Brazen:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/electric-brewers/behmor-brazen/brazen-brewer-by-behmor.html

It's only an 8 cup brewer, but to allows you to control many of the brewing parameters like brew temperature, altitude compensation, pre-wetting of the grouds, steep time, etc. It comes with a gold mesh filter basket too. If I was looking for a brewer at the $200 limit, that's what I'd buy. If you want to spend a little more for the best drip brewer that money can buy, get a Technivorm.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/electric-brewers/technivorm-brewers/technivorm-kbts-8-cup-thermal-brewer.html

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Shawn,

You might try looking into some of the sampler packs. I've seen them on amazonian for like $50, and range in variety of types of coffee/tea's. My first cup of coffee I drank was when I was employed at Starbucks many moons ago, so unfortunately, I am one of "those guys". I prefer a Sumatra blend. Haven't gotten my hands on some crazy good stuff here in backwoods Arkansas. But the point to that, is everyone is going to have a different experience. Maybe you can get some of the Java's coffee's and set it up in the K-cup thing?

I own just about every other coffee maker out there it seems. A variety of real espresso machines. You know, ones with tanks, and pressure and what not. Those are for family that come by and want something "fancy". Otherwise the wife uses the Tassimo, or Keurig. Its easy for her.

I agree with everyone else though. Once you save up and can spend the $20 on a french press, you'll never want anything else. The first time you see oil's in your cup, and then taste them, holy crap its awesome....... Completely different experience.

-Chrisso

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
french press
burr grinder
home made blend =
best coffee you ever had...............

I blend two or three different types of beans,different roasts,or all of these.Try a city roast with a dark roast,add a little light roast,experiment with regions geographically.African beans roasted dark really can produce some amazing flavors,Indian beans can be earthy and spicy,indonesian can be dry on the finish and fruity.Peru ,Honduras,Costa Rica,Brazil,all can have nutty flavors beside citrus and chocolate.Always something new when you blend............

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive got 2 options in my house...

for a quick, "ok" cup... that I require as I scramble out the door.. I run the dredded keurig....

for anything "good".. I have a simple french press that I use.. which pretty much gets run daily...

there truly is a HUGE difference in the two..

I've "experimented" with the little load your own basket/k-cups... put really excellent coffee in there.. and then tried it side by side with a cup made from the same bean/batch that was run through the french press (done this several times with several different coffees)...

there is no comparison... the $19 french press beats the snot out of the $199 keurig B70 platinum... every.. single.. time....
I have to agree with your comment as a converted 50 years of drinking coffee man....I've pretty much had every kind and style of coffee there is and I travel all over the world trying different coffees as well. Sometimes the adage of KISS ( keep it simple stupid ) rings true. I have been FP'ing for a few years now and it's pretty much the only way I'll drink coffee and even when I travel I bring my equipment with me...right down to the manual burr grinder which I now use 90% of the time.

I've used the Keurig before when I am waiting to have new tires put on my cars and they have this machine there....it's pretty good and I think what makes it good is the variety of coffees one can try. It doesn't heat the water like it should ( use a kettle to get the water to boiling is my advice ) and that affects taste. As far as which is the best coffee....only the person drinking it can make that assumption. It's like trying to tell others what the best cigar is. Coffee is now another vice/hobby for me as I try a lot of different coffees around the world and when I hit one that really impresses me it's just an AHA moment....then I grab a good cigar and cement the taste of the coffee with the cigar and where I'm enjoying it...that's happiness my friends.

Spread your wings and try different coffees from different areas....places like those that are mentioned along with places local to you...Trader Joes, Whole Foods tend to have a lot of different coffees available and when it comes to "De Caf" coffees that people say aren't good...that's an old wives tale. I'd love to test that theory with those who say de caf isn't any good and have them taste test some brands I've come across. I've actually done this with friends who say de caf sucks...put fresh FP coffee in front of them and they thought they were drinking some of the best coffee of their lives only to learn it was de caf.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
french press
burr grinder
home made blend =
best coffee you ever had...............

I blend two or three different types of beans,different roasts,or all of these.Try a city roast with a dark roast,add a little light roast,experiment with regions geographically.African beans roasted dark really can produce some amazing flavors,Indian beans can be earthy and spicy,indonesian can be dry on the finish and fruity.Peru ,Honduras,Costa Rica,Brazil,all can have nutty flavors beside citrus and chocolate.Always something new when you blend............
Very true. Part of the allure for me as well. So many variables that you can control & experiment with.

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm def going to look into a French press. Sounds like it's a great place to invest as a start point and with time I can work on perfecting what I find to enjoy.

Thanks again guys.

-NYSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk