What's new

assistance with a coffee

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm def going to look into a French press. Sounds like it's a great place to invest as a start point and with time I can work on perfecting what I find to enjoy.

Thanks again guys.

-NYSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
french press and a good bur grinder - all you need :D
This! French Press makes the best coffee in my opinion. Just make sure you watch a YouTube or two. Steeping is a must. ;)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have just recently found the best coffee I've ever had man... I don't know how far you want to go with it but the cush is an experience! Check out www.cushcoffee.com or baristaonduty on IG he will hook you up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I see you brother!

I use two methods and two only. For a single cup, pour over is by far my preferred method. French press lends to a tepid 'muddy' cup. The Hario v60 works like a dream. For more than one cup, the Cona vacuum pot showcases the bean better than anything I have tried. It's tricky to use though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plainly you nailed it. Pour over ftw. Aeropress is a good alternative, burr grinder a must for all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"French press lends to a tepid 'muddy' cup"

It's tepid if you wait too long to drink it..

It's muddy if you grind too fine..........

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
For my espresso, I know it's not a quick cup, I like to still make it stove top with my Bialetti Moka. You may want to look into the AeroPress. A bit quicker than the french press and it's cheaper. Makes just as good a cup as a french press.
http://www.aeropress.com/
Probably can get it cheaper on Amazon

As far as the "k" cup try this;
If you have a Keurig that you can choose the cup size use espresso in the refillable k up and brew on the 12 oz or 16 oz cup size depending on your Keurig machine.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"French press lends to a tepid 'muddy' cup"

It's tepid if you wait too long to drink it..

It's muddy if you grind too fine..........
You've actually brought up some very good points here since a lot of us love FP coffee. The "book" calls for at least 4 minutes of steeping which sometimes can cause the heated water to start cooling off too soon. I use a kettle that heats the water til it boils.... not sure what temp it is but it's hot enough. What we don't want to have happen is that the water is so hot it actually ruins the taste of the coffee and water can be heated to around 212 degrees before it turns into steam. I like hot but that's just ridiculously hot to even think that coffee at 200 degrees is going to be tasty.

4 minutes is not going to let your coffee become tepid and as far as it being "muddy" that only happens if your grind is set too fine. A good FP will keep your grinds minimal and your filter needs to be very fine...I actually have a filter I put over my cup and pour my FP coffee through and there is just the slightest bit of residue left.

The "fine art" of FP'ing is just experience and time to know how to make the perfect cup for you....stir the course grinds with a wood stick and let it mingle and then put the filter over it and let steep for a good 4 minutes and voila'....you have yourself the best tasting coffee. Your own tastes will guide you as far as how much course grounds to use.