What's new

Bad News

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So I have been on unemployment for the last year after being laid off. The most recent unemployment questionnaire had the second week blocked out, so I freaked out and called the 800 number for EDD.

After literally hours on hold, I was told that I was mailed two letters at the beginning of November: One explained my benefits extension through October, 2011…It detailed the dollar amount per week, start date, end date, total amount, etc. When I received this first letter, I thought it meant that my benefits HAD been extended through October 2011.

The second letter (which I never received) explained that an extension explained in the first letter had NOT been granted.

So basically after believing that I would have this money coming in, I just learned that this next check is my LAST. Period.

After speaking with an EDD representative I learned that “thousands of people had also misunderstood the first letter”. It made me feel a bit better that I wasn’t a complete idiot, but it still leaves me in a terrible situation very suddenly. AND right before Christmas.

I have been spending untold, tireless hours over the past year diligently looking for work….Sending out resumes, routinely checking various jobsites, receiving email alerts through Monster (and countless others), rekindling old work contacts, networking through Facebook, (et al) and doing everything I can to find work.

I have filled in here and there as a day laborer for a friend who is a general contractor…I have even been working as the neighbor’s gardener to create some income.

I have a few prospects; one being the Disney opportunity (that I had posted a month or so ago) and another possibility of a friend of a friend.

While I have my Faith that everything will be okay, I am also faced with the very harsh realities that come with this loss of income, including our home.

I hate to ask, but please be so kind as to send Prayers and good thoughts to me and my family….Either would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about this brother. I hope that you can find something soon.

Have you ever thought about CNA work? It's hard, it's dirty, and it's terribly underpaid, but the program I took was only 5 weeks and finding work and hours is not hard at all. Not a great option, but it's something at least and may be able to hold you over until you can find a better gig.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I'm so sorry to hear about this brother. I hope that you can find something soon.

Have you ever thought about CNA work? It's hard, it's dirty, and it's terribly underpaid, but the program I took was only 5 weeks and finding work and hours is not hard at all. Not a great option, but it's something at least and may be able to hold you over until you can find a better gig.
Thanks for the kind words. What is CNA?

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Certified nurses assistant. There is also the thought of sub teacher. Most schools are under all that no child left behind crap and have to go to trainings etc that require subs to cover classes. I don't know about other states but here in Hawaii subs are always in demand. It's not a job necessarily as a career but good side money to hold you over till you find a job. Lots of firemen do it here on their day off to make extra money too.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So I have been on unemployment for the last year after being laid off. The most recent unemployment questionnaire had the second week blocked out, so I freaked out and called the 800 number for EDD.

After literally hours on hold, I was told that I was mailed two letters at the beginning of November: One explained my benefits extension through October, 2011…It detailed the dollar amount per week, start date, end date, total amount, etc. When I received this first letter, I thought it meant that my benefits HAD been extended through October 2011.

The second letter (which I never received) explained that an extension explained in the first letter had NOT been granted.

So basically after believing that I would have this money coming in, I just learned that this next check is my LAST. Period.

After speaking with an EDD representative I learned that “thousands of people had also misunderstood the first letter”. It made me feel a bit better that I wasn’t a complete idiot, but it still leaves me in a terrible situation very suddenly. AND right before Christmas.

I have been spending untold, tireless hours over the past year diligently looking for work….Sending out resumes, routinely checking various jobsites, receiving email alerts through Monster (and countless others), rekindling old work contacts, networking through Facebook, (et al) and doing everything I can to find work.

I have filled in here and there as a day laborer for a friend who is a general contractor…I have even been working as the neighbor’s gardener to create some income.

I have a few prospects; one being the Disney opportunity (that I had posted a month or so ago) and another possibility of a friend of a friend.

While I have my Faith that everything will be okay, I am also faced with the very harsh realities that come with this loss of income, including our home.

I hate to ask, but please be so kind as to send Prayers and good thoughts to me and my family….Either would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
Dang man. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Certified nurses assistant.
This^^

I work in the sub-acute wing at a nursing home/rehabilitation and therapy center, though there are in-home care possibilities and hospital positions. It's quite literally the dirty part of the medical field, but that's why there is always work. If you want to talk a bit more about it you can send me a PM and I'd be happy to tell you what I can.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
This^^

I work in the sub-acute wing at a nursing home/rehabilitation and therapy center, though there are in-home care possibilities and hospital positions. It's quite literally the dirty part of the medical field, but that's why there is always work. If you want to talk a bit more about it you can send me a PM and I'd be happy to tell you what I can.
PM sent...Thank you :)

Anything sounds good right now. My sister is a Nurse Practitioner...Perhaps she can help me (?)

Thank you

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry to hear about your bad times, chin up brother. I know everything will work out for you in the end.