What's new

Bargain rye?

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Who said Rittenhouse?!! Great bargain for the quality, IMO.
I also like the Bulleit, which is a bit more herbal/drier than Rittenhouse, in the same price range. Agree that it works well in cocktails... Sub it for the Scotch in a Penicillin and use a drop of smoked whisky (or absinthe, if you're a Sazerac cocktail fan) in lieu of the Islay rinse.
Stepping up a few bucks, High West Double Rye is a favorite (MGP sourced like most small label ryes these days), and I've been enjoying the Pikesville 110pf, since @AlohaStyle recommended that to me, as well.

Edit: That sucks about the pricing - cheap rye is tough. Try subbing it out for Very Old Barton 100pf bourbon, if you see it. Pretty dry, as far as bourbons go, so it's not gonna mess up your flavor balance too terribly much and it's cheap, cheap, cheap. Especially if you can find it in 1.75.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the Crown Royal. It was under 30 bucks in PA. wasn't very popular here, but it wasn't advertised at all.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't remember how much but Sazerac Rye might worth a shot to try too. I picked up a bottle at the liquor store in Costco back in July. I want to say it was $30???? I do know it wasn't too expensive. Of course, that was a few months ago, so the prices might be different now.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I don't remember how much but Sazerac Rye might worth a shot to try too. I picked up a bottle at the liquor store in Costco back in July. I want to say it was $30???? I do know it wasn't too expensive. Of course, that was a few months ago, so the prices might be different now.
Usually is hard to find actually

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Really!!??? A few places locally carry it. Maybe just doesn't sell well here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very rare to find it by me. I stock up when I see it. . . Otherwise I stick to Rittenhouse. The new Pikeville is quite good but almost double the price, and at that point - just get high west redevous rye

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Very rare to find it by me. I stock up when I see it. . . Otherwise I stick to Rittenhouse. The new Pikeville is quite good but almost double the price, and at that point - just get high west redevous rye

Wow. Well, I guess it's good to know. I haven't opened the bottle yet. Still trying to work on polishing off others first. Might have to put away some funds for a few more bottles if I enjoy it that much.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Wow. Well, I guess it's good to know. I haven't opened the bottle yet. Still trying to work on polishing off others first. Might have to put away some funds for a few more bottles if I enjoy it that much.

For the price, it is hard to beat

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
For the price, it is hard to beat

That is true!! I went to a bourbon festival and had some I was hooked. So I tried to write down some of the bourbon's that were really good and to look for at the liquor stores.

If I recall, they had the old forester birthday bourbon also!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tried Knob Creek Rye. Really impressed me. Not a huge fan of the bourbon but the rye could be a go-to for sure.