What's new

Bead Containers

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, so what's everyone keep their beads in?

Obviously the tubes from Viper are one option, and I've heard that alot of people use panty hose. What else? Reasons for one thing over another?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my container of choice is the pool sock. Its a sock that you add to a pool filter to help keep it clean. Works great.

The reason I use it is because I have convinced myself that it provides a greater surface area of beads exposed to direct air.

I have also used many different types of plastic container. They all work.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm currently using canning (mason) jars. I've been wanting to try the panty hose but at the moment I don't have a SO and can't quite bring myself to browse the ladies undergarment aisle at the local Walmart.
Right now the jars are just open at the top but I want to find some netting to put under the screw on ring that would keep the beads in if it were to tip over.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have used kitchen canisters that had holes in the lid. I guess like a grated cheese shaker. But I do know that the beads work best with more surface area exposed.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Right now I'm using the Gladware 1/2 cup containers.

Hard to explain unless you are looking at one, but they have some very easy to remove with a razor blade "flutes" in the lids. A LB fit in 4 and a half of these. You get 8 for about $2.50.

Working well so far.

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
panty hose. I heard of someone making tubes out of mosquito netting. but I don't know what that person was using for the caps on the ends.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I came across these bags the other day when I was looking for some supplies for my fish tank. I haven't used the beads yet so I don't know how these would work. They are media bags to hold various filtering media for fish tanks. Take a look and see what you think. Might hold the beads also, I don't know know why not.

Media Bags

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I cracked open the plastic container that came with my Vicksburg and removed the floral foam and filled some pantyhose with beads and snapped it back shut. Plenty of beads fit, and plenty of surface area is created. I used pantyhose to contain the small particles that can result from the absorption and the evaporation.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Garnivore said:
I came across these bags the other day when I was looking for some supplies for my fish tank. I haven't used the beads yet so I don't know how these would work. They are media bags to hold various filtering media for fish tanks. Take a look and see what you think. Might hold the beads also, I don't know know why not.

Media Bags
These work very well for the beads. Any aquarium supply would have them.

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
wasch_24 said:
I cracked open the plastic container that came with my Vicksburg and removed the floral foam and filled some pantyhose with beads and snapped it back shut. Plenty of beads fit, and plenty of surface area is created. I used pantyhose to contain the small particles that can result from the absorption and the evaporation.
Hmm, I never thought to use this as a container....In theory it's not a bad idea at all. How long have to you had it like this and have you noticed any additional maintanence needs etc over the normal occassional bead touch up etc. Bottom line, how is it working so far?:smt025

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I just got the Vicksburg in December, around the 5th, and it was in my wife's closet seasoning until Christmas (she wouldn't let me see or touch it until Christmas day). I would say, IIRC, that I had her put that in the humi, while empty, after it reached a suitable level of humidity for a few days around the 18th of December and I have only added about 25ml of water to it since then. I don't think I even needed to do that but I can't help but tinker with things. When I put it in the humi the RH inside was around 78% and within a few days the beads dropped it to 65% and it hasn't changed since.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In my coolerdor I use a cople of tupperware sandwich containers. I cut the middle out of the lid (leaving the lip) and sandwich a piece of fiberglass window screen in there. Have two with appx 3/4lb in a 150qt cooler and it stays rock solid at 65%....In my daily dor (one of those Thompson 5 drawer deals) I just lined one side of a drawer with tinfoil and filled that with appx 1/4lb beads

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm using a couple of different things. S/O will bring home one of those floral/scented things for your drawer from Victoria's Secret every so often and they package it up in a small drawstring mesh bag (looks very similar to the aqua bags above except it looks more like nylon/pantyhose and is colored). Lays nice and flat with good surface area. I've also taken an empty tube from a cigar (like a Boli or Punch tubo) and placed it inside part of a nylon/pantyhose, then placed the beads around the tube. The tube lets you pull the nylon/pantyhose a little tighter and the beads distribute pretty evenly around the outside of the tube (increases porosity as just a pantyhose bag seemed to bunch up the beads).

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmm...Beads are going to be replacing the humidifier that looks like the picture you posted Wasch, might just do the same thing...
Either that or I'll just fill a media bag or pantyhose with it and stuff it in the cedar container that is made for the humidifier.

Seriously, are you guys that afraid of walking into a store and buying a thing of hose? :lol: I've done it multiple times in my life, either for the SO, or when I was in ROTC for use in shining shoes.

mike toro

neophyte Bolivar acolyte
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
panty hose. I heard of someone making tubes out of mosquito netting. but I don't know what that person was using for the caps on the ends.
I'm going the mosquito net route, simply because panty hose tends to stretch and ripe over time. After 3 months with six .25 lb. panty hose bags of beads, several have developed "runs" and whenever I move them the smaller beads pop out and make a mess.

I'm making tubes out of mosquito screen and am thinking of using old wine corks for the ends, attached with a healthy amount of silicone, but all said, another R&D trip to HD is needed. I want them very thin tubes (small in diameter), with great exposure, that run 14" long –– the depth of my wine-cooler.

When I get a final design and build a few I'll update.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I saw a post on CW where a fellow made a wood box to keep his beads in. It struck me that I can probably make a thin lid mount box of spanish cedar and some nice 1/8" plywood. Line it with some paint strainer material and voila! As little water as the beads take, I'll bet it never even touches the wood. And I can custom fit them to the humidor. I'll have to make one to test.