What's new

Bead Containers

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had kind of a half-ass setup in my large glass-top using Nintendo cases. Yesterday I made this:

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/xrundog/Cedar-humi-bead-humidifier

It measures 6.5" X 2.75" X 1" thick. Almost 1/2 lb. of beads in there. I squirted two 3 ml syringes of distilled water in the holes in the back. The water never reached the wood. Paint strainer material keeps the beads in. I will have to see what happens over time of course. Very do-able for the home wood hobbyist.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's cool, looks just about perfect for my glass top. Right now I'm using a few of the tubes (one from Viper and two old drymistat tubes) and everything else is in pantyhose.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
In this humidor ....

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/SmokinAFuente/2nd-Annual-Hurricane-Hurf/2nd_Annual_Hurricane_Hurf_057

.......I have two of the travel soap dishes (one for each side). There about $.50 each and all I had to do was drill about 8 holes in each lid. Each dish holds about 1/4 lb of 65% beads. Here are some pics.

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/SmokinAFuente/2nd-Annual-Hurricane-Hurf/humidorBeads_001

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/SmokinAFuente/2nd-Annual-Hurricane-Hurf/humidorBeads_010

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Very nice! I love that humidor. I hadn't even thought of this and I even have a spare soap container just sitting around that I bought for use with floral foam and never used. By the way, I like what you've stocked that door with!:smt007

chinaboy

hm...yes..okay..sure..
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took out the humidifer. put a ziplock bag as lining for the wooden holder. put the beads in there.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Can't see the front clearly, but that looks exactly like the humi I have Mike. Does it have two stripes down the front? Actually, yours looks somewhat deeper than mine.

I think I like your idea better than the panty hose full of beads I currently have stuffed in my holder. I might just try to find something to line that holder with though...we'll see...

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
Jwrussell said:
Very nice! I love that humidor. I hadn't even thought of this and I even have a spare soap container just sitting around that I bought for use with floral foam and never used. By the way, I like what you've stocked that door with!:smt007

Thanks man! I won the humidor and the box of the Sambas in the 1st pic at the "2nd Annual Hurricane Hurf" in Sep.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have 2 different containers in the works. I will post the info here as soon as they are done.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Awww crap, something else to buy from Viper! ;)

I went with the travel soap container with holes drilled in it, but I'd be interested in seeing what you have coming out. I'd like something a little nicer looking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulse said:
Hmm, I never thought to use this as a container....In theory it's not a bad idea at all. How long have to you had it like this and have you noticed any additional maintanence needs etc over the normal occassional bead touch up etc. Bottom line, how is it working so far?:smt025
I also convert my floral foam humidifiers into bead boxes with the pantyhose. They work FANTASTIC!

I also use my empty coffin boxes without the lids. Those work good too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viper139 said:
I have 2 different containers in the works. I will post the info here as soon as they are done.
I look forward to seeing them - I'm hoping you'll have a drop-in, turn-key replacement for the rectangular black plastic humidifiers that are so popular as most humidors have a special place or two for those units. . .

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
my pantyhose problem is this:

when I put a tsp. of dist water in the pouch, there's always a little hissing, etc, which I know is from bead cracking, etc.

For some reason, i guess from this repeated process, the panty hose lets some dust out in the humi. No big deal, but if you blow on it to get it out of the bottom corner, make sure and close your eyes first.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rush said:
I look forward to seeing them - I'm hoping you'll have a drop-in, turn-key replacement for the rectangular black plastic humidifiers that are so popular as most humidors have a special place or two for those units. . .
That is one of 'em.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
When you apply the distilled water use a spray bottle, get it at any supermarket, and spray the beads instead. They will fracture much less if at all.