What's new

Beer O da day!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Last night at the Tap House I tried a couple news ones:

Pipeworks Donut Soup Stout (10.5% ABV) - very heavy and chocolatey, reminded me of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout with a hint of vanilla.

Bell's Cherry Stout (7% ABV) - much lighter and not super sweet, just the slightest hint of cherry.

I don't think I'd order either one again unless I had limited options.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Tom, reading your description had my mouth watering.
Is it the alcohol content, sweetness or over flavoring that makes it disagreeable?... I'm definitely not a high ABV guy.
* Sure hope Total Wine carries this.
For me it was a lot about the texture. it had a very syrupy mouthfeel. I looked at some Beer Advocate reviews after I posted here, and people seem to think the Vanilla and Cinnamon are prominent while the chocolate is light. I couldn't disagree more, it tasted like a melted Hershey bar, consistency and all. Ok, maybe I am remembering it too unkindly. :LOL:

If you've ever had the Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout and liked it, then you might like this. I only drink the SS at one bar (near a concert venue) that we hit a few times a year. I could seriously take it or leave it. Sorry you asked? LOL

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Yes, very sorry indeed.
Guess I'll pass (syrupy is not a descriptor I look for in any drink). Could be a carbonation issue?
Funny, Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is my all time favorite. Though, I've never had their OCS.
I appreciate the warning.

Attachments