What's new

Best "Short Filler" Cigar Ever?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This thread delivers. I was going to type a lengthy response, instead I will just say thanks JDrew for the laughs and I am excited to try the cigar and form my own opinion.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
now that i have had my days laugh, i can finally log off for the day...who am i kidding, thats not going to happen. Thanks JD for taking peoples words with a grain of salt, not everyone claims they know more than the experts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to repost some thing from BrandonP on page 9.

"I want to say this: Props to JD, Saka, Marvin, and crew for having the balls to keep taking chances like they have from day one and even bigger props for being honest about what this cigar is."

This is a pic of a very old DE cigar. This band alone was very risque at the time of its release. Cigars are a very tradition based consumer product. For those of us who respect the difference that Drew Estate brings to the industry, we find pride in supporting this company. To compare DE to Apple and the malarky of Steve Jobs is bullshit. Keep in mind you call us "fan boys" all you want but that's just your opinion, and that's where it stops. If people want to act like haters in high school, so be it. I appreciate the open communication between DE and its consumers, who else does this? Like the idea of PF or not why be a hater?
Haha. I actually smoked an Industrial Press earlier this year!

uploadfromtaptalk1344566698507.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1344566765147.jpg

I will preface this by saying I love DE stuff and I buy my fair share of liga and even smoke some infused. I smoked a PF two days ago. I didn't have good luck, it was terribly bitter and cigar people complained of the acrid smell. Got it at the BOTL Herf. Hopefully the ones that land in shops will be closer to what I expected.

uploadfromtaptalk1344566843578.jpg

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Oh wow, lol. I can't stop laughing at JD's post mentioning those other reviews. Maybe the guy works for Altadis? Or maybe he just has his own tastes, which is totally fine. But I do snicker when I hear people talk so authoritatively on how the cigar industry and manufacturing "really works" when the are clearly just making it up.

BTW, Greek yogurt is delicious and nutritious (no gay). don't be a hater, lol!

--Nate

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I don't see the reason behind pretending that cigar manufacturing is some kind of closed-rank society
This statement is so far from the truth. Try visiting the factories. I have been to Nicaragua 3 times, and have visited Padron, Drew Estate, Joya De Nicaragua, My Father, and a few others, and they do not hesitate to show you every aspect of every part of their process. They have nothing to hide, and are very open about their products.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I almost spit coffee all over my monitor, this thread just keeps on giving. Thanks JD, rock on with your bad self. Now excuse me, I have to go search for more of those cigar reviews and labor/tobacco cost theories.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
buy one
try one
like it, buy more
don't like it, don't buy more

stop trying to impress people with your vast knowledge. no one is as smart as they think they are. continuing to post only points this out.
smoke what you like and enjoy the moment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATLRUS.

Thank you for your compliment (kudos) for staying in touch with our customers. Really appreciate it. :) And thank you as well in regard to your Google Expertise. Look bro, I made the mistake one time of getting into a whole shit with someone on the board.

(not going to quote the whole thing)
LOL, thanks for digging and finding out 2 reviews from 5 years ago, it shows that you care (and I actually mean this). And even though I am aware that taste changes over half a decade - I still consider Monte White one of the best mild cigars, and I still don't like Tatuaje, even though the construction issues have been almost non existent since. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, and that's why I said that taste is subjective and I never mentioned the taste of the French Fry in my posts. See, this shows that I smoke cigars for my personal enjoyment, not to please a certain crowd.

And I don't understand why you of all people would actually try to use this against me. After all, did you forget that you are the one making Acid "cigars"?!?

Which tobacco brokers are you in discussions with and how do you know what we pay our employees or if we have medical plans for them or full life insurance for every single one of them or free bus systems or build houses for them or whatever.
I was talking about tobacco brokers like Oliva. It may not give me the exact price of what you pay, but I will get the ballpark.
And as far as your employees, it's commendable that you have health facilities on site and that you opt to pay the pennies extra a month for a life insurance. But in the grand scheme of things - it really doesn't add that much to the bottom line. I would buy this if you were talking about Miami rollers and paying US health care and insurance costs, not Nicaraguan. Maybe you should consider moving your factory to the US and employing Americans? After all, it would only be fair that you give your countrymen (and biggest market) the first shot at all those benefits Nicaraguans enjoy? A lot of companies (including Tatuaje) roll in Miami, so it must be doable.

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I am really curious what your point is here altrus, most cigars are produced outside of the USA(including your beloved Monte White's) and only some of the Tatuaje's are made in Miami with even some of the newer brown labels shifting to Nicaragua for production. It's nice of you to come in after being a member here for over 4 years to go after a respected manufacturer and solid botl on top of that, that is not what botl is about. Suggesting you think he is gouging customers, criticizing his Acid cigars(not sure what the point of that was) and suggesting how he should run his business? I think he is doing ok without your vast knowledge of the industry. Next time you feel the need to contribute this type of worthless dribble in a thread, just hit the back button.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just read through all of this, :wtf:. Think im gonna go light up a Papas Fritas and enjoy the hell out of it!:cbig:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Goodness! Reading through all this had me wondering a few things, but they were eventually answered. The first thing i wondered was "what DOES altrus like, then and why? " well now we all know.... Sorta explains the whole thing.

Jd and ss, keep doing what you are doing. It works for you and it works for most of us.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Absolutely amazing, this thread is. If you don't like the idea of the papas fritas, then move on. It'll leave more for the rest of us. As far as i know, Drew Estate is very active in Esteli with the locals. They genuinely care for their employees and wants what is best for Esteli. They also do a TON of charity events, which I really don't see many other cigar manufacturers doing (Fuente is the only other that comes to mind). One thing I love about Drew Estate, and JD, is that they are unique, different, ORIGINAL. I've not had the pleasure yet to meet JD or any of the DE crew, but I have mad respect for them. I mean, come on, just look at the photos, videos, and posts of/from JD! The guy is awesome. And the fact that Steve Saka AND JD posted on this forum shows how great they really are. How many other cigar manufacturers take time out of their busy day to be involved with BOTL?

Yeah, Acids aren't liked by many of the guys on here (including me), but I can't tell you how many people I see buying them. Do I talk them out of it? NO! I honestly think the Acid line, along with all the rest of the infused premium cigars that DE makes, are quite remarkable in the cigar industry. There are many things I don't agree with with Pete Johnson and I feel that all of his smokes nowadays are released too soon and need at least a year of rest, but I don't make a big deal about it. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy tats, but my love for them is diminishing.

Price of tobacco leaves. I know there has been quite a shortage for the tobacco used in ligas. Not to mention, they are some of the thickest, juiciest, high quality tobacco I've seen in/on a cigar. I was very fortunate enough to get a few BHKs when I was living in Canada, and I must say that I think ligas have better construction (yes, the BHK's were REAL)! In my humidor, the ligas look the nicest, besides when the oils stain my spanish cedar. I do know that DE uses the very best tobaccos for their liga lines, and this means that there is a lot of rejected pieces of tobacco. I've only had one problem with a liga and it was a heavily cracked FFP. So I posted on BOTL, and guess what, JD took care of it and sent me a new one. This drives costs up. And lastly, Drew Estate, with all other companies, need to make PROFIT! JD is always traveling, leaving his wife, dogs (and kids?) at home. This must be very hard. I mean, he was just at IPCPR and next week, he'll be in Colorado doing 9-10 events (almost everyday, and some days, two events). I don't care how much you love your job, money is what pushes you to do things like this. So, I rather pay a little extra to see my money going to someone who will take the time out of their day to post on BOTL, be active with all his/her fans, and give up a lot of their time with family and loved ones to be involved with customers and fans.

bottom lines: 1. Just like Padron's slogan, I know that when the words "liga privada" are on the packaging, that it'll be superb quality, even if trimmings. 2. If you don't agree with what DE is doing, then move on. Leave more for the rest of us. Don't judge a cigar by it's composition. Smoke it and then decide upon what you think.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: sorry guys for the long post.... geez!