What's new

Best "Short Filler" Cigar Ever?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I am really curious what your point is here altrus, most cigars are produced outside of the USA(including your beloved Monte White's) and only some of the Tatuaje's are made in Miami with even some of the newer brown labels shifting to Nicaragua for production. It's nice of you to come in after being a member here for over 4 years to go after a respected manufacturer and solid botl on top of that, that is not what botl is about. Suggesting you think he is gouging customers, criticizing his Acid cigars(not sure what the point of that was) and suggesting how he should run his business? I think he is doing ok without your vast knowledge of the industry. Next time you feel the need to contribute this type of worthless dribble in a thread, just hit the back button.
^^^^^ What he said.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to keep poking a stick into this beehive...

The purchase price of tobacco is IRRELEVANT - it all comes down to the desired sort, shrinkage, yield and index - for example $24.95 p/lb is a common current price for CTBL No. 1 Darks, however once we select out what we want to use on LP, ferment and age it as desired, the true cost of the selected leaf ends up being well over $55 p/lb. It takes about 23lbs of said leaf to make 1,000 toros - hence the cost per cigar is about $1.27 just for the wrapper. Somedays it is higher, other days it is lower... everything depends on the leaf.

Just knowing the price of raw tobacco don't mean jack. Or labor or anything really. What is important is knowing how to make consistently the cigar you desire to make day in and day out ... and running a factory with 1,200+ employees is a little different than writing about it.

The bottom-line is some folk will love what we do, while others will hate on us for it... it is what it is. <shrug>

Steve Saka
CEO, Drew Estate, Inc.
"Boycott the Evil Liga Privada Company!"

ps: To the guy who wrote that Papas Fritas are "acrid" - he is right, they are pretty spicy and pungent - they are blended with the intent of delivering a lot of zip in a small format, I would never consider them a refined or balanced blend and they definitely will NOT appeal to every smoker. They were never intended too.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
For anybody who watches the Philip DeFranco show, I think we should nominate JD an Steve as the "BAMFs of the Day".

Keep up the good work fellas!

On the topic of the cigars, by "zip" - do you mean spice/flavor/etc? Or more referencing strength of nicotine?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the topic of the cigars, by "zip" - do you mean spice/flavor/etc? Or more referencing strength of nicotine?
In this case I meant a spiciness that tends to be a tad sharper than other LPs... it is kind of like the Dirty Rat, just not as sophisticated imo.

STS
CEO, DE
'Doublin' Down on my Acronyms"

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Please, stop stroking this guys ego by "debating" with him... clearly that's what people like him like to do. Move on people. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I know... but damn, gotta spoil all the fun... <snicker>

STS
'I promise to stop posting on this thread... until the next post"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps: To the guy who wrote that Papas Fritas are "acrid" - he is right, they are pretty spicy and pungent - they are blended with the intent of delivering a lot of zip in a small format, I would never consider them a refined or balanced blend and they definitely will NOT appeal to every smoker. They were never intended too.
Steve,

It was I who said that, but not about the flavor. The particular stick I had (which I choose to believe is an anomaly) gave off smoke that was described by the other hard core cigar geeks in the lounge as offensive and acrid.

I don't doubt that the cigar as it is intended to taste is a wonderful potent spicy bomb. Like I said, both I and the folks who commented on the smoke are long time Liga smokers and we know what a room full of Liga smoke is like.

This wasn't that.

Regardless, I plan to buy all the PF I can get my hands on. Keep up the good work!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
AtlRus.

Thank you for your post back. This will be my last communication with you in a forum setting, unless i must. If you ever wish to speak in the future, my door is always open.

Arguing with you about your one supposed conversation with the Oliva Growing Family is ridiculous. I speak with these people every two days. You spout hate on every forum that you have ever been on, all 100 of them. You put people down from webmasters to bodybuilders to Cigar Aficionado forum people who don't conform to your views.

You see, you can get away with that in other places, but not here. This BOTL forum is about friendship and brotherhood, not "know-it-alls" who get off on putting other brothers down with incorrect facts and lies. You don't have to love anyone's cigars, but be pleasant and stop the misinformation.

Stick with the CA forum, brother. YOU personally have a rich history of egotism there that you should continue to build your legacy.

And also, don't pop that Anti American Jobs Bullshit to me. Don't tell me where Pete Johnson or Pepin roll their cigars. Don't tell me nothing unless you come correct. Bring passion, love of the leaf, and brotherhood here. Nicaragua has a rich culture of growing, curing and rolling tobacco. I am blessed to be part of it and wouldn't change that for any reason.

Now go smoke your Monte White and call Johnny Oliva. He is awaiting your call, as is the Minister of Zona Franca in Nicaragua.

JD

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I just said it "wasn't in my wheelhouse" :) But I still LOVE ME some #9 Corona Dobles and 52 Toros. Let everyone experiance the nirvana that is a 3 yr old T52 lol. With some of the frustration in this thread this should make ya happy :)

Last edited:

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Wow, I wondered why this thread was getting so long, people love to always put their .02 in. So, here's mine. Why the tin? Why not wrap in paper like Origen? I'm sure it is marketing, as to differentiate, and thus charge more. Are these going to be bundled and sold in cabs of 50 like, say the Tatuaje petite cazadores reserva? And, if so, would they still be $300?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
It's just what they felt like packaging it in, B. It is what it is, buy it or grab something else you like. It's just a freaking cigar....