What's new

Best value inexpensive shotguns

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Check the used rack for:
Mossberg 500
Remington 1100
Winchester 1300

all fine, common shotguns that are reasonably priced and suitable for hunting.
+1 on the Winchester 1300. Smoothest/fastest action I've felt on a pump. But you really can't go wrong with any of these 3.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I couldnt agree more on the Cbid and wineador. I am looking for an upland game bird mostly pheasants but still able to get the job done with turkeys. I had an 870 and it was regularly jammed on ejection I got so I could take it apart pretty quick and back together in no time. No apparent reason for the jams and a couple of gunsmiths couldnt figure it out.
I own a few 870's and they are the one that always goes boom!! You may have had a lemon in your previous expereince, i've never had any issues with mine. If your looking for a little better finish check out the 870 Wingmaster. Otherwise like @mwlabel said the 1100 or the 11-87. Both a great Semi-Auto shotguns at a fair price if you can get them used. I have an 11-87 that has become my dedicated deer gun that is a tack driver. Never had any issues with it. good luck.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I keep a 12 ga. High Standard Flite King in my house.
A neighbor gave it to me a few years back. He told me had no more use for it, and wanted me to have it.
Turns out his wife was cheating on him, so I think there were ulterior motives. Like avoiding some potential charges.
I'm planning on replacing the barrel with an 18.5" one and getting a stock mod as well.
No need for a long barrel in the home, right!?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Harrison & Richards Partner in 12ga. It's a six shot pump. Nothing fancy, just plain and simple, easy to use and built like a tank, for around $200
We have two, they are smooth and positive, no jams or failures of any kind!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You guys are making me rethink my distaste for the 870. Is there a difference besides the stock in a wingmaster and and express?
I've always heard there is an issue with Winchesters shells, and mine gets hung up on them when trying to eject. Feed it anything and everything else and she works perfectly.

As for the stocks... I could be mistaken, My express is a synthetic stock, the wingmaster i believe is wood. Someone correct me if I am wrong

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You guys are making me rethink my distaste for the 870. Is there a difference besides the stock in a wingmaster and and express?
Not sure, I'm not big into shotguns.
Try to find an older 870 if you can. They run like hell. More recent ones are of lesser quality thanks to the "new" Remington.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
+1 on the Winchester 1300. Smoothest/fastest action I've felt on a pump. But you really can't go wrong with any of these 3.
you want smooth and fast in a pump.. find an old school Ithaca Model 37.. there is nothing better in those categories...

It lacks all the aftermarket add on capabilities that youll find for mossberg, remmington, and winchester products.. and can be a bit more pricy due to lack of availability, etc..

but.. if what you want is an action as smooth as a babys butt... and the fastest possible cycle available in a pump.. the Ithaca cant be beat..

I used to run circles around guys doing multiple target engagements that were using Benelli M1's, M4's, and Rem 1100 auto loaders.. itthe 37 is an incredibly fast platform.. that is light, points naturally, etc.. but if you want to hang all sorts of tacticool shit off of it.. (even just a light).. its going to be harder to deal with than other previously recommended shotguns..

If we're talking a "multi-purpose" shotgun.. something that needs to fill home defense as well as hunting and/or other roles (trap/skeet, play, etc..)... its going to be hard to beat a Rem 870 or a Mossy 500... a quick barrel swap and you can take either of those guns from "combat" mode to "duck hunter" mode in less than 2 minutes, for less than $150... and both guns are pretty inexpensive, and readily available used, in good condition all over the internet (and likely at your local gun shop or pawn shop)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Not sure, I'm not big into shotguns.
Try to find an older 870 if you can. They run like hell. More recent ones are of lesser quality thanks to the "new" Remington.
Agree with this ^^^

find an 870 made prior to the 90's.. and you will get a gun that will last you the rest of your life.. and the rest of the next 3 generations lives in your family..

fabulously built shotguns..

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'll throw in a vote for Benelli Nova. Can be had around 300 used. I like mine, better balance than the 500 and 870, fits me a bit better, and never a malfunction.

Biggest downside is it stays pretty much as it did out the box. There's no toys for it like the 870 and 500.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Agree with this ^^^

find an 870 made prior to the 90's.. and you will get a gun that will last you the rest of your life.. and the rest of the next 3 generations lives in your family..

fabulously built shotguns..
you want smooth and fast in a pump.. find an old school Ithaca Model 37.. there is nothing better in those categories...

It lacks all the aftermarket add on capabilities that youll find for mossberg, remmington, and winchester products.. and can be a bit more pricy due to lack of availability, etc..

but.. if what you want is an action as smooth as a babys butt... and the fastest possible cycle available in a pump.. the Ithaca cant be beat..

I used to run circles around guys doing multiple target engagements that were using Benelli M1's, M4's, and Rem 1100 auto loaders.. itthe 37 is an incredibly fast platform.. that is light, points naturally, etc.. but if you want to hang all sorts of tacticool shit off of it.. (even just a light).. its going to be harder to deal with than other previously recommended shotguns..

If we're talking a "multi-purpose" shotgun.. something that needs to fill home defense as well as hunting and/or other roles (trap/skeet, play, etc..)... its going to be hard to beat a Rem 870 or a Mossy 500... a quick barrel swap and you can take either of those guns from "combat" mode to "duck hunter" mode in less than 2 minutes, for less than $150... and both guns are pretty inexpensive, and readily available used, in good condition all over the internet (and likely at your local gun shop or pawn shop)...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another vote for the Benelli Nova. If you have to have a Remington 870 try to find a used wingmaster. The 870 express is the same gun only made with much cheaper components, steer clear.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
T
The wingmaster is going to ussually have a walnut high gloss stock and fore end as well as a blued barrel and reciever. Engraving will vary. I agree the older ones are of a high quality but would also recomend finding one with Rem-Chokes.

The 11-87 i have is from the early 80's and is amazing!

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I've been thinking of getting this Mossberg for a few months.
I have one, it's a good cheaper shotgun. For the home it's gonna be great but it's not something I'd want to put through abuse in the field. I have a Remington 887 for that.

The wingmaster has more rust protection than a regular express does so it stands up to more water in the field.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldnt agree more on the Cbid and wineador. I am looking for an upland game bird mostly pheasants but still able to get the job done with turkeys. I had an 870 and it was regularly jammed on ejection I got so I could take it apart pretty quick and back together in no time. No apparent reason for the jams and a couple of gunsmiths couldnt figure it out.
Are you left handed?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes lefty's have issues with those pump guns. Don't know why? Most of the lefty's I hunt/shoot with either end up with designated left hand guns (action on opposite side of the receiver) or Ithaca / Browning with bottom ejection.